Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 12,866 times

Advertisements

Don't blame you for not wanting to live on a lagoon. No privacy and definitely alligators. Grilling out on a lagoon is a death wish. We bought a Pelican Model (resale) - love it on a small lot, with privacy all around (no homes across the street) mature landscape. A barren spance of brown grass across the lagoon in the winter is not very pretty to look at from your patio or lanai. Golf course view comes with constant mowing and activity. You didn't mention the Nature Trail in Sun City. Shaded and maintained year round. They just expanded the parking as it is so popular. As a resident to a non resident thanks for your observations..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 03:58 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufftonstateofmind View Post
...If you are sick and need lots of medical care, I wouldn't move here...Del Webb doesn't believe in sickness.[
What about if you just need a "medium" operation? Can happen at any age. My husband and I have each had one - back when we were in our 30's. But you never know.

My husband and I have never lived in the middle of nowhere - or the periphery of somewhere. Ever. Not from birth until now. Have always had easy access to very good ---> excellent medical care.

So like what does someone who lives in place like Blufton do if - for example - she gets breast cancer (which happens with not only older women - but younger women as well)? When we go to Mayo JAX - we run across lots of people from Georgia and points south and west in Florida (also people from Alabama and South Carolina) for whom Mayo JAX is the closest facility that provides higher end medical care for many common (although somewhat serious) medical things.

I don't need medical facilities to be as convenient as my local Publix. OTOH - they shouldn't be overnight trips. When my late MIL had various problems in the Pinehurst area - she and my late FIL had to schlep to Raleigh/Durham a lot (and the medical facilities in the Pinehurst area were better than those in the Blufton area IMO). Robyn

Old 06-02-2014, 07:14 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I asked my buddy there about medical services. He said the only complaint he ever hears is from new comers saying they miss their old doctors and do not like changing. He does not hear people complaining about medical services there. He says in the 10 years he has been there the medical services in the area have expanded and are still are expanding. Also if any doubts, MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina) in Charleston is less then a two hour drive. MUSC has one of the highest quality reputations in the southeast. Check it out.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
About a 2 hour drive to a great medical institution sounds okay until you have a spouse being treated in that hospital for a long period. At that point, the spouse would have to either make a nearly 4 hour trip every day or rent a hotel room, which would be quite expensive for some people on a limited budget.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:00 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
About a 2 hour drive to a great medical institution sounds okay until you have a spouse being treated in that hospital for a long period. At that point, the spouse would have to either make a nearly 4 hour trip every day or rent a hotel room, which would be quite expensive for some people on a limited budget.
That's what happened with my late inlaws in NC. And my late MIL needed a lot of complicated medical care. It was about a 90 minute - give or take - drive to Raleigh Durham. My husband - over the course of a couple of years - wound up driving my late FIL 3+ hours RT there for perhaps 100-200 days. Don't know what my late FIL would have done had my husband not flown up there and been "the driver".

And you really don't have to be old IMO to have somewhat serious medical issues. I don't need the medical care I need to be as close to me as my local grocery store. But 2 hours each way - no way. Robyn

Old 06-02-2014, 06:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Agreed. My father in law has been making the 75 minute trip to Ohio State University Hospital weekly for months. It is OK as long as the appointment is not close to Columbus's rush hour OR there is no snow or freezing rain ... or my MIL's appointment has not been canceled without prior notice.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
Thanks for the post. I will be visiting Bluffton soon and appreciate your information. In your opinion would this be a good area to relocate to if you are single?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Great post! Interesting read!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
A very timely post, yellowsnow (And I love the screen name!) as we are moving to Sun City Summerlin in west Las Vegas.

Early in 2013 I had severe pain along the right side of my neck across the shoulder that came out of the blue when I rolled over to go to sleep.

It turns out that the phrenic nerve on that side is no longer working. That nerve controls the right diaphragm and it is not only no longer working, but it is pushing up into the lung, which has been damaged as a result.

All this leads to me not being able to breathe as well as I should, and it is worse in high humidity. It also causes me to cough, and cough incessantly in very cold weather.

I have found that I do best in a dry climate that has no winter. Even at the higher elevation (3000 feet vs. 1100) I breathe easier and I cough less. In fact, during our two visits this year I hardly coughed at all. Now that we are back in Iowa getting this house ready to sell, I've started coughing again.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:56 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Tek_Freek - Wondered what happened to you. Sounds like you will need to be very careful with yourself. Last I remember you were remodeling the bathroom so you are that much further along to getting your house ready.

Good luck with your move and I hope this works for you. Last winter must have been a tough one for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement