Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM

206 posts, read 404,520 times

Advertisements

And don't forget the ubiquitous and extremely useful rotisserie chicken from the supermarket or Costco's.

I had a job for which I had to live away from home four nights a week. I almost always cooked for myself -- a quarter of the rotisserie chicken plus a baked potato zapped in the micro and something green; stir fries using the chicken, veggies, jarred Asian sauce and rice; spaghetti and meat sauce (browned some beef, then added jarred sauce) plus a salad. And then there's eggs, lamb chops, hamburgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I get a lot of take out but it would be better for me if I cooked. When I had trouble standing for long periods of time and carrying heavy bags up the stairs, I cooked less. I'm moving to a ground floor apartment in July so maybe I will cook more.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:29 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Yes, I cook meals for one - (me!) A ham slice is more than I want for one meal, so I cut it in half and have a second meal later in the week. Right now, I'm cooking a rutabaga (they take forever) and when I mash it, I'll have half tonight and half later in the week.

I've never learned how to make a "small pot of soup". It's a vat or nothing. Frozen in portions, I have it whenever I want it.

I buy the family pack of chicken, or ground beef, and freeze it in individual packs, just like I do with pork chops. I can thaw one, or more if company is coming by.

I rarely eat out unless I'm going with family. Or at the beach. I rarely eat "fast food". I wish there was another way of getting nourishment that didn't involve pots, pans and other utensils. Well, there is, but I can only eat so many doughnuts.

**The Senior Center thing? I don't think so. I'd have to put up with the Seniors. Last time I went there to pick up a produce certificate, the women looked at me like I was a Martian and the men looked at me like I was - well, never mind.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:39 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
I cook most of my meals to control the calories, saturated fat, and sodium. Sodium tends to increase my blood pressure. And I can taste the preservatives in some pre-prepared foods and don't care for that. I'll cook enough food for three meals so I don't have to cook every day and may freeze portions for future meals. I cook stews, pasta dishes with red sauces, stir frys, East Indian dishes with curry sauces, crab cakes, green chile sauces for burritos, enchiladas, and huevos rancheros, tostadas, pots of pinto beans good for freezing, vegetarian pizza, pork tenderloin with a glaze, oven fried chicken, etc. in addition to just baking a few pieces of fish or cooking a steak. Costco sells frozen tuna, salmon, tilapia, cod, etc. that is packaged in individual filets - you can buy it plain or with a coating or marinade. Some of the fish has to be thawed first but the white fish can just go directly from freezer to oven. Costco chicken breasts and thighs come in individual packages about a pound in each package. I'll also buy the Costco top sirloin that is in 6-10 oz pieces and rewrap those in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer (food saver would also work well). I add a starch and a salad or frozen vegetable and that's my meal.

I generally buy the pre-packaged, pre-washed lettuce/spinach and shredded carrots to help me quickly assemble a salad. Organic milk has a longer shelf life than regular. I keep bread in the freezer or refrigerator. If I go out for dinner or lunch for Chinese or some other type of food where they tend to have large portions, I doggy bag half of it to eat the next meal.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:29 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I've got an MSG sensitivity, so frozen dinners, much of fast food, and most processed foods are out of the question for me.

I'll cook up big batches of stews such as red beans, mulligatawney soup, or gumbo, freeze them in portions, then defrost them and serve over freshly cooked rice. Or I'll cook up a chicken entree that's enough for two servings and eat it two days in a row with fresh rice & vegetables.
I don't eat frozen meals (with the exception of a veggie burger now and then) or fast food because I don't think they're very healthy, so I do this, too. I actually did it a lot when my son was still living at home; as a working single mother, I liked to occasionally have some home-cooked item that I could take out of the freezer, stick in the frig, and have thawed enough to heat up the next night, together with a freshly-tossed salad. All kinds of soups, stews, casseroles, lasagnas, etc. work.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:08 PM

206 posts, read 404,520 times
ABQ2015, I agree and love everything you do, with one exception: Don't use frozen vegetables. You can zap the exact amount you need in the microwave, and it takes all of two or three minutes. They taste better, they look better, and they give you better nutrition.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:45 PM

483 posts, read 670,674 times
I'm not a senior just yet but I have lived alone in the past. I make doubles and triples and freeze.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:32 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
I used to get "Cooking for Two" magazine and love the scaled down recipes. It's especially nice to cook something I would never make unless preparing for guests. Why do we go to so much effort for family and friends, but not ourselves? I try to order dishes that I wouldn't prepare at home when I do go to restaurants. Frozen foods are probably my least favorite option.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
[quote=PAhippo;34443751]I occasionally cook for me-usually make enough for 2 meals-partly because I do hate to cook, and partly because I don't mind left overs. Some things even taste better later.

I do buy frozen stuff. Convenience and portion control. And I hate to cook.

Summer I do eat more sandwiches and salads. They don't have to be cooked.

(Maybe if I see someone in the grocery store buying food, I should invite myself over? or not.)[/quote]

Sometimes, if a customer has a cart full of BBQ 'stuff', chips, sodas, beer, etc., it's pretty obvious they are planning a get together. I'll say something like, "And what did you say your address is??". I've actually gotten invites from a few...but, no, I don't take them up on it. lol

I eat a lot of sandwiches and salads in summer too. Who wants to cook when it's over 100 degrees??

Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I generally cook enough for 2 meals, and do find myself using some frozen dinners and goosing them up in both flavor and contents. I also use my grill a lot for fish, my brother keeps me supplied as he is always fishing!

IMO,cooking for one can be a real challenge.
I have bought those frozen skillet meals but they should be sued for bad advertising. If they say they have chicken in them they should make sure there IS chicken in them. Maybe 1/2 a dozen little pieces. Those are the things I use left over chicken breasts for. Makes them so much better but I rarely buy them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement