Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM

7,133 posts, read 12,672,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Lord I hate that phrase, give back to your community, as if we've stolen something or owe it something. We owe the community nothing, as the community owes us nothing.
People who have strong social ties live longer and live happier. Many studies have proven this. I think of community involvement as karma. Today I might not need the community food bank's help. Tomorrow? Who knows? My work with the Friends of the Library feels as though it's contributing to literacy and provides a community service we all can enjoy. I've loved libraries since I first got my library card a few moons back. Many moons back, in fact.

I suppose if I lived in isolation alone on a mountain top and had no community I might feel the same as the OP. But I don't. Nor do I want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Best advice ever.

I am kind of surprised at how some people are so determined to persuade others how to live their lives. I would have hoped that as seniors, we would have learned to be more tolerant of other people's choices whether it's sitting at malls or running marathons.
Here's some more good advice - you might want to read the OP's post before you write your own post.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Here's some more good advice - you might want to read the OP's post before you write your own post.
She was referring to comments on this thread, not the op. No reason for that snarky attack.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I think of community involvement as karma. Today I might not need the community food bank's help. Tomorrow? Who knows?
Along those lines... I have a friend who volunteers at a hospital gift shop. When those volunteers need hospital care you'd better believe they get extra service and attention. Not that it's the reason for volunteering at a hospital, but it's a great perk.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
People watching is a fun activity!
To more than a small degree, coming to C-D is a form of people-watching, although I know some will object to that opinion
I hardily agree. I like to think is some small way that I among many, contribute to others by responding to questions, and having good organic discussions. I've totally enjoyed my time on CD. And, beats the heck outta the Mall........................kidding.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I hardily agree. I like to think is some small way that I among many, contribute to others by responding to questions, and having good organic discussions. I've totally enjoyed my time on CD. And, beats the heck outta the Mall........................kidding.
Well, I agree with you both in part.

Shoot, I'm not even retirement age and just came here to this thread cause it popped up on the sideboard. I thought to myself, "self, we've seen a lot of retired people sitting at the mall, and jog-walking circuits in the nice warm safe mall. Might help to say that." And now I have.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Along those lines... I have a friend who volunteers at a hospital gift shop. When those volunteers need hospital care you'd better believe they get extra service and attention. Not that it's the reason for volunteering at a hospital, but it's a great perk.
If that's the case - that the volunteers get extra service and attention - then you're going to the wrong hospital. Robyn

Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The OP is publicly rueing his/her choice to sit at a mall so said tolerance doesn't seem to be an issue here.
I didn't get that impression but if that is the case and he is asking for advice then it makes sense.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 AM

God Bless you Markg91359............So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing about your father....They barely make them like that anymore, and when you meet them your life is enriched for having done so.

OP....I may have read you wrong earlier...But, I took your post as though you were bemoaning the fact that you had nothing more exciting to do daily than sit at the mall. Which in my eyes is fine...I hope my earlier post w/ some links helped if you were thinking about something else to do. If you weren't then bless you for sharing your story, and being part of the CD forum...I'm positive if you took a cup of coffee over to the senior on the next bench you could start up a pretty interesting conversation. Whatever you do, may your life be blessed. JanND

Last edited by JanND; 01-24-2013 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I suppose you could look at it that way. My mother just enjoyed watching people, always did. Maybe it allowed her to feel a part of the action. It would be nice if they had smorgosboard, chess, or some of those things elders used to do in the neighborhood park. Bingo seems to have gone too. Families cast aside their elders now, their too busy to be bothered.
Who's to stop you if you carry your chess board into the Mall one day. I'll bet that would be a kick. You might have just thought of a great thing to do here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement