Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: *****Best and most affordable place to retire to
Grayson, KY 1 2.22%
Berea, KY 1 2.22%
Harrison AR 2 4.44%
Fayettville AR 4 8.89%
Branson MO 4 8.89%
Traverse City MI 2 4.44%
Murray, KY 2 4.44%
Chattanooga, TN 12 26.67%
Dunellon, FL 3 6.67%
Stuart, FL 8 17.78%
Huntington, WV 1 2.22%
Charleston, WV 0 0%
Bloomington, IN 5 11.11%
Inverness, FL 4 8.89%
Saint Cloud MN 2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 AM

351 posts, read 492,413 times

Advertisements

I live in Minneapolis. I can't possibly understand why St Cloud is on your retirement list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 12:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,111 times
Because there is a VA right in St Cloud, and the area it low in population....people do retire to places like Maine as well...not everyone wants to head to FL, or to AZ, where the weather can be hotter then heck...and stifling, I would prefer somewhere with 4 seasons. I don't understand all the votes for Chattanooga as it seems very crime riddled from what I read....

Old 08-16-2014, 01:51 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
My impression is that there's a strong correlation between low real estate prices and parochial attitudes amongst the locals. Cosmopolitan places tend to be expensive. The OP will have to choose between cost of living and "quality" of living, in terms of open-minded neighbors and cultural amenities.

The OP mentioned taxes, in particular property taxes. But what about state and local income taxes? States like Florida have the advantage of no state income tax. Depending on the OP's tax bracket, that might be substantially more important than the costs of real-estate, utilities and so forth.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:59 PM

I am a disabled vet on a pension from the VA, so I don't have to worry about state or income taxes. Therefore, the cost of property taxes and low utilities is a huge factor, along with low crime, and some natural beauty in an area. You are right that I would have to choose between a higher quality of life, less affordable home, or a lower quality of life with a more affordable home, somewhat,....yet I though Branson was really nice and active and clean town, with very low home prices, and a good quality of life. So, many of these lower priced areas will also have decent high qualities of life I am sure, such as Berea KY, Bloomington IN, Stuat FL and etc....why so many votes for FL I wonder, ....seems like people are dying to get out of FL, from what read on CD.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:33 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
why so many votes for FL I wonder, ....seems like people are dying to get out of FL, from what read on CD.
While I personally am not a huge fan of Florida, the appeal is easy to understand:

1. Many of us are thoroughly sick of 4-5 month-long winters, with regular below-zero (Fahrenheit) ambient temperatures... as far south as the Mason-Dixon line, and even further. This past winter, there were days when parts of Kentucky and Missouri were colder than Moscow, Oslo or Reykjavik.

2. Many of us are uncomfortable in the South for cultural, social and/or creedal reasons. Florida, with the exception of its panhandle, is "south of the South", and therefore culturally more coastal.

3. Pensions notwithstanding, many of us have considerable capital-gains and dividend income. That's taxed at 15% or 20% federally. An additional state/local income tax of 5% means a 33% increase in our tax bills. In some states, such as California, the rates are much larger, especially if you are affluent and unmarried.

I personally would choose Seattle... moderate climate, no state income tax, cosmopolitan and progressive atmosphere. But I can see why from the OP's viewpoint Seattle would be undesirable; a house of the type that interests him might be $700K.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:43 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
[quote=starrider434;36112559....why so many votes for FL I wonder, ....seems like people are dying to get out of FL, from what read on CD.[/QUOTE]

I think that with Florida, it all depends on the location. I am on the north side of Orlando and we are going to be moving in a couple of years. Tired of the heat and the increasing crime; not specifically in my area but the Orlando area in general. But I was over in Vero Beach last week visiting my mother and while it was hot, there was that nice soft breeze from the ocean. Not like here where I go walking at 7:30 AM and it is 80 plus, humid and no air movement at all.

On the drive back, I told my wife that if we wound up not wanting to do the hassle of relocating to another state, I could very well live with moving back to Vero Beach. Would I go any further south than Stuart? Or to another big city in Florida? No way!

Old 08-16-2014, 04:46 PM

I would stay in Seattle if I could buy a home in my price range that had some acreage, even off the beaten path in Seattle that same house will run you about 400 to 700k, in the more rural outlying areas of Seattle. Where in Louisville, Bloomington, Berea and St Cloud, that same house will run about 185 to 240k, give or take. I don't trust FL due to the hardships of obtaining homeowners insurance, the weather, the seediness I feel when I there, the increasing crime, even in Ocala, the over population, the sinkhole issues, and etc. But there is still that wow factor about FL, for some reason, guess cause it is unique with all the beaches and etc. Vero Beach, Northport, Dunnellon, Crystal River were a few areas I was studying in FL. I just don't know if I would miss the hills and mountains and the 4 seasons if I were to live in FL, plus I believe utility rates are rather high in Fl plus the homeowners insurance. And probably even car insurance. Where are all the Bloomington IN fans? Seems like a beautiful small college town.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 08-16-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 PM

I don't have to worry about state and income taxes by the way.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:14 AM

Chattanooga has more votes then an other place, I cant see why though.....with its crime factor....that I have researched....anyone familiar with Paris TN?

Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
I have not been to Chattanooga but I would imagine like any other city or large town it has its poorer sections which bring up the crime numbers of the city overall. Most times these places can be easily avoided so long as you know where not to go.

I think compromise and prioritizing is in order. As another poster pointed out as you get near centers of higher population and ammenities prices with quality of life goes up. If you're looking for affordability above all else you'll have to give on location.

If you care about avoiding summer time heat, humidity, bugs, tornados and people who have as you put it "still fighting the Civil War" mentality. The low cost South would not make you happy and that goes for TN, KY, Missouri, Arkansas as well.

Obviously you want to stay out of the Northeast, Coastal West and within an hour of all major cities. I think however you can find bargains in your own state if you look. Or neighboring states as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement