Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,874 times

Advertisements

Most first responders, fire and police retire after 20 years. So they're going out at 45 and 50.

Some of them have health problems as a result of their service.

Most of them - at least in my city - are underpaid and overworked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I simply googled "public union generous". Here is one:

In San Jose, generous pensions for city workers come at expense of nearly all else - The Washington Post

You used to hear much more of it a few years ago then now, taxpayers have complained and made there complaint known at the ballot box, changes have been made, etc. Even Democratic mayors have been forced to cut public pensions at the expense of union votes. New public employees don't get as generous of a pension. To be fair, it should also be noted that much of these pension costs are eaten up by rising healthcare costs as part of the pension benefits.

no doubt, vast majority of public workers are hard workers and have modest and well-deserved pensions. But there are exceptions and there has been abuse.
There was absolutely NO mention of any worker who retired at 40 with a 6 figure pension. It did mention that the average monthly pension in Cali was $2600 and change, which is < $35k.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:52 AM

125 posts, read 170,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killing time View Post
"Must be nice!"

I can't tell you how often people have told me this after I was asked where I work and what I do for a career. I retired from full time work at about age fifty after some success in the stock market, an inheritance and lots of saving. Now that I am older I am also collecting Social Security along with my passive income from my investment assets.

I have many friends who were not able to retire until their bodies and minds went out in their 70s. They don't think it was fair that I had such a life of leisure.

Shortly after retiring, I would walk around and notice all the people working and the expression on their face said- "I HATE THIS and CAN'T WAIT TO GET OFF WORK!"

Maybe early retirement in scheme of things is not really fair, when other people are working until their 70s. I am feeling guilty. I wake up and more money comes in and I did nothing. It's crazy!

To ask someone where they get their income from (i.e., "what do you do for a living") uis BEYOND rude. I cannot imagine actually asking someone this question with a straight face. How dare someone have that kind of nerve- its none of their business!! Oh my goodness- I must be from some other planet because I am forever offended by people's behavior every moment. I see more and more people sharing the most personal, private things on the internet on blogs- in person, on TV- without a care in the world. They discuss their divorce, their sex lives, their sex preferences- as if it is common knowledge. I am not past menopause, I am not retired- and I am not an "old fuddy duddy" but I must sound like one, because I am complaining a lot lately about "people these days"

You should NOT be bothered by what someone THINKS of your retirement or income. Like I said, it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS and they should not even be asking.

Next time someone asks you "what you do" follow it up with a question of your own: "When was your last bowel movement?"

Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
What she said.

The average California government worker retires with a pension around 35K. That's pretty much basic sustenance if you live in California.
No one was discussing average pensions, it was talking about perceptions, right or wrong, that was based on a few cases of abuse. THAT is the topic of this thread, no? The average retiree benefit is irrelevant to this thread.

What I said (next time at least take time to see if there was a response)

I have been retired and living on "passive income" for 30 years and people are angry!

Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No one was discussing average pensions, it was talking about perceptions, right or wrong, that was based on a few cases of abuse. THAT is the topic of this thread, no? The average retiree benefit is irrelevant to this thread.

What I said (next time at least take time to see if there was a response)

I have been retired and living on "passive income" for 30 years and people are angry!
Are pensions passive income?

Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
There was absolutely NO mention of any worker who retired at 40 with a 6 figure pension. It did mention that the average monthly pension in Cali was $2600 and change, which is < $35k.
The below quote from THE ACTUAL CORRECT RESPONSE TO YOU seems pretty clear to me:

"Thirteen New York City police officers recently retired at age 40 with pensions above $100,000 a year..."

100000..is that six figures? I think it is.

I am not going to discuss the "average pension" issue, or whatever justification, right or wrong, for the above pension. It may indeed be related to an injury. I consider that subject off-topic. Once again this thread topic is on perception.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:08 AM

Again are pensions passive income per
this thread?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_income

Old 09-30-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Are pensions passive income?
Ahhh, good question. Not sure, per IRS definition maybe not.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killing time View Post
"Must be nice!"

I can't tell you how often people have told me this after I was asked where I work and what I do for a career. I retired from full time work at about age fifty after some success in the stock market, an inheritance and lots of saving. Now that I am older I am also collecting Social Security along with my passive income from my investment assets.

I have many friends who were not able to retire until their bodies and minds went out in their 70s. They don't think it was fair that I had such a life of leisure.

Shortly after retiring, I would walk around and notice all the people working and the expression on their face said- "I HATE THIS and CAN'T WAIT TO GET OFF WORK!"

Maybe early retirement in scheme of things is not really fair, when other people are working until their 70s. I am feeling guilty. I wake up and more money comes in and I did nothing. It's crazy!
In case anyone is forgetting or missing., no where does the op mention pensions as a source of their income. They mention the traditional passive stream from investments. How do pensions become relevant or part of on topic discussion.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
To ask someone where they get their income from (i.e., "what do you do for a living") uis BEYOND rude. I cannot imagine actually asking someone this question with a straight face. How dare someone have that kind of nerve- its none of their business!! Oh my goodness- I must be from some other planet because I am forever offended by people's behavior every moment. I see more and more people sharing the most personal, private things on the internet on blogs- in person, on TV- without a care in the world. They discuss their divorce, their sex lives, their sex preferences- as if it is common knowledge. I am not past menopause, I am not retired- and I am not an "old fuddy duddy" but I must sound like one, because I am complaining a lot lately about "people these days"

You should NOT be bothered by what someone THINKS of your retirement or income. Like I said, it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS and they should not even be asking.

Next time someone asks you "what you do" follow it up with a question of your own: "When was your last bowel movement?"
It's OK to ask someone what they do for a living, within certain parameters ( i.e where do you work?)

It's not OK to ask them how much they make..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement