Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 24,697 times

Advertisements

To Robyn 55:

The golf courses in Sun City Hilton Head are owned AND operated by the SCHH Community Association, not Pulte. You must be looking at outdated information.

Like most large private communities, we have a management contractor, FirstService Residential, who manages the entire property under the guidance of our Board of Directors. Pulte has nothing to do with FirstService, nor are any Pulte funds involved.

Golf is one division of the SCHH Community Association organization, just like Activities, Grounds, Security, etc.

While you might technically be able to argue that Pulte "operates" the course because they have a majority on the BOD, I think that would be a very weak argument. There is a very active resident Golf Advisory Committee that keeps close tabs on all aspects of the operation as well as the Finance Committee who also watches the dollars and budgets. I'd say there is no single aspect of Sun City life that is more poked, prodded and inspected.

South Carolina has very little in the way of Community Association regulations. Certainly nothing compared to Nevada and Arizona. We look after our own interests and most seem satisfied that things are being handled very well. The issues of turnover from the builder, reserve funds, etc. etc are all being closely monitored and planned by resident organizations.

Finally, I think the 20% average population of golfers is average for this area unless you are talking about one of the mandatory golf membership communities. One of the strengths of SCHH is that we are not dependent on the golf courses as our main source of recreation.

DGR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 04:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawl47 View Post
...While you might technically be able to argue that Pulte "operates" the course because they have a majority on the BOD, I think that would be a very weak argument. There is a very active resident Golf Advisory Committee...
If the developer is in control - it's in control. No matter how many friggin' advisory committees you have. When will the "turnover" be to residents where you live - if ever? Robyn

Old 09-22-2014, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 24,697 times
I suspect Pulte will be built out in about 4 years. At some point they will see the handwriting on the wall and start edging out. As it is now, they have not kept a heavy thumb on the BOD and things seem to flow smoothly, mostly because Pulte's interests are pretty much the same as the residents.... a successful, well-run community that lives within its means and attracts new residents.

Current info I saw on our website this week:

Amount of resident used for golf in 2014? $0.00

Approximately 1350 new residents were added to SCHH in 2014 and a similar number is expected this year.

Resales made up 75% of the housing market.

DGR

Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
About 5 yrs. ago when I visited, I asked about the ages of residents in several Sun Cities. I always got the same answer from the sales people. "Average age is 62." Well, now those same folks would be at least 67!! But I bet they are still saying 62. At one Sun City we stood outside the room in the community hall and waited for the bingo group to finish. EEK! Most people seemed to be in their late 70's or early 80's. But maybe that's just bingo!

It seems to me, though, if new homes are still being built, that the new residents will be younger.

As far as prices go, in both Sun City Carolina Lakes and Deaton Creek (outside ATL), I have seen price of homes increase a lot in that 5 years, even considering the real estate bust.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've lived here for 7 years.
People do move in and out. When people get in their mid- 80's or start to have real mobility problems, they tend to move back closer to family.
We were young at 59 and 60, but they are plenty of younger people.
House prices- we paid $ 279,000 in 2007 and the resale prices are still a little below that now. But the newer models in Jasper County are more expensive.
Golf courses- please understand that the amenity fees that we pay do not support the golf courses. We like that,since we don;t play.But we get the benefit of having nice open spaces.
We never thought we would live in gated adult community either. But we have lots of built in activities and lots of friends. Last week I played Canasta, went to two club meetings, went out to dinner with friends, and next week we go kayaking ( best place in the country), political club meeting, maybe go to Hilton Head to walk on the beach, drive to Savannah for the best fried chicken in the world,
Huge wood shop, dog park, softball teams, huge tennis program, cyclingetc. As busy as you want to be.
The houses may look similar on the outside, but the real individuality lies on the inside. Best of all, no snow, no steps, 5 pools, and a days drive to family in the Mid Atlantic area.
I have several friends whose husbands didn't want to move, had no plans to join any clubs etc. Now the husbands are at the wood shop making beautiful items, playing golf and are much more social than the wife!

Old 12-22-2014, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,191 times
Default Great article about Sun City Hilton Head... Here's more info...

First, I want to thank you for your thoroughness. Second, I'd like to add additional and corrected information. j

1) You can BUILD at age 50 (at least one of you, if a couple).

2) You can BUY (a resale) at age 55.

So, if you're like me and anxious to get the best possible chance at building exactly what you want, on the ideal lot you desire, you can do so at age 50... I did! We rented it out a couple of years until the "baby" finished high school, then only rented it to "snow birds" from UP North for 3-6 months during winter. We used it the rest of the year as a vacation house until we retired and were ready to move in full time. Over 55-year-old tenants tend to take real good care of your property and furnishings. Carolina Rental Services near Food Lion rented and maintained our property for us in our absence. Ask for Barbara!

One of our tenants ended up building in Riverbend (Sun City's custom home section) nearby and the other tenant got a resale in Sun City. So many people tend to rent in the winter to check it out for the future.

Other points to add and correct:

3) LOWE'S Home Improvement Store if conveniently located in Bluffton about 8 miles away. Just a couple of miles further than Home Depot. No driving clear to Rincon, GA for me! If you plan to do lots of renovations to your home, get their Lowes Credit Card, and everything qualifies for 5% discount!

4) Okatie Ale House is popular because of their locale on a man-made lagoon and fun atmosphere. It often attracts a younger crowd than Sun City residents. And many of us bring our families when they visit. However, because it's just outside one of our many "side gates", it is very convenient. The food is quite good, and their bar is popular. They also have a large deck with outdoor dining overlooking the "lagoon" and plenty of sports TVs. It's basically a popular "sport's bar". Definitely worth a try!

5) The $2M wood shop is for those that love to create. Say you want to remodel your fireplace mantel, or create a coffee table. You can take a safety class, pay for a month of use or more, then create your piece. It has amazing equipment, I'm told. Volunteers are there to ask questions of. Help yourself!

If you want a place that your family will want visit you...This is it! With the HHI beaches, scenic areas of nearby historic Beaufort and Savannah (even Charleston), fabulous dining, and Tanger Outlet Mall, your guests will not be bored. Just look at all those out-of-state license plates! This is a tourist destination! Golf courses everywhere! Sun City Hilton Head has 3-18 hole courses. Many other public courses nearby. Nearby equistration centers to take the grandkids horseback riding. Tour the Air Force museum and Discovery Center on HHI. You can watch outdoor movies in on "A State of Mind" street in Bluffton. You can see a Gator Farm on nearby Tybee Island at one of my favorite low-country outdoor restaurants "The Crab Shack", and even feed them! There is miniature golf on HHI, visit my favorite beach "Coligny Beach" on HHI with their rocking chairs, hanging chairs and showers. Hear musical performers at Shelter Cove Plaza and many other area restaurants that offer outdoor dining (not available during the winter).

The proximity to Savannah is easy. The Historic waterfront section is within 30 minutes over the scenic free bridge on Hwy 17. You can also get to mall shopping along Olgethorpe within 40 minutes. It has everything the big city shopper wants: Macys, Belks, Dillards, etc. The Savannah airport is convenient and quaint... just great for those relatives and grandkids (I wish) that visit. It even has rockers and palm trees! Puts you "in the southern mood" instantly.

I also love traveling to historic Beaufort (where they filmed "The Big Chill") and some nearby islands. Scenic sites to explore! Quaint shops! Romantic waterfront and outstanding dining! Worth the 30 minute drive. Check out TripAdvisor.com for outstanding dining recommendations.

Also nearby is the Food Lion grocery store, Walgreen's Pharmacy, and Wells Fargo Bank, local fire station, ice cream shop, Sporting Goods store, UPS store, many medical doctors, restaurants and Quality Golf Carts, in case you're shopping for one. You can use your electric run (saves gas!) golf cart to get to all these facilities, including the Wendy's and Golden Corral restaurants across 278. We even have our own overpass/bridge over 278!

The taxes are cheaper on the Resale Side (South Side of 278). It was developed First and has Sold Out!
Beaufort County property taxes are cheaper than Jasper County taxes (North Side). Just ask Realtors!

I liked the comment from the person who said "Living here will add 20 years onto your life!".
That might be somewhat true... I've never met such ACTIVE older residents. Some still work, even full-time, other work part-time, many volunteer at various venues. Wanna get into shape? Many walk or jog daily. Many ride bikes, some casually, some speed by in groups with racing outfits on. We have great fitness centers with classes for those that appeals to and indoor pools, outdoor pools, sidewalks, etc.

The beauty of the development... is worth walking or riding around daily! There is also a Nature Trail. Many use it as a Fitness Trail. I love that it's an elevated boardwalk, but in nature. I've seen armadillo's, striped gator babies, groups of deer, birds, squirrels, etc. The tree-top covering makes it pleasant even during the heat of summer. It has a drinking fountain, benches to rest on, phones for emergencies, and distance markers. No dogs allowed here... for obvious reasons.

With nearly 200 clubs and activities, there is something for everybody. The SunSensation Magazine that is delivered to your mailbox monthly is full of local information. I love reading about the residents, recipes and garden club info. Many impressive residents have had such interesting lives and careers and many are very well traveled and continue to travel. Our WEGO (WhatEver's Going On) club arranges both local days trips and distance travel trips for groups. Singles need never be alone.

Sun City Hilton Head is broken down into around 150 or so neighborhoods or sub-divisions. Mine is "Deer Haven" for instance. These neighborhoods have their own social committees and activities as well. If you like neighborhood holiday parties, potlucks, cookouts, ice cream socials, game nights, cards and/or dominoes, these are a great way to meet people on your nearby streets. It's fun to get involved!

Hope this information helps! I recall when I first visited at age 50 and I kept asking random residents if they liked it here, their comment was always, "I don't like it here, I LOVE it here!".

I love the SUN CITY DIRECTORY. Why? Glad you asked... Residents are listed 3 ways:
1) Alphabetical, by LAST NAME.
2) Street Cross Reference. Forgot the guy's name down the street from a social? Very helpful...
3) Home Town Cross Reference. Want to meet other people from Philly? What about Oregon? What about Italy, Japan, Norway, Canada? We have people that have lived all over the world here!

Thanks for letting me have my say about Sun City Hilton Head. Sorry for any typos!
Hope you plan a visit sometime... You'll love it!

I LOVE it here!

Old 12-22-2014, 03:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Excellent post. Thank you for adding so much information to this thread.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,301 times
I know this is an old post but wondering if someone could give me an update on a move from Boston area to Sun City Bluffton, SC. Moving for financial reasons due to retirement.....thank you, Susan and Paul

Old 05-18-2015, 08:59 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
Why not FL, no income tax?

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Default FL Property Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Why not FL, no income tax?
Many places in FL have very high property taxes.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:46 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,985,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Many places in FL have very high property taxes.
Property tax and income tax are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement