Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
For most folks it isn't a fear of technology but rather not seeing enough value to learn it. I'm only in my 50's and would much rather text than call someone...and rather handle business online than call or in person. I always research purchases online and then make most of them online to get the best price and avoid the hassle of store. I pay 99% of my bills online and use a tablet, laptop, and smartphone in addition to work laptop - I'm probably online or doing SOMETHING on the computer 12 hours a day!

But I really dislike facebook (too competitive and trivial) and I just don't get the excitement/purpose of Twitter, and I have no idea or interest in Pinterest (!) or Instagram. That stuff seems like a major waste of time...so I'm not afraid, just have better things to do. I also never play video games...another waste, to me anyway.

We all make our choices of what to do with our limited time.
exactly.

I also pay most bills by check.
still watch dvds.
listen to cds.
read books.
have a film camera.
and a flip phone (I think that's what they're called)

I do play a few computer games.
watch youtubes a lot

It's not fear; it's preference.

So color me an idiot. My life, my choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I am going to add my two cents again about the embracing of electronics or anything else for that matter. People should buy what they really need or really want. They should not buy what they are told they need, want or must have.

We who are Seniors should be wiser. We certainly have been around long enough to know better than to fall for the hype that if we do not learn how to take advantage of the latest electronic gadgets we are somehow showing our age. Gadgets won't keep us young. It is not necessarily a sign of old age just because someone doesn't want to use these things. They should be thought of as utilitarian or even as things of enjoyment but not as reflections of how we want people to see us. Flip phones vs I-phones; phones vs e-mail etc. use what suits your needs.

In the end, I don't think anyone's eulogy ever included a remembrance of whatever mobile device they used.

Last edited by Minervah; 03-25-2015 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 01:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But can you get Windows 7? I am holding on to my XP but I keep getting nasty messages from Explorer and even Google Chrome I need to update to 8. I don't want to but there are some things I can't see because of it. Also, a computer repair guy told me you can't buy XP Discs any longer.

I agree about the e-readers. I have trouble reading many print books because of the spacing of the lines. If I didn't have a Kindle, I wouldn't be able to read a lot of things. Trying to read long paragraphs on a computer screen is really difficult.
Yes, you can still get Windows 7, it's widely available. Walmart even has it but you might need to order it online and have it shipped to the store. Windows 7 Home Premium should work perfectly for you. But, if you can just ignore the nasty messages you are getting with XP, ad if it works for you just keep using it. If you ever end up needing disks for it you can get them for a few dollars from ebay. Even though XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, it's rock solid and once you are used to using it you seldom will encounter a problem with it.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
The other day there was an article kicking around about the process a person went through to use his vintage 1986 Mac to connect to the Web. It was quite a convoluted path but the moral of the story was, you don't need the newest flashiest gear. Makes me want to dig out my old 1988 vintage Mac ... LOL!

Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Well, that is the name of the game. Most of it is just a rip off.

Take your iPhone as another example. Look at how the plans are set up.

The phone companies were really bummed out that Skype and other things like that had come along. Why, there is even audio-visual-data-over-IP now. Meaning, you can completely circumvent the phone company on a real computer. A-ha! I have a the perfect solution. A non generic, carrier specific device called a smart phone. I will steal back the web access and force the consumer back onto my rate base once again.

They really hate people like me and my wife who use our CATV connection to access the web. We could fire the phone company tomorrow if we wanted to.

In a way, smart phones are evil.
But you do know that you can purchase an unlocked phone and get a pre-paid or pay-as-you go plan from anywhere, right? I only pay $35 for unlimited text and data + 100 min. talk time/month because I never talk to anyone anyway...it's less than half what I used to pay through a carrier.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The problem I have found with different service is coverage .But back to topic. In many ways I really have to have a essential need when changing to new technology. I just am at a point I don't want more problems they bring with them in maintaining.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
I haven't read this whole thread but I'll cut to the chase. I've never used an e-book reading device and now I want to try it. I wouldn't say I'm fearful, just skeptical that I'll take to it.

've considered a pricey apple ipad, but I really prefer my laptop (MacBook) for internet research and of course I have to have my apps on the larger-screen laptop for designing books etc. Nor do I want a device that stores photos, i have a separate G3 for photos and graphics.

So...just for a reader, I want at least 6" x 9", nonglare screen, and a technology close to reading a real book. Of the dozens of options, I zeroed in on the Kindle PaperWhite. There's other Kindles, so I don't know how to choose.

Anyone have a really strong recommendation after having tried many? Under $200?

Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I haven't read this whole thread but I'll cut to the chase. I've never used an e-book reading device and now I want to try it. I wouldn't say I'm fearful, just skeptical that I'll take to it.

've considered a pricey apple ipad, but I really prefer my laptop (MacBook) for internet research and of course I have to have my apps on the larger-screen laptop for designing books etc. Nor do I want a device that stores photos, i have a separate G3 for photos and graphics.

So...just for a reader, I want at least 6" x 9", nonglare screen, and a technology close to reading a real book. Of the dozens of options, I zeroed in on the Kindle Paper Weight. There's other Kindles, so I don't know how to choose.

Anyone have a really strong recommendation after having tried many? Under $200?
Kindle Paperwhite, no question. I've be using mine for 2 years and have had to up the text size once. $119

Old 06-10-2015, 06:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Kindle Paperwhite, no question. I've be using mine for 2 years and have had to up the text size once. $119
What is the diff between wi-fi and wi-fi G3 and which do you have?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:07 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What is the diff between wi-fi and wi-fi G3 and which do you have?
My previous kindles had 3g which means you can download books without wi-fi, it is a cellular connection. When I bought the paperwhite I decided to just go with wi-fi because I always have it at home. If I am going to travel I just load up on books before leaving home.

I probably have close to 150 books on it right now and there are tons of free books you can find by subscribing to email lists.

**I highly recommend the Amazon cover. It keeps the dust out, looks good, and provides screen protection.

Last edited by maggie2101; 06-10-2015 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement