Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:42 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
Thank you! I enjoyed it very much. Love the "warts and all" descriptions.

I can't handle the hot weather so its not for us but I still found your comments to be very interesting.

Our friends moved down to Savannah a few months ago from Chicago (where we live) and love it very much. They moved to the Historic District and have found several new friends already
They love all the dog walking and find its a great way to meet people. Also lots of the "over 50" crowd so they feel they fit in as opposed to our area up here which is over run with post college age Cub fans (nothing wrong with that!) but, in the summer, its party central up here - way into the wee hours.

Plus you have to keep a sharp eye out for all the cyclists which are coming at you from every direction!!
I don't have the money, but I kind of liked the description. Then I read about their policies. The policy on pets wasn't specific, so I'd wonder if my big guy, shepard mix, would be welcome, and how it would be hard to pick which cat to take, and the ones staying behind I'd worry about all the time.

I want to live somewhere there's a good group of fans... as in science fiction fandom. There IS a pretty good convention in OKC, but getting there and the room would be that ONE thing to look forward to each year. And likely couldn't afford it at all. But that world, science fiction fans, room parties, filk sings (filk is a science fiction version of folk songs), all that is something I miss enough I want to, NEED to have it again.

Right now, the best option is staying. Maybe not always or move in with my son. But what I learned which makes it work is I see I and all of us are on a journey. We don't know where we'll stop or when, but we'll know it when we see it. And part of our journey is learning that the where and the how and the little pile of things and ideas and limitations takes us is up to what we choose to hold close and lead us to more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 07:36 AM

11 posts, read 13,979 times
I found this thread as I was searching for info from people about their experience living in Sun City Hilton Head or just in the Hilton Head vicinity. I realize this discussion has been going on for a few years, I have read all the posts and found it very helpful reading everyones comments. I wondered if I could get some feedback about SCHH and HH in general based on living there now. We have been to visit the area three times, once in April and the other times in August, and really like it. We were surprised that during those times there was not more traffic on 278 and that restaurants/stores, etc were not more crowded. We are wondering if it is really June and July and early August when it would be at its peak with visitors? Also, since Sun City HH is located off of the island, during those months is that area significantly impacted as far as crowded highways, shopping, restaurants? Or, if you live 12-15 miles out where it is located you can still maneuver around pretty normally with some increase in people if you just plan when to go out? I am also curious about the weather there. We live in Atlanta and I am thinking there is not a significant difference as far as temps / humidity, so if we want to be out golfing, swimming etc. it's going to be more uncomfortable especially in M/J/J/A, during the mid-day in particular, so just plan outdoor activities accordingly? Finally, if anyone can give feedback about living in Sun City HH now, that would be helpful. We understand the old/new area and tax thing, we wonder about access to being able to play golf, and use facilities/groups/activities with 8,000 families there now? We know that 55+ communities aren't for everyone, but we like them for us. We have been to other communities in FL/SC and GA and have ruled them out for different reasons, so that is why we are seeking info about Hilton Head. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2018, 05:45 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachesNGolf View Post
I found this thread as I was searching for info from people about their experience living in Sun City Hilton Head or just in the Hilton Head vicinity. I realize this discussion has been going on for a few years, I have read all the posts and found it very helpful reading everyones comments. I wondered if I could get some feedback about SCHH and HH in general based on living there now. We have been to visit the area three times, once in April and the other times in August, and really like it. We were surprised that during those times there was not more traffic on 278 and that restaurants/stores, etc were not more crowded. We are wondering if it is really June and July and early August when it would be at its peak with visitors? Also, since Sun City HH is located off of the island, during those months is that area significantly impacted as far as crowded highways, shopping, restaurants? Or, if you live 12-15 miles out where it is located you can still maneuver around pretty normally with some increase in people if you just plan when to go out? I am also curious about the weather there. We live in Atlanta and I am thinking there is not a significant difference as far as temps / humidity, so if we want to be out golfing, swimming etc. it's going to be more uncomfortable especially in M/J/J/A, during the mid-day in particular, so just plan outdoor activities accordingly? Finally, if anyone can give feedback about living in Sun City HH now, that would be helpful. We understand the old/new area and tax thing, we wonder about access to being able to play golf, and use facilities/groups/activities with 8,000 families there now? We know that 55+ communities aren't for everyone, but we like them for us. We have been to other communities in FL/SC and GA and have ruled them out for different reasons, so that is why we are seeking info about Hilton Head. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum PeachesNGolf. Great questions and as one of the contributors to the thread I have some input for you. First I think you could also ask some of these questions in the South Carolina forum and I even think there is a Hilton Head sub forum too. Both are part of City-Data forums. You can drill back to see the states and communities as well.

I didn't look at Sun City Hilton Head but there are some here who have. They can better answer your question for both HH and SCHH. But as for Del Webb communities I could actually live there. I actually seriously considered it looking in Summerville and visiting Sun City Carolina. I liked the layout and all the stuff that is around. But my wife felt we were too far from mountains for her liking and so that kind of went. We actually visited a few communities like Del Webb and I could see myself living there but then other aspects are that my wife would have to agree and so far we have not found the place that we both would switch for. We say that because we have a nice place here and it is paid for so.... and if we want to go golfing in HH we would just get up and go. Then we can come back to the familiar.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Oldsoldier1976, thank you very much for the welcome and the information! I am just learning how to use this and your suggestions to check the SC and HH forums are very helpful and I will do that! Thanks again!

Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Sun City Charleston and Sun City Hilton Head are alike in name only. Their amenities are like night and dad with HH having all the amenities one could want with Charleston having little other then a pool and clubhouse.

Misleading about both is that neither are close to their named location HH nor Charleston

Old 09-03-2018, 01:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
My parents lived in HH for decade or so.
I visited many a time. I have family that live outside of Bluffton.....

Just a couple thoughts....

1. The heat is beyond just oppressive...it's the worst I have ever experienced in the USA...much worse than coastal FL in the summer. Make sure you like heat and humidity if this is where you choose to live.

2. Real food - for those of us who are "foodies" is much more difficult to come by. If Costco and Wal-Mart and chains are your thing...you will be happy.

3. Health care for those in need.....with relatively serious conditions??? Forget it. This is not a major metro area. My suggestion is that only relatively healthy folks consider it - or those with "common" conditions where most any area would have docs capable of treating you.

4. Despite some golf carts in some communities, you will be living a car-based life in a car-based culture. This should be taken into account.

5. You can't get there from here - HH airport is very small and offers connecting flights. SAV is a bit larger, but world travelers who want to be closer to anywhere (by air) may want to be closer to bigger airports.

If your checklist allows for those....then you should be OK......

Old 09-03-2018, 01:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
^^ From our visit I have to agree 100% with everything craigiri wrote.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:35 PM

Thanks to all, I appreciate your input!

I have a small home my grandparents left to me in Naples, Florida. I love going there for a week or two maybe five or six times a year, but I don't want to live there. Its been a place I have been going since 1971 so I do understand the heat and humidity, and honestly this last year in Atlanta, has felt just about the same as FL. Craigiri, your thoughts on medical care and traveling by air have been something we have considered. Our health is good, now, but you never know what the future brings. And, we do want family and friends to visit, so them being able to fly into us with being a great challenge is even more important to us than us being able to fly out.

We are open to other places. We currently live in a beautiful golf community right in the middle between Atlanta and Augusta. While we enjoy our home and the golf, there is nothing beyond our community. It is almost an hour drive to real shopping (shopping, Target, restaurants, car dealerships for car servicing) We are both from metropolitan areas and this is just too remote for us. While we have enjoyed our time here, we need to make a change.

Last edited by PeachesNGolf; 09-03-2018 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: omitted words

Old 09-03-2018, 04:04 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Sun City Charleston and Sun City Hilton Head are alike in name only. Their amenities are like night and dad with HH having all the amenities one could want with Charleston having little other then a pool and clubhouse.

Misleading about both is that neither are close to their named location HH nor Charleston
In defense of Sun City Charleston they are relatively brand new where HH is much older.

I didn't go to HH but know that they started pretty much like any of the other Del Webb communities a few houses and buildings at a time.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:31 PM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
In defense of Sun City Charleston they are relatively brand new where HH is much older.

I didn't go to HH but know that they started pretty much like any of the other Del Webb communities a few houses and buildings at a time.
Charleston Sun City will have 1,000 homes. HH Sun City will have 8,200 homes. Charleston will never come close to the amenities that HH has
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement