Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 04:41 PM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My parents lived in HH for decade or so.
I visited many a time. I have family that live outside of Bluffton.....

Just a couple thoughts....

1. The heat is beyond just oppressive...it's the worst I have ever experienced in the USA...much worse than coastal FL in the summer. Make sure you like heat and humidity if this is where you choose to live.

2. Real food - for those of us who are "foodies" is much more difficult to come by. If Costco and Wal-Mart and chains are your thing...you will be happy.

3. Health care for those in need.....with relatively serious conditions??? Forget it. This is not a major metro area. My suggestion is that only relatively healthy folks consider it - or those with "common" conditions where most any area would have docs capable of treating you.

4. Despite some golf carts in some communities, you will be living a car-based life in a car-based culture. This should be taken into account.

5. You can't get there from here - HH airport is very small and offers connecting flights. SAV is a bit larger, but world travelers who want to be closer to anywhere (by air) may want to be closer to bigger airports.

If your checklist allows for those....then you should be OK......
Guess we will be ok.
I would rather the heat of the south, then the bitter cold and snow of New England.
Dining and grocery stores were very good IMO'`
Golf carts took you to dining, stores, medical, and any place in Sun City....of course, a golf cart is not going to get you every where
We are not world travelers.....how many are, on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 04:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Guess we will be ok.
I would rather the heat of the south, then the bitter cold and snow of New England.
Dining and grocery stores were very good IMO'`
Golf carts took you to dining, stores, medical, and any place in Sun City....of course, a golf cart is not going to get you every where
We are not world travelers.....how many are, on a regular basis.
Us. Every year until we can't. Then here by car/plane/bus.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:07 AM

35 posts, read 24,060 times
Many thanks to all who participated in this fascinating and informative thread! I enjoyed this look at a way of life different from my own.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:35 PM

404 posts, read 381,201 times
Stumbled upon this thread...

I am wondering if anyone has looked at both Sun City Carolina Lakes and SC Hilton Head and can give any kind of comparison?

Also, if anyone has any feedback on SC Carolina lakes, I would appreciate it. I'm finding it difficult to find much information on it. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Thank you.

Old 03-27-2021, 02:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Even the Indians headed north in the heat

Old 03-31-2021, 04:10 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,675,599 times
1,500 new residences to be built in Sun City.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/lo...250335971.html

"PulteGroup, developers of the age-restricted Del Webb’s Sun City Hilton Head, plan a massive expansion that will add 1,500 homes north of Argent Boulevard in Hardeeville, the company announced last week.

The Atlanta-based construction company announced the expansion in a video with maps and renderings of the plans, including expansive amenities that will “be unrivaled in the southeast,” according to Matt Raines, PulteGroup’s vice president of operations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement