Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It would be nice to find some kind of hybrid subdivision or community. E.g., I would probably not like the rigidity of a 55+ community. Yet you can check out a house forever, but you have no control over who moves in next door. We looked long and hard for a nice little house in a quiet neighborhood, and found one for a few years. Then a neighbor's single divorced son moved in with her along with his small daughter. Maybe it was guilt from the divorce, but he started buying her every outside toy and piece of play equipment he could find. When a giant trampoline was placed 5 feet from our property and 30 feet from our bedroom window, our mostly quiet and serene life disappeared, and it was like living next to an amusement park. No more reading by the pool or sitting on the lanai. It was 8 kids on a trampoline screaming for hours on end (seriously the entire kid population of the neighborhood hung out there) and, oh yeah, the basketball hoop next to it was a real joy also. Suddenly, I wished the deed restrictions were stricter.
very good example of what can happen outside of these evil, ultrarestrictive, HOA communities.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Lots of illegal trucks on front lawns down here in Florida communities. Guess they're not enforcing the laws down here.
Either they're not enforcing the zoning laws or they don't even have laws in the first place. If you live in an area like that maybe you do need HOAs.

I've never had the problem or even seen that problem but it's pretty strict in my state. One time a guy had a small camper parked in his driveway and the town made him get it out of sight into a storage facility. It wasn't bothering anybody and they were nice neighbors. That town was too strict, IMO.

Where I live now you can park on the street because there isn't very much other room to park. We have to drive very slowly due to the people parked on the street but you put up with it to live in a beach community. Every town is different as far as rules go but they all have rules.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
I dunno, in_new england. On the one hand, we all see different things and it's true that different towns are likely to have different sorts of residents. Still... you're sort of reminding me of my dad. He was a great guy, but he also had the habit of choosing not to see things if he didn't want to believe they existed. He was convinced that "nobody smokes marijuana in this town because I have never seen it and if somebody tried it, well, there are laws against that sort of thing!" Hee hee, ahh memories of dad. I do miss him. And he had a happy life, so who knows, maybe he was onto something.

But enough on that. Don't really wish to continue because it feels like we're going way off topic. Besides, whether you've ever seen a rusty car on a lawn or not, does it really matter? So.... getting back to the topic of 55+ communities, the important thing is you like the unrestricted community you live in--and that's great. Other people prefer living in an HOA community. That's great, too. And still others like living in 55+ communities. Also great. Wherever you like to live, it's all good. People like living in different types of communities, and so what? I don't know why live and let live is so difficult.

Last edited by Caladium; 10-27-2013 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Can't quite figure out how to state my point,tried a few different ways. Then gave up and decided to delete it all..

Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 AM

241 posts, read 272,775 times
Had to make my first post on some thread.................

We are planning on the snowbird thing (about 2 years) and have bought the place in FL already. It is in a 55+ gated community in central FL. We love it. The people are great (just turning over from the original owners to younger gen). We love that it is gated. Sure there are HOA rules but if you get out of these communities and drive around it is easy to find many subdivisions where homes/lots are maintained at different levels.

Also no one has complained about my Beg bad German Shepard (or my other 2 dogs)

Additionally I can break all the rules in our place in WI that I want.....................

Old 12-09-2017, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 809 times
Default 55+ Communities

Which neighborhood were you in? We are looking at a community in the Southside area.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:50 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,874,271 times
55+ are definitely not for everybody, that's why if you aren't sure you should consider renting in one first for awhile. For us it was the only way to go. We had enough of noise, motorbikes, rude kids, etc. We originally were from western PA and, yes, we had rusty cars in the yards, old dilapidated house trailers, outside dog houses with constantly barking dogs, etc. Plus DH was tired of lawn work and snow shoveling.

As far as the long hair and clean shoes, remember that the upkeep for all of these items comes from your HOA dues, YOUR MONEY. Every time the filter gets clogged then the pool has to be closed down and someone has to be PAID to come in and clean it out and fix and potential damage. Who knows where the people on the machines have walked? Could have walked through some car oil, dog poo, or any other imaginable thing. Then you pick that up on your shoes and track it back into your home, onto your carpets or hardwood floors. There are reasons behind rules and it usually involves financial costs either to the HOA or to individual homeowners or for home value. That's the reason that everybody must read the rules ahead of time and see if they can live with them. If not, then that community is not for them.

Not sure where you see the "zombies" but in our community there are groups that walk around the community for exercise and they are usually chatting, calling "hello" to everybody and having a grand time. We have all kinds here and there are lots of different things to do, or else you don't have to do anything at all.

One last thing........I had emergency major abdominal surgery about a month ago and was seriously laid up, still not recovered. DH was my "nurse" and taking care of me. About every other day one of several of our neighbors appeared at the door with meals. They would also stop and say they were going to the store and what did we need. Every day DH went out to get the mail there were get well cards in the paper box. DH had a sleep study scheduled that he couldn't cancel and without asking one of our neighbors volunteered to stay overnight with me to help out. Visitors stopped to talk and cheer me up and keep me from feeling excluded. DH was out of town when I had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. I called my neighbor next door to come over so that they could lock up behind me and they were here in less than a minute. The grapevine immediately went into motion and within a half hour of me arriving at the hospital ER another friend appeared and said she would stay with me until DH arrived as, and I quote, "you are not staying by yourself in the ER". There is NO way would this all have happened in a regular community. First most working people have other responsibilities including kids and all the activities other than working and just don't have time to help others out. I understand that, but that wouldn't have given us the help and support that we needed and got here. I still tear up when I think of their support and kindness. We are in our second 55+ and wouldn't consider anywhere else.

To each his own.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:59 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,352,067 times
I could never live among many people and rules. But for those who do, God bless; it's fabulous that it suits you. Most "big-dog people" are banned anyway, as are fences. When I can no longer mow my own lawn, I'll hire someone. I'm self-aware enough to know that loners (for the most part) would not thrive there. My guess is that it's more couples than singles, correct?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
The communities are all different. We have big dogs here and also fenced yards. Most of the people are women singles, not coupled. There is a small clubhouse and a pool too. I could ask one of 4 neighbors for help if I needed to. I feel safe, it's gated and everyone waves and is friendly. You have to explore your options before you choose.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:11 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,352,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
The communities are all different. We have big dogs here and also fenced yards. Most of the people are women singles, not coupled. There is a small clubhouse and a pool too. I could ask one of 4 neighbors for help if I needed to. I feel safe, it's gated and everyone waves and is friendly. You have to explore your options before you choose.
You're KIDDING!!?? Never heard of that out this way. That is GREAT for you I'm rather stuck here in SE PA or N DE (low taxes) because my only family member lives out here, an older brother. I am THOROUGHLY pleased to hear that AZ accommodates big-dog "families."

Old 12-10-2017, 05:25 AM

30,544 posts, read 16,236,133 times
Why are you stuck in SE PA because your brother lives there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement