Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And the one career he wanted didn't work out so working at a convenience store is better.(refusing advances, no thank you, don't want to move up to manager.My god! Who wants that stress!!)
The one house in the one town in the one state that he wanted couldn't be subdivided off so it's a one room rental forever.
Let's hope the room is big enough for all the Kleenex boxes it must take to wipe all the tears.

??? What advances? There is a middle aged manager at the convenience store. Everyone looking for a promotion has to wait for him to retire as he has topped out and isn;t going anywhere until he retires.

Not that the manager's pay is attractive; several years ago when the minimum wage went up, the current workplace joke was that if the manager didn't get a raise by the time MW went up, the hourly employees would be making more than he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And the one career he wanted didn't work out so working at a convenience store is better.(refusing advances, no thank you, don't want to move up to manager.My god! Who wants that stress!!)
The one house in the one town in the one state that he wanted couldn't be subdivided off so it's a one room rental forever.
Let's hope the room is big enough for all the Kleenex boxes it must take to wipe all the tears.

??? What advances? There is a middle aged manager at the convenience store. Everyone looking for a promotion has to wait for him to retire as he has topped out and isn't going anywhere until he retires.

Not that the manager's pay is attractive; several years ago when the minimum wage went up, the current workplace joke was that if the manager didn't get a raise by the time MW went up, the hourly employees would be making more than he.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My Grandparents and parents are like this... both Grandparents worked until they could no longer work...

My Step Grandfather worked to age 88 and refused to take Social Security... never took a penny on the principle of leaving it for those that are destitute and had no choice...

Part of it is pride and part is simply the old fashioned work ethic... plus no one in my family has EVER had a pension... that goes for the farming side as well as non-farming.

Still remember market day with Grandmother... it started and ended at the bank... heard her say many times if a person needs to buy on credit... they could not afford to buy.

Did they ever buy a house?

Old 08-14-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Not to get too philosophical... my Grandfathers both said a man that has a trade will never go hungry...

One of my friends dropped out of high school and went into the service where he met and married his wife... they live in a very nice home and send their child to a private school... he makes 160k a year as a one man roto-rooter business... well actually husband and wife because she takes all the calls and does the books...

He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet... I've called him a 1 in the morning and he is on his way.

So here's a guy that makes good money, works for himself with college education and has not advertised in years... attitude, ability and availability... the 3 "A" of success.

Every year he maxes out his retirement contributions and pays for a disability policy because he is self employed and the sole breadwinner of the family.

My older cousin got a similar talk from his father. He started out as a musician with a band, did some touring, started making jewelry at home, sold it at an emerging weekly market...the market grew and became big and touristy...he took his wares to boutiques nationwide...you can find them all over...he sold his business for $1M and is now between projects.

My father just told me to go to college.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Not to get too philosophical... my Grandfathers both said a man that has a trade will never go hungry...

One of my friends dropped out of high school and went into the service where he met and married his wife... they live in a very nice home and send their child to a private school... he makes 160k a year as a one man roto-rooter business... well actually husband and wife because she takes all the calls and does the books...

He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet... I've called him a 1 in the morning and he is on his way.

So here's a guy that makes good money, works for himself with college education and has not advertised in years... attitude, ability and availability... the 3 "A" of success.

Every year he maxes out his retirement contributions and pays for a disability policy because he is self employed and the sole breadwinner of the family.

Being well-insured is one of the very best things you can do for your family. My high school gf's father was a computer hotshot who had the foresight to insure well. She collected $1M on her 18th birthday, bought a house on the Jersey Shore (three blocks from the water), and socked away the remaining $900K. Last I looked several years ago her house was worth $1.5 million. Absolutely nothing remarkable about the house, it's all about the location.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:50 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The median salary for attorneys is about $80K/annually. Unless you have gotten those credentials economically, for 50% of attorneys, it isn't that glittering a profession. Of course, there are always super stars but most attorneys across this country are not raking in the big bucks.
It depends on location. Where my son was hired right out of school the starting pay was 106k 5 years ago, today it is higher. That is in westchester ny.

Manhattan firms are about the same.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Did you work your way through college...or get tons of free money...or do something else?
I borrowed the money from apex technical school ,went to learn a trade i knew nothing about and had no clue how i would ever pay it pack. It was thousands and we are talking in the 1970's.

Al i knew was drumming but i saw the hand writting on the wall. Disco and dj's were obsoleting live music.

I had no clue what to do and knew nothing else. I worked various minimum wage jobs to fill in.

I just starting pulling ideas out of the air and picked air conditioning and refrig. Tech.

I knew nothing other than i knew folks would not dabble in a sealed system in those days.

So i bet the ranch on it.

I learned, graduated and lied my way in to a job since no one would hire me with no experience.

Hated the heavy bull work and studied and studied on my own until i could troubleshoot mall climate control systems.

Learned all about motor controls and became a motor control specialst which i am retiring from now after 40 years .

Never out of work one day. 6 figure salary.

I may still do some teaching and consulting through retirement. I enjoy training the newbees .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-14-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I borrowed the money from apex technical school ,went to learn a trade i knew nothing about and had no clue how i would ever pay it pack. It was thousands and we are talking in the 1970's.

Glad it worked out for you...I probably should have gone to apex technical school. I had saved up my high school earnings ($4,000 in the 1970s) and then proceeded to blow it on college.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:08 PM

I knew the projects were not going to be an option in my life again. If ac tech didn't work out i would have done something else but i never would have settled for anything less then a career.

Sure i could have floated in to what ever crappy job i landed in and complain. But the fact is that wasn't going to be an option.

There was no other path i would have stopped at but up.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Did they ever buy a house?
They bought a home in Concord California and added a family room and bathroom doing all the work themselves with the help of her father and his brother...

Can't underestimate the value of having a supportive family...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement