Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:24 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I like hot weather. I don't care if I never see snow again.
I just talked to my son who lives in Westchester county, NY.About 10 inches of snow. Not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Houston is horrible but really, most of Texas is. I've considered Arkansas (have a friend in Bella Vista), but I just can't stand the thought of moving to another tornado state. I'm from Burbank, so we have a little in common as far as living elsewhere is concerned. I will take the possible threat of earthquakes any day to the possibility of tornadoes.
I've never been personally affected by tornadoes, but did experience one flying right over our house my first night in Arkansas. In Houston, hurricanes are the biggest issue. We had some costly damage from Ike, but it was pretty exciting when I had to run outside during the height of the hurricane. I felt like one of those reporters on the Weather Channel.

I always kind of enjoyed the earthquakes in L.A. and I experienced two pretty big ones in 1971 and 1987. Honestly, I love Los Angeles but I would miss the seasons I learned to love in AR if I moved back.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I've never been personally affected by tornadoes, but did experience one flying right over our house my first night in Arkansas. In Houston, hurricanes are the biggest issue. We had some costly damage from Ike, but it was pretty exciting when I had to run outside during the height of the hurricane. I felt like one of those reporters on the Weather Channel.

I always kind of enjoyed the earthquakes in L.A. and I experienced two pretty big ones in 1971 and 1987. Honestly, I love Los Angeles but I would miss the seasons I learned to love in AR if I moved back.
You get seasons in Houston?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Now after almost five years in Washington after decades in Texas our only regret is that we did not find a way to move sooner.
Shhhh...if the extreme drought and heat in Texas is The New Normal, I'm afraid we'll get overrun by climate refugees!

Actually, speaking from the point of view of a lifelong resident of the Pacific NorthWET (Oregon and Washington), I feel absolutely blessed to be living in the best climate in the entire nation. There's no real climate extremes in the mild maritime western areas of the state from the Cascades to the ocean, and the nine months of "mizzle" (drizzly rain and mist combined) keeps everything cool and green.

Oh, wait, lots of people can't relate to nine months of moisture falling, even if they don't have to shovel it. Best set your sights on the four-season climate areas or that Arizona sun.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:18 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I turned 63 in May and I have come to the realization that I have better things to do with my time than shoveling and blowing snow, and mowing grass.
So, I guess you hire someone? As long as I can, I'll being doing my yard work. It's good exercise. I only meant that you could do it but if you don't want to do it, that's another story. I'm sorry my post was misconstrued.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post

I haven't either, but the scare and potential is there almost every time there's a bad storm. I did have a storm cellar put in after that killer that hit Jarrell. No more living in Texas without one, way too dangerous.

I love L.A. too, but I could never afford to move back now. It was stupid to leave, but when one is 28, thinking clearly and weighing all options doesn't always happen. I was in the 1971 Sylmar quake too, living in Burbank, but in 1987, I was in Texas. It was scary, but I think the weather here is scarier. I was also in the Tehachapi quake in 1952, but I don't remember it, only four years old at the time and living in Burbank. My sister does and my parents said it was a humdinger, about like Sylmar, I guess. The one in 1987 was the Northridge quake, right?

I've got to find a place with four seasons and am looking into southwestern VA more than any other place right now.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
As I get older, I have less tolerance for both extreme heat and extreme cold. And I've experienced both lately, having spent last winter and spring in ND and this last record-breaking summer and fall in TX. Early next year I'm moving to a moderate climate that's neither extremely hot nor extremely cold/snowy.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaRose View Post
As I get older, I have less tolerance for both extreme heat and extreme cold. And I've experienced both lately, having spent last winter and spring in ND and this last record-breaking summer and fall in TX. Early next year I'm moving to a moderate climate that's neither extremely hot nor extremely cold/snowy.
Ain't that a li'l bass-akward?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Wife and I met in So Calif, Orange County. I had lived in So Calif since going to San Diego in the Navy in '68 from Indiana. I had visited, and was thinking about moving to Wyoming, Montana, Colorado or Oklahoma, but just never made the move. My wife had lived in So Calif for 30 yrs before meeting me. She grew up in Michigan and moved to So Cal because her sister had and told her the weather there was much better than Michigan was. After wife and I met, I found out that she was planning on a move to Laughlin, NV to, in part, to get away from her family. After my visit to Denver, CO, a few years before meeting her, I continued to think about moving there, but still didn't. So, I asked her about a move to there after we were married. She was all for the move and getting back into 4-seasons again. She had grown to miss them while living in So Calif. The move to Denver metro was a good one and we did enjoy the winters until my surgeries happened that I've already talked about.

I was in the Navy and had a room at the Armed Forces YMCA in San Diego when the Sylmar, Calif earthquake hit in 1971. I got woke up by my bed shaking like mad and thought someone was under my bed! When the quake settled down, I realized that it had been an earthquake......something I'd never been in before.

I was living with a girl when the 1994 Northridge quake hit. It was somewhat weird because it happened in the morning when we were in bed and ..........(yes, that)! We jumped out of bed and kneeled down in a doorway. Yes, it was real scary!

I remember being in another one while I was at work. I was in the warehouse area and a guy was in a one-person restroom in the warehouse. The whole building shook for a few seconds. The guy in the restroom came out, after it ended, and said, while zipping up his pants......"what the He** was that?". All of us in the warehouse laughed our butts off and told him.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 10-30-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Cold temperatures are just about having the RIGHT GEAR. This means the right kind of heating, the right kind of insulation in the house, the right kind of vehicle, the right kind of clothing.

Hot temperatures are pretty much limited to having air conditioning. There is only so much clothing you can take off. And without AIR, there is dam little you can do to deal with humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement