Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

I made my comment about most of the men waiting for their wives is because when we strike up conversations with each other that's what we are doing. The winner is the one who has their wife come first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I made my comment about most of the men waiting for their wives is because when we strike up conversations with each other that's what we are doing. The winner is the one who has their wife come first.
Perhaps a small variation of who wins might be which wife has charged less on the ol credit card?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Perhaps a small variation of who wins might be which wife has charged less on the ol credit card?
Those conversations occur but the results aren't known at the time.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM

281 posts, read 750,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Gee. I wonder what happened to the OP. He must be busy at the mall.
HA HA! Still here but still going to the mall because my social skills and inability to make a connection with people is causing me to do solitary activities like killing time at the mall. I am afraid many of the fellow seniors I see killing time at the mall wish they were doing more interactive actiivties but are intorverts like me or lost their social skills in their old age.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
HA HA! Still here but still going to the mall because my social skills and inability to make a connection with people is causing me to do solitary activities like killing time at the mall. I am afraid many of the fellow seniors I see killing time at the mall wish they were doing more interactive actiivties but are intorverts like me or lost their social skills in their old age.
Are you for real or just playing with us?

If you are serious (and I am really doubting it at this point) -- you have now found a forum where no social skills--other than at least a modicum of civility--are required. So welcome to your new retirement hangout, lolololol.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Can't say that I relate. If you don't like what you're doing with your time, do something else.
Agreed. My mother is 79 and volunteers with two organizations, attends exercise classes, and generally keeps herself occupied. She has no time to sit around a mall and people watch.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Ya know what? Volunteer, excercise, take up a cooking class, climb a mountain, read a book, snooze on the couch, watch the grass grow, sit at the mall, don't sit at the mall. We are retired. We can and should be doing whatever we want to do.

And that means no more competing thinking about what we think we should be doing. I think some retirees may be trying to do stuff just to try to impress other people that they still can do stuff. Still running in a rat race only of a different type from the one in which they ran when they were working.

Just because I am old doesn't mean I can't.....................

Okay, I said my piece. Now I'm gonna take a nap.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Ya know what? Volunteer, excercise, take up a cooking class, climb a mountain, read a book, snooze on the couch, watch the grass grow, sit at the mall, don't sit at the mall. We are retired. We can and should be doing whatever we want to do.

And that means no more competing thinking about what we think we should be doing. I think some retirees may be trying to do stuff just to try to impress other people that they still can do stuff. Still running in a rat race only of a different type from the one in which they ran when they were working.

Just because I am old doesn't mean I can't.....................

Okay, I said my piece. Now I'm gonna take a nap.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Telling the story about my parents and how they got away from each other suddenly brought to mind something my sister told me long after both of them were gone. Kinda goes along the lines of sitting in a mall except it was a cemetery.

In trying to keep the piece and getting out from under my mom's feet, my dad used to take walks in a beautiful cemetery a few blocks away from where they lived. There were benches where people could sit and commune with nature or the deceased, their choice. After I moved away to Portland when I would come back to Chicago for a visit if the weather permitted my dad would take me for a walk in the cemetery and point out all his favorite stones and makers. He would show me the monuments of famous people.

One day, my dad happened to be sitting on a favorite bench just watching the birds and people walking through when a lady about his age sat down on the bench next to him. It turned out she was a widow whose husband's grave was nearby. They got to talking. From then on they would often run into each other on that bench during the nice weather and would chat about their lives, kids, spouses etc. They were both of the same religion and shared very similar backgrounds: parents from the old country, experiences of WWII, The Depression, health issues and stories.

This was Chicago so nice weather of course was not all year 'round but both liked to go for their walks so they often met.

These little encounters gave them both something to do and were probably their version of going to the mall. No activity other than observing their surroundings and chatting. When only one of them showed up, it was just sitting and watching life go by which each was perfectly content to do.

I don't remember the circumstances but my older sister somehow managed to meet my dad's friend's daughter after the friend and my dad had both passed away. She told my sister that my dad's friend had been very depressed after her husband had died and meeting my dad had given her such happiness she had regained her spirit. My dad was a great talker with a good sense of humor. So the friend's daughter thanked my sister for my dad's kindness.

Geez. I'm walking down memory lane tonight.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM

281 posts, read 750,840 times
Everyone suggests that you just do all kinds of interesting things and your life will be great. That is similar to asking an introverted kid with Asbergers to just be social and go to parties and your social life will be great. Those of us who sit in silence at the big shopping mall are there and not doing those interesting things for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement