Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I would think it important to carefully assess what is the most important thing for one to gain by living in 55+. It's not social activities for everyone. There are a number of other amenities besides social, and if those outweigh the social options they could be well worth the move into one. For example I go to church (sometimes) for certain reasons, not the social activities like coffee klatches and picnics. If you are wary of the social stuff, go visit during one of the activities and observe.

At my new local senior center I was excited to see a "ceramics" course listed, for free. Wow. I got all fired up and went and saw a bunch of long tables with oldsters (bless their hearts) who could barely sit up painting pieces made from molds. I thought it was going to be about serious pottery made from scratch! The little talk there was was so depressing I had to excuse myself and leave, sans ceramic piece. But...the senior center offers other things that I can take advantage of.

If, on the other hand, the entire atmosphere is tainted with a feeling of low energy and "oldness" that can really get to someone who is more young at heart. Old in age doesn't have to mean depressing, as some communities are charged with enthusiasm and creativity. I think "style" is the operative word in seeking a 55+.

Well NeG the Del Webb in Charlotte (actually Ft Mills SC) had a full functioning pottery with ovens and everything. That should get you excited about some places.

Just kind of restating what I said in a tread on my assessment of my trip to Charleston. I did visit Sun City Carolina Lakes and my impression was this. It was a bit large for my taste but it was nicely done inspite of the size. The amenities center was amazing. The place is clean and functional. It had rooms that accomodated so many things. There are so many clubs and activities going that no one person could possibly get involved with even half. There are people ther that don't take part in anything then there are the go getters.

All in all I would move there even inspite of the size. What I saw was people my age having a blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Well NeG the Del Webb in Charlotte (actually Ft Mills SC) had a full functioning pottery with ovens and everything. That should get you excited about some places.

Just kind of restating what I said in a tread on my assessment of my trip to Charleston. I did visit Sun City Carolina Lakes and my impression was this. It was a bit large for my taste but it was nicely done inspite of the size. The amenities center was amazing. The place is clean and functional. It had rooms that accomodated so many things. There are so many clubs and activities going that no one person could possibly get involved with even half. There are people ther that don't take part in anything then there are the go getters.

All in all I would move there even inspite of the size. What I saw was people my age having a blast.
That's what I mean. There a places and there are places. One thing the more Southern places have over New England in general (with the exception of Maine, which has a number of senior colleges) is taking seniors more seriously. If I see one more bingo, toe clinic, or gambling trip listed in the various senior centers here I'm going to ____________. I mean, come on.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
You know I'm just curious for those who do live in a 55+ as to whether or not those communities have much turnover in the sense that there is a continual drift in and out of residents? For example where I live turnover was practically nil for many years. And it was a mix of young families and older residents. I'm thinking perhaps this is a community by community issue and it can't be very general.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sounds like you have some good basic notes for writing a book on 55+ communities.
Ha ha ha, you sound my husband. He's always saying "You put all this work into the research, you should write a book and make some money off it." Too bad I don't have that gift for writing that so many of you have. More often than not when I try to write it comes out either stilted or doesn't have the tone I was trying to convey.

Speaking about writing ability, I hope my response to the OP across as being supportive, that's what I was striving for. But I've been posting on city-data long enough to know it's possible it didn't. Sometimes it helps to remember that many of us aren't gifted writers, plus we never know what sort of mood people are in when they post here. Maybe they're in a moment when life stinks or they need coffee or their back hurts, so even though a point may be valid it's also possible it came out sounding crankier than someone meant it to.

Last edited by Caladium; 08-06-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ohhh, that sounds awful!

So what part of the world are you living in?

I was confused about the little girl's hair, tho. If this is a 55 plus community, then why are there children in the pool???

And the dogs--I thought most of these communities banned large dogs.
Those are the guard dogs the op is referring to.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM

419 posts, read 656,561 times
My advice: Rent before buying in any over 55 active adult community to "test the water". Having never lived in one, we want to see if it's for us. We want to have a social network and do things with other people. It is hard to move into a new community in a different state and start over. We are not social butterflies but would truly like to be when we want to. To me, this type of community would be ideal if that is what one is looking for. Good grief, no one community is right for everyone. Growing old is hard enough without being in a place that is not for you.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know I'm just curious for those who do live in a 55+ as to whether or not those communities have much turnover in the sense that there is a continual drift in and out of residents? For example where I live turnover was practically nil for many years. And it was a mix of young families and older residents. I'm thinking perhaps this is a community by community issue and it can't be very general.

I can answer some but there are a couple of people on here that can give a more detailed answer but I know that they have resales and those resales are going just as fast as the new sales. Even in the ones that are just starting. Some who bought in and like the OP found they didn't like it. Others due to health or other changing issues. It is like any other community wether or not it has the 55+ mark or not. The 55+ just limits the buying clients to those that qualify but there is always someone reaching that age everyday. I also think they would make accomodations to someone 50 or so buying in provided they are going to be the primary residents and other considerations. For the most part the people I saw in the Lakes was average age of about 70. We were zipped around through about 1/2 the community or even less. It is hard to tell as we went in circles and in and through places. My wife and I are not looking for new or resale. Right now we are just kicking the tires on it. We both like the concept and liked what we saw. My MIL who would move with us was thrilled and had the time of her life as we zipped around in a rain storm sitting on the back of a golf cart getting soaked to the bone. She was in her glory as she loves the outdoors. Anyway back to the original point travric yes they do have turn over of homes. I don't suspect that there is much profit on the resale but...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Like many forum discussions the ability/desire of the individual to adapt to change plays a major role in the decisions they make and how successful many of those decisions are. Some want and thrive on change and others don't. That is part of what makes us human and individuals.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
Unfortunately, bullies come in all ages, sexes and hair color.
Yup. And along those lines, I wanted to add one more thought about the 55+ Community that cancelled the Beatlemania concert. After I posted that story I began to think about how many times I've seen things like that happen in other places I've lived. It's not just a game that seniors play. In fact it's amazing how often pettiness, politics, and power plays rear their ugly heads when it comes to community events. Why should 55+ communities be any different? And, to be fair, how often we assume we know the reason something is cancelled--and later find out another issue turned out to be the the real reason.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I can answer some but there are a couple of people on here that can give a more detailed answer but I know that they have resales and those resales are going just as fast as the new sales. Even in the ones that are just starting.
FWIW there is a 55+ community just down the street from us that was built in 2006. There are a few new units that are still for sale and also there have been a few resales over the past year. I walk through there almost every day and I've noticed the "For Sale" signs for the resales seem to come down after a few weeks. I see new neighbors moving into those units, so I don't think the sellers just gave up and took the signs down. For that community, at least, it looks like resales have not been a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement