Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:46 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

It was last year and I have never gone to any of them. This was a very snooty town and I didn't fit in then and I don't think I'd fit in now. I drove back there a week ago and saw the new school that's been built and drove around town--that's enough. It is still a very beautiful town though and I guess, for better or for worse, it feels like home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I don't know if there will be one, but since I haven't gone to any others, I wouldn't go to it either.
If it had been a good high school where I had a lot of good friends, yes, but my high school was in the city, on double sessions, and closed soon after I graduated, so there wasn't a cohesive student community. I am in touch with a few old friends from that time, and that is enough.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:57 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
I will attend mine when it comes down the road provided the people that are running it don't go overboard, which they did at my 40th. They insisted upon a sit down dinner, cocktail hour, dj, cash bar at a major Long Island catering hall. The cost was $100. I am retired now and am not interested in getting dressed to the nines to go to a reunion. I am not talking about going in cutoffs and tank tops but the pictures of this affair on facebook left me glad I decided not to go.

The reason given??? You have to give people a reason to spend $$ to come back to LI for a reunion. They aren't coming back for a VFW hall reunion. Funny, I thought they would get more people if they down played it a bit and the people coming might be able to put the money toward a hotel room. DH and I have family still on LI so I could stay with a family member so lodging is not of any concern for me.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Speaking only for me, this thread has been most interesting. It has been interesting, of course, because of the extreme diversity of the responses.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 PM

148 posts, read 228,926 times
Over 50 years, our memories take on a life of their own. Everyone who attends ends up in a "class" by themselves.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I will attend mine when it comes down the road provided the people that are running it don't go overboard, which they did at my 40th. They insisted upon a sit down dinner, cocktail hour, dj, cash bar at a major Long Island catering hall. The cost was $100. I am retired now and am not interested in getting dressed to the nines to go to a reunion. I am not talking about going in cutoffs and tank tops but the pictures of this affair on facebook left me glad I decided not to go.

The reason given??? You have to give people a reason to spend $$ to come back to LI for a reunion. They aren't coming back for a VFW hall reunion. Funny, I thought they would get more people if they down played it a bit and the people coming might be able to put the money toward a hotel room. DH and I have family still on LI so I could stay with a family member so lodging is not of any concern for me.
Wow! I think that my 40th cost $25, and that included the buffet meal, free beer & soda and the booklet with everyone's current address & updated information. It was held in a place pretty similar to a VFW hall.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Being from N.C. we always have a whole hog pick pickin' with sides and cash bar. somebody is planning a golf outing the afternoon of and there is usually some kind of breakfast meeting at a restaurant. The organizers have announced this will be the last formal get together. Wonder if that will bring more people.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
I haven't attended most of mine ( just 2 of them)

The worst class reunion ( imho) is the 10th.

Most of them attending place too high a priority on impressing others and cliques from high school are still evident.

The further away from the 10th you get, the more you see people changing/maturing and becoming better people.

As I stated............just my opinion/observation.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Mine will be in 2017 but I won't go.

I went to my 10th and it was a lot of fun because so many of our graduating class were there, and several of my friends from senior year. Skipped the 20th because of what was going on in my personal life at the time.

I went to the 30th but left in complete boredom and disgust within the first hour. I don't think there was even 50% of the number who attended the 10th; probably more like 30%. And the ones who did attend were all from the "popular crowd"... the sorority/fraternity/football/cheerleader set, which I was never part of and who in fact made part of my highschool life miserable with their arrogant attitudes (which it was clear they still retained after 25 years, LOL).

As I walked out the door of the 25th I vowed never to waste my time or money attending another reunion.

ETA: I still live within 20 miles of where I went to high school, so the expense was minimal. I haven't seen or heard from anyone from my HS days in probably 12 years, maybe more. I don't use social media and really don't have any desire to revisit my HS days.
I'm curious as to what happened during the reunion that led you to believe the members of the "popular crowd...retained their arrogance". I have this feeling that some of my former classmates may have thought that I was part of the "in crowd" and/or arrogant, but I was nothing more than a somewhat ditzy girl who chose to spend all of her time cheerleading and hanging out with her BF (who happened to be a jock). I had a handful of friends, if that.

I almost went to my 40th reunion but chickened out at the last minute. Maybe my instinct was right.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I went to my 10th reunion, out of nearly 500 students that graduated from our school only about 50 attended. Most were the so called jocks and all they did then was brag about how well they were doing and all the money they were making and the nice new car they were driving. No one that I associated with attended. The music and crowd were too loud so I left.
The 25th re-union I went to figuring they had grown up by now and maybe someone I associated with would be there. Well only 30 people showed this time and it was again primarily the so called jocks. Now they were bragging about their kids and grandkids and most were starting to show their age and pouchyness. Then it was announced that not enough people showed up to meet the expenses and they had to pass the hat around to get enough money to pay for them.
After the experiences with the above 2 re-unions when I got the 50th invitation I said "screw it".

On a more positive note my wife went to a different school that had a senior class of 60 people. At her 50th re-union everyone showed up, even those from all over the country, except for those few who had died. There were 52 people attending.
The event was a 2 day special with boating, visiting old familiar places, touring the new school that replaced her old one, then ended a nice banquet dinner. Even 3 of their still living teachers attended. Everyone really enjoyed the time and all got along perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement