U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should a "Senior Forum" be added?
Yes, add a Senior Forum to the existing Retirement Forum. 41 49.40%
No, the present Retirement Forum covers the ground just fine. 42 50.60%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2011, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is an excellent idea, but I'd prefer a neutral word. Over 55 (or 60) would be ideal. There are many older people who work who feel that a forum for the retired is not really friendly towards them. That's certainly been the case here where work and job seem frequently to be used in a derogatory sense.

Older people have different medical problems from the young, different investment needs, even different security and self defense needs. It doesn't matter whether they're employed. A current thread on elderly drivers is a perfect example of this. Retirement should be a subforum of Over 55, however, not the other way around.
^^^ I agree with this. And I like "Over 60" rather than "Seniors" (never liked that word, and I really dislike the term "senior citizens" )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2011, 06:15 AM
 
13,773 posts, read 33,923,532 times
Reputation: 10561
Admin is the one that makes those decisions and if you want to get their attention then you will need to post/move this to About the Forum.

I agree, I would prefer it say 'Senior' Forum but I think Admin has let 'us' chose the topics we care to discuss here. There is no way to make it a 60+ (as an example) only forum. You can ask but it might not happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 06:20 AM
 
8,204 posts, read 11,923,585 times
Reputation: 18020
I would love to see two separate forums. That way, I wouldn't have to constantly scroll past threads in the Retirement Forum such as what cute things someone's grandchild said that morning, or dealing with dysfunctional family members, or any number of other threads that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of retirement. But of course, having two threads begs the question: Does that mean we'd now have identical threads in two separate forums on subjects that have nothing to do with either topic just because someone put "senior" or "retiree" in the title?

I can see it now:

Seniors: What do you know about Smart Meters?
Retirees: What do you know about Smart Meters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Admin is the one that makes those decisions and if you want to get their attention then you will need to post/move this to About the Forum.

I agree, I would prefer it say 'Senior' Forum but I think Admin has let 'us' chose the topics we care to discuss here. There is no way to make it a 60+ (as an example) only forum. You can ask but it might not happen
Thanks for your comments. I was already aware that this was the wrong place to post my OP if I wanted a change to be made. But since I am in favor of keeping the status quo, I was more interested in seeing what other regulars in this forum think. Some of us regulars in the Retirement Forum may not frequent "About the Forum".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,880,641 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
^^^ I agree with this. And I like "Over 60" rather than "Seniors" (never liked that word, and I really dislike the term "senior citizens" )
I don't mind the term senior citizen because a senior citizen is anybody 20 years older then I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I would love to see two separate forums. That way, I wouldn't have to constantly scroll past threads in the Retirement Forum such as what cute things someone's grandchild said that morning, or dealing with dysfunctional family members, or any number of other threads that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of retirement. But of course, having two threads begs the question: Does that mean we'd now have identical threads in two separate forums on subjects that have nothing to do with either topic just because someone put "senior" or "retiree" in the title?

I can see it now:

Seniors: What do you know about Smart Meters?
Retirees: What do you know about Smart Meters?
Boy do I ever regret starting that thread, I will never hear the end of it.

I do agree with you that the Retirement thread does go off the beam. I feel for the moderators who have to keep us aging folks in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Thanks for your comments. I was already aware that this was the wrong place to post my OP if I wanted a change to be made. But since I am in favor of keeping the status quo, I was more interested in seeing what other regulars in this forum think. Some of us regulars in the Retirement Forum may not frequent "About the Forum".
Where do you find About the Forum? (another poster referred me to it but I don't see it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Reputation: 32309
Default Older people not yet retired may feel excluded.

Happy in Wyoming and NewEnglandGirl have raised the excellent point that the name "Retirement Forum" excludes older people who have not yet retired. To me, the solution is not to add another forum, but to modify the name of the existing one: Retirement and Senior Issues Forum. That's what is really is anyway! And the modified name would just be more accurate and more inclusive. Now I wish I had included that as a third option in the poll (retaining one forum but re-naming it), which just illustrates how other people's viewpoints often help clarify our own thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Happy in Wyoming and NewEnglandGirl have raised the excellent point that the name "Retirement Forum" excludes older people who have not yet retired. To me, the solution is not to add another forum, but to modify the name of the existing one: Retirement and Senior Issues Forum. That's what is really is anyway! And the modified name would just be more accurate and more inclusive. Now I wish I had included that as a third option in the poll (retaining one forum but re-naming it), which just illustrates how other people's viewpoints often help clarify our own thinking.
Yes I vote for the modified name, on second thought. Or maybe: Senior Issues and Retirement - only so that those googling "senior" will find the thread more quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 07:19 AM
 
8,204 posts, read 11,923,585 times
Reputation: 18020
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Boy do I ever regret starting that thread, I will never hear the end of it.

I do agree with you that the Retirement thread does go off the beam. I feel for the moderators who have to keep us aging folks in line.
Didn't mean to pick on you specifically, it's just that that thread was the first one I saw. There have been plenty of threads where people put "senior" or "retiree" in the title for the sole purpose of trying to make the subject applicable to this forum.

I did find it sublimely ironic though when out of all the inappropriate threads on this forum, your retiring on a literal shoestring thread was the one that got moved to a different forum (at least until the decision was reversed.)

Apparently, the discussion of something actually retirement-related was deemed not appropiate for this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top