Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 PM

66 posts, read 157,160 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

My wife and I have vacationed in Hilton Head for about 5 years and have always considered retiring in the area. Hoping to spend $300-400,000 on a house, we originally looked at Hilton Head but soon discovered that many of the houses in this price range would need extensive renovation and then we would be the cheap house among many more expensive houses; good for property values but not for feeling part of the community as far as economic viability goes.

We saw quite a few houses in Bluffton that would meet our needs but I have some concerns. While my wife likes Hampton Lakes and Rose Hill, I would like to consider Sun City. I read this thread but I was wondering what your thoughts are on these questions:

1. Of nearly 50 houses that I have seen on line in Bluffton, only a few are selling for more than they did when they were built. I know all about the bubble and its effects but it doesn't seem that this areas has recovered yet? Is it because of the abundance of open land or are there other reasons. Will these homes ever appreciate or is it just a foregone conclusion that the house will not make any money due to the constant influx of new properties.

2. How are the property values in Sun City? Are they consistant with the rest of Bluffton? Do they hold there value over time.

3. What are the demographics like in Sun City? The staff can't say and when we went to a Sun City outside of Atlanta, it seemed that the medium age was in the 70's. My wife is 66 and I will be turning 60 in Dec. Will we be the young kids on the block?

4. Any place that you would stay away from if you were in your 60's?

I would really appreciate and input that you could give me about Sun City and/or Bluffton. Good reliable infor mation is hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 05:19 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
According to the HOA - the average age is 68. So you'll be somewhat younger than average.

SUN CITY HILTON HEAD COMMUNITY REPORT

I think when it comes to current property values - it's "all of the above". Real estate bust - new places coming on line (there's no end of available inland property in this part of the world) - not much good employment nearby (some younger retired people still want to work part-time) etc. Also - when a lot of people retire - they don't want someone's "used" house - they want a new one. Obviously - Hilton Head proper is a much better bet for property values (both now and down the road). Robyn

Old 09-04-2014, 01:24 PM

66 posts, read 157,160 times
Thanks Robyn - you confirmed what I already thought. Might have to look at Hilton Head Plantation again.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
About 5 yrs. ago when I visited, I asked about the ages of residents in several Sun Cities. I always got the same answer from the sales people. "Average age is 62." Well, now those same folks would be at least 67!! But I bet they are still saying 62. At one Sun City we stood outside the room in the community hall and waited for the bingo group to finish. EEK! Most people seemed to be in their late 70's or early 80's. But maybe that's just bingo!

It seems to me, though, if new homes are still being built, that the new residents will be younger.

As far as prices go, in both Sun City Carolina Lakes and Deaton Creek (outside ATL), I have seen price of homes increase a lot in that 5 years, even considering the real estate bust.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
About 5 yrs. ago when I visited, I asked about the ages of residents in several Sun Cities. I always got the same answer from the sales people. "Average age is 62." Well, now those same folks would be at least 67!! But I bet they are still saying 62. At one Sun City we stood outside the room in the community hall and waited for the bingo group to finish. EEK! Most people seemed to be in their late 70's or early 80's. But maybe that's just bingo!
In all fairness, I think it is pretty difficult to assess what the average age of residents are.

Where I am living in AZ, most of the permanent residents are in their 70s and 80s. If you head down there in July, you would think that the average age is close to 80.

During the winter months, the snowbirds arrive and the average age drops considerably.

As a person who has just reached the MINIMUM age for the community, I have already thrown out age as a relevant factor. I routinely work out with 80 year olds who are in better shape than I have ever been. It is rather discouraging to take a hike in the Santa Rita mountains with a 75 year old guy who is waiting for you to catch up with him. Of purse, I moved there because most people are very active.

And I do NOT play bingo.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In all fairness, I think it is pretty difficult to assess what the average age of residents are.

Where I am living in AZ, most of the permanent residents are in their 70s and 80s. If you head down there in July, you would think that the average age is close to 80.

During the winter months, the snowbirds arrive and the average age drops considerably.

As a person who has just reached the MINIMUM age for the community, I have already thrown out age as a relevant factor. I routinely work out with 80 year olds who are in better shape than I have ever been. It is rather discouraging to take a hike in the Santa Rita mountains with a 75 year old guy who is waiting for you to catch up with him. Of purse, I moved there because most people are very active.

And I do NOT play bingo.
Don't know how old you are (don't know what the minimum age for the community is) - but remember that all of us keep getting older (until we're cold and in the ground). And most people who are 60 and ok now will still be ok 10 years down the road. Whereas most 80 year olds probably won't be 10 years from now.

FWIW - in my experience - there's a pretty big difference between most people in their 70's and most people in their 80's. The average age where my 96 year old father now lives (independent living senior facility) is 85. And - believe me - if you're 60 - you don't want to live in a place like that. Robyn

Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Don't know how old you are - but remember that all of us keep getting older (until we're cold and in the ground). And most people who are 60 and ok now will still be ok 10 years down the road. Whereas most 80 year olds probably won't be 10 years from now. Robyn

After hanging all summer with 80 year olds, I am not sure at all that they will not be around for ten years.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Default It Depends on the Person

Quote:
After hanging all summer with 80 year olds, I am not sure at all that they will not be around for ten years.
We had some very dear friends who were age 91 and 93 when they died a few years ago. The wife, who was 93 when she passed was sharp as a tack and still making jokes when she was in the hospital the weeks before her death. Her sweet husband, on the other hand, really was into dementia and depressed the last 6-8 years before his death. It all depends...

Old 09-05-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
My father is still around at age 96. Doesn't mean I care to spend my days with him or people his age,

Note that he has all of his marbles - but devotes most of them to things that are of no interest to me (like his constipation). Also - people at that age are really slow. I deal with my father - because he's my father. But strangers - forget about it. Robyn

Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
I spend 4-5 long weekends a year at Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton) including the coming 09/24 to 09/28. I am 72 and my golfing buddy there is 74. We will play 2 rounds of golf (25th and 27th) while there. The age of the golf group (20 or so) will average late 60's. The more physical activities do draw a more active crowd regardless of their age. No one I know there plays Bingo. My friends and their crowd (65 to 75) "laugh up their sleeves" at Bingo.

As it an over 55 years of age development and not exactly in a economic hot bed area, it does tend to draw more fully retired people versus younger maybe still working some folk in their mid 50s to early 60's. I would guess the average age there to be late 60's versus early 60's. My friend fully retired there at age 65.

Sun City Carolina Lakes is 25 miles from Charlotte NC thus it may draw a younger more urban crowd as it is commutable to Charlotte. I have no hard figures nor experience to back this, but this is what I am lead to believe.

As there are still a lot of new homes being built in Bluffton (including Sun City) thus resale prices have not drastically increased. Resale prices can increase in a defined neighborhood when built out and one with an economically sound Home Owners Association. This is no different then any still undergoing development area.

Knowing the area somewhat, Hilton Head Island does not appeal to me. Traffic is a major issue. The place can be full of tourists crowding the locals out during the "season". Many locals I know take extended vacations during July and August to escape the tourists. If you have ever lived in a tourist area, it can really drive seasonal prices up especially recreation (like golf) and restaurant prices.

Last edited by johngolf; 09-05-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement