Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,372,321 times

Advertisements

Too many rules, sheeple that walk down the street amassed like zombies toward their 10 o'clock water aerobics class or 11 o'clock bridge game, did I say too many rules? No diving or jumping into the pool, little girls' hair must be braided so as not to clog up the pool filter, etc., etc. No outside sneakers on the treadmills, just clean brand new sneakers so as not to guck up the equipment.

We've found a nearby neighborhood; small back yards insure there are no pools, no german shepherds, and we're thinking of making the change toward freedom. We figure coffins are much too confining, why settle for the restrictions now when we should be raising hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
ohhh, that sounds awful!

So what part of the world are you living in?

I was confused about the little girl's hair, tho. If this is a 55 plus community, then why are there children in the pool???

And the dogs--I thought most of these communities banned large dogs.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Sounds like many rules at gyms and community facilities really. The comment describing persons who like bridge etc and walk together as Zombies might offend some here who live in 55 community and walk to activities with friends.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,916,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Too many rules, sheeple that walk down the street amassed like zombies toward their 10 o'clock water aerobics class or 11 o'clock bridge game, did I say too many rules? No diving or jumping into the pool, little girls' hair must be braided so as not to clog up the pool filter, etc., etc. No outside sneakers on the treadmills, just clean brand new sneakers so as not to guck up the equipment.

We've found a nearby neighborhood; small back yards insure there are no pools, no german shepherds, and we're thinking of making the change toward freedom. We figure coffins are much too confining, why settle for the restrictions now when we should be raising hell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sounds like many rules at gyms and community facilities really. The comment describing persons who like bridge etc and walk together as Zombies might offend some here who live in 55 community and walk to activities with friends.
While I can understand that some people are going to take offense at the OP (Texdav is right; there is nothing wrong with walking with some friends to an activity), I really like your attitude, Ipoetry!

Some of us are just not tempermentally suited for life in a 55+, and perhaps you had to discover that by acually living in one. Or, to put it another way, the one you chose may have more idiotic rules than some others. There is nothing horrible about admitting to having made a mistake and correcting it. Good for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I know from this Retirement Forum that many folks love their 55+ communities and I am happy for them. But I am more like ipoetry; give me my L.A. Fitness gym within walking distance of my home where all ages go and where we get on the treadmills with the same sneakers we put on at home! Give me my townhouse in a 26-unit complex where there is a mixture of ages - some retired like me and others with young toddlers. Having little kids around does make it seem like the "real world" and I like the use of that phrase in the OP.

There is something about this that is hard to put one's finger on, but we are all going to prefer certain environments, certain atmospheres. I spent some time - several days - moving my mother into her retirement community and I was pleasantly surprised by what a cheery atmosphere prevailed. I liked the place - for my mother. But for me, no thanks. Seeing the same faces multiple times a day in the dining hall for how long - years maybe? Two months later my mother died and I spent several more days there with my sister going through all our mother's stuff, and my opinion never changed - I liked the place, for my mother.

Maybe I am just way too young to fit into a retirement community (69). If the time ever comes when I can no longer drive and in addition can no longer prepare food for myself, well then I may have no choice but to have that dining room that I just take an elevator to and where I see the same faces day after day and eat the same style food (even though the specific items vary).

And yes, I understand that in some retirement communities you can have your own home on its own lot, but still, no thanks, not for me. I can relate to what you have written, Ipoetry.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Dining hall? What kind of place did you dump your mother into?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
I tried it, hated it. I was still working but age 55, most of my neighbors were over 80, they had nothing to do but stick their nose in everyone's business, and complain/bicker about everything.

Lasted a whole year, bought a house, no deed restrictions, nice yard and people of all ages. I love it here.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,916,017 times
Default Your assumption is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
There are many, many retirement communities which consist essentially of apartments that offer either two meals a day or three meals a day as part of the rent. These are designed for people who may be challenged by preparing their own food, as my mother was (and that was the main reason she needed to move), although they typically have a small kitchen in each apartment as well. I have visited two other such places in different cities and had lunch in the dining hall with my elderly aunts who lived there. My mother, and one of the aunts, lived in "independent living", which included the meals (as mentioned), and once a week housekeeping services, but no help with the activities of daily living. Often, such places will offer "assisted living" on the same premises should that become necessary. All three places were very nice, as I also visited my two aunts in their appartments before going to lunch with them. My sister had visited a number of such places before deciding that one was best. (Remember that the provision of meals was an absolute requirement).

I don't quite understand the hostility behind your comment about "dumping" our mother somewhere. The implication of that word choice is absolutely false in the actual case of my mother and my sister (and me). Would you care to explain?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
Maybe the poster was kidding? Or is otherwise uninformed about assisted living and how it works. I placed my Mom in one and ate in the dining room with her, whenever I could get there. The food was great and it was a nice place for the elderly to meet others and talk. I never would want to live there, but I think if I am old and infirm, my daughter would be okay with putting me in one and I would not object.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
"Dump" . . . ????

Okay - totally confused on this comment.

One of the biggest draws for independent living centers are the dining halls, which allow the residents the opportunity to eat nutritious, well-prepared meals without having to cook them. That is why many folks even choose that living arrangement.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:09 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times
Default Eating in the Dining Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
"Dump" . . . ????

Okay - totally confused on this comment.

One of the biggest draws for independent living centers are the dining halls, which allow the residents the opportunity to eat nutritious, well-prepared meals without having to cook them. That is why many folks even choose that living arrangement.
And also provide a social atmosphere with others instead of having to eat alone...

We did our best to convince our mother to move out of her big, empty house into a place like this. She refused adamantly and was lonely and sad most of the time until she died. I also think the solitude affected her mentally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement