Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think that area (and a lot of the coastal SE) is pretty flat to start with - no need to flatten it . Robyn
A question of perception. When we say that here we mean all the trees have been cut down. Considering what I saw around the area I assume the same was done there.

Thanks for the chuckle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
A question of perception. When we say that here we mean all the trees have been cut down. Considering what I saw around the area I assume the same was done there.

Thanks for the chuckle.
In that part of the world (mine too) - most trees in anything but the most pristine places are cultivated pine trees for paper mills. Not old growth sequoias or anything like that. No great loss. Robyn

Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You are entitled to your personal opinion. As we all are. The purpose of the forum is for people to post their viewpoints, whether popular or not. There are many who have said they wouldn't be caught dead in New England. So what? Why would I take offense at that?
You were responding above to MadManofBethesda, not to me, but I have a comment anyway. Of course we are all entitled to our personal opinions, but it seems to me yours was simply off-topic for the present thread, which is about a particular investigation of certain retirement communities. If the thread had been "Pros and cons of living in a 55+ community" then of course your comment would have been squarely on topic.

I have read most of this thread because I was curious, despite the fact that I, like you, am not looking to live in any of these communities. But my personal preference, for this thread, is simply irrelevant and I bring it up only by way of example in explaining to you why I think you got hammered and why I agree with the hammerer in this particular case.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
I respect your comment, ER. Looks like for the years I've been on CD, 99% of the threads stray way off topic sooner than later, it seems to be par for the course, and few posters if any seem to go ballistic over that. I had no idea someone would get so emotional over someone else's view. I emphasized "personal opinion" on the architectural/design aspects, having no intention of passing judgment on any other aspect of DW. Style is salient for some of us, but it does not reflect amenities. I'm sure DW answers many retirees' needs.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
NEG: I support you. I don't think you did anything other than give your opinion. I tend to be pretty outspoken myself, so I better "watch it" on here.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 AM

419 posts, read 656,610 times
There are a few on these boards that one just has to ignore. It seems they love to pick arguments, or whatever you want to call it if you voice an opinion they don't agree with. This is a free country with lots of different opinions and if people don't like it - tough.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
I think most defend where they live including many who never lived anywhere else. Also some take things personal. When I say I would never again live anywhere that has a cold/snowy winter it is not a personal swipe at where you live if you have such a winter.

I once had someone ask how could you leave such and such area. I asked if they had ever lived outside that area. They said no and they never would. All well and fine but many do not like someplace as well as you do. Again, cold/snow anywhere is my idea of hell and I have lived in it in several states......never again....LOL

Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Again, cold/snow anywhere is my idea of hell and I have lived in it in several states......never again....LOL
Now you are offending my personal taste, lol.

(actually, I agree with you)

Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM

419 posts, read 656,610 times
I personally love the snow as long as I don't have to get out in it. Saying that it has been many, many years since I was 16 since I lived in it. (NYC age 8-16). I love the 4 seasons; hubby would rather not have snow (ID boy). It will be interesting where we land when he retires. Florida or the Carolinas.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:44 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
This has been an awesome thread. I only found it by going to New Posts, but I read it because some relatives live in HH. I had no idea this is what is in store for us when we decide to retire! And it makes me really sad that my parents never got the chance to move to a retirement community before my mother died and my dad lost the will to live with her. I knew they would enjoy it, and they had so many plans, but...you know how it goes.

Thank you so much for an enlightening journey into our future. I can totally see us living somewhere like this when we get ready to settle down into our silver years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement