Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 12:41 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,207,759 times

Advertisements

Have you been evaluated for CFIDS? For persistent viral infections? It might be wise to do so if you haven't already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 02:11 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,580,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
If you live in a medical marijuana state, get a prescription. Insomnia is the most common disorder addressed by MMJ.
This.
(and if you're not in a MMJ state maybe find a nearby college or university, take an art class and see if some student will take mercy on your old, sleepless soul and hook you up )

Old 10-14-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Be careful with trazodone. I took it for a number of years but had to quit when I started experiencing sudden dizzy spells, balance problems and falls.
Sorry to hear that. I switched over to it from Ambien with good results. Ambien made me feel like a box of rocks the next day, just spaced out and drained.

As my previous post indicates, weed has actually worked best. Still figuring out the logistics to use it exclusively.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,594,198 times
Bayarea4, take57, you can always cut the Trazadone pill in half or fourths with a pill cutter, and take just half the pill or 3/4 of the pill, lowering the dose you take.

There is no rule that you must take the whole pill.

Amitriptyline (Elavil) is similar to Trazadone in that it is an old-fashioned anti-depression medication that is not used for depression much at all these days, but is instead prescribed for insomnia, and taken an hour before bedtime, it makes one sleepy and eases one into sleep.

Cutting the Amitriptyline pill in half or fourths and taking one-half or 3/4 helps to eliminate any dizziness, as sometimes just lowering the dose a bit eliminates any dizziness.

A small pill cutter can be purchased at any pharmacy or drug store, or easily order via the internet. Costs just $3 or so.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:19 PM

21,577 posts, read 8,751,556 times
I'm not taking trazodone any more, but lowering the dose is a good idea for people who have problems with unwanted side effects. My pill splitter has come in handy lots of times. I used it to cut Unisom tablets in half because an entire dose made me feel too groggy the next day.

Pfalz, you make a good point that people who work hard all day long at something that is physically taxing can make you fall asleep more quickly. Our ancestors, who got up before dawn and worked 12 hour (or longer) days, six or seven days a week at farming or in other manual labor jobs, had no trouble with insomnia because they were utterly exhausted at the end of the day. The 40-hour work week with two days was unheard of in Victorian times.

I wouldn't recommend six hours of "service outside the home" or other strenuous daily activity as a lifestyle for all retired people, though, since many of us have medical issues or family responsibilities that would make that kind of lifestyle impractical.

One thing I think would help is to cut back on exposure to bright light such as glare given off by TV, computers and smartphones at least two hours before bed. Too much exposure to artificial light can disrupt our sleep cycles. Our ancestors didn't have that problem.

How interesting that proximity to the Equator would affect sleep! I never would have thought of that.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Bayarea4, take57, you can always cut the Trazadone pill in half or fourths with a pill cutter, and take just half the pill or 3/4 of the pill, lowering the dose you take.

There is no rule that you must take the whole pill.

Amitriptyline (Elavil) is similar to Trazadone in that it is an old-fashioned anti-depression medication that is not used for depression much at all these days, but is instead prescribed for insomnia, and taken an hour before bedtime, it makes one sleepy and eases one into sleep.

Cutting the Amitriptyline pill in half or fourths and taking one-half or 3/4 helps to eliminate any dizziness, as sometimes just lowering the dose a bit eliminates any dizziness.

A small pill cutter can be purchased at any pharmacy or drug store, or easily order via the internet. Costs just $3 or so.
Thanks matisse. I guess I wasn't all that clear, Trazodone has been working reasonably well, far better than Ambien, but when I'm out in Oregon it's weed all the way. Much more effective all around with less side effects the next day, at least for me.

BTW - When I started Trazodone I did 1x50mg. Had better results at 2x (100mg total). My doctor said going 3x wouldn't be an issue. When it was Rx'd strictly as an antidepressant for people 'back in the day' he said 600mg was not an unusual dosage. We both wondered how tough that would have been for folks to make it through their days under that amount... rough.

I will have to ask him about Amitriptyline next time I see him. Always willing to look at what works best. I'm going to be spending more time in AZ soon and unfortunately you pretty much have to have cancer or Ebola to get a MMJ card there, but I understand folks are trying to get rec sales on the ballot, so there's some hope.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 713 times
It helps me to know I'm not alone in this. 1/3 cup of vodka with 2/3 water puts me asleep and then 2.5 mg zolpidem for another 3. Wish there was another way . I pray and care for each who also suffer.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:41 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,802,882 times
Here is an informative link on "that elusive sleep"...My cure and only thing that's changed for me is I now take 1mg Melatonin.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alter...my-remedy.html

I get a GOOD 8 hrs nightly but had my struggles before I devised my sleep remedy. Too bad MOST here don't visit the Health groups, and Alternative Medicine which is where I hang out mostly.

My dreams are great too. Restorative SLeep is critical.

Magnesium is important too as we have a population that is deficient in magnesium. Helps with sleep too.

Work to feel better in what's left of our lives.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:02 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,378,218 times
Have you tried a white noise machine. Its very comforting. I fall asleep to fake waves crashing every night. It helps.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,802,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyG View Post
It helps me to know I'm not alone in this. 1/3 cup of vodka with 2/3 water puts me asleep and then 2.5 mg zolpidem for another 3. Wish there was another way . I pray and care for each who also suffer.
Mixing booze and drugs have their dangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement