Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 04:46 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,835 times

Advertisements

Why does it matter to anyone if someone likes to take the time to look nice? If I get a confidence boost by styling my hair, putting on make-up who are you to tell me I'm wrong. Just because you can't understand why someone does it, doesn't mean you get to label it in a pejorative way such as "need to please". I could just as well label some of these responses the "need to put down someone". It's not necessary for me to justify my beauty routine to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 04:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
^^^^^^^^ Retire in MB

You are absolutely right. I have noticed a few times, and not just on this thread alone, that when someone expresses an opinion, some will jump on it and say it's wrong. How can someone say an opinion is wrong? The controlling few, I think.

Reminds me of a professor I had in a class I took that assigned a book to read and then write what we thought the book was about. I got a lousy mark on mine because he said that my report was wrong. Huh??

Old 11-24-2015, 06:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Opinions can be inaccurate or wrong if they are based on inaccurate information or lack of full information. Some opinions, however, are based on individual taste or individual aesthetics or political ideology.

As for the meanings and/or symbolism and ideas in a book, if you did not delve deeply enough into the meanings of a book and took just a surface approach, or you expressed ideas about the book poorly, then your mark would be lower.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
My opinion is that anyone deserves to have an opinion about anything and everything. What I'm perplexed about is why the haircut thing is a big issue. JMO. My opinion about hair on older folks is that it's a matter of an excellent cut and a cut that fits the shape and expression of the face. A woman can be completely bald (as can a man) and still be beautiful. Hair is cool, but the facial expression says more.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Apparantly many women here are not differenting between short hair and a womens short cut. No man would ever call a Twiggy or Mia Farrow or Judy Densch cut a mans cut. Those are womens cuts that are short. My first wife always had very cute short hair. But never a Man's cut! Monster difference. And any women claiming to not see a difference between a feminine short hair cut and a masculine short hair cut is being puposely obstinate to make a point. And since I apparantly have to prevent needless backlash, AFAI am concerned a woman can choose whatever hair stye she wants that makes her happy. Period. And it sure seems to be more age and/or sexual orientation driven, typically.
I'm guessing you're very old as your outdated attitudes are certainly no longer pervasive (thankfully).

Haircuts don't have gender - a cut isn't "masculine" because it's short (even a brush cut) nor is the woman who wears it. Gay women may wear their hair any way they like, I expect that the misogynist views of men no longer matter to them so they're that much more "free".

I love the posters that sound like sexist dinosaurs and then accuse women that take offense of being "puposely (sic) obstinate to make a point". "Monster difference".

Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Would this be a gender neutral hair style?

in the first photo showing.....

Farrah Fawcett Curly Hairstyle | most popular hairstyles ideas with best pictures

Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Why yes I do! I want to look nice for all!!

And there is nothing wrong with wanting to look your best for yourself and everyone else you come in contact with. Some sound like that is wrong - different strokes.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:32 AM

14,952 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Someone mentioned just pulling their hair back and calling it a day.

I cannot bring myself to do that. Maybe if I'm working in the yard or exercising, but out in public? No way. My hair is crazy. My friend used to call me cave woman! It needs to be controlled. I wouldn't feel comfort going out without fixing my hair. But I did let it go gray and cut it ultra short. But I still use hair product to make it look better.
LOL, I remember years ago when I pulled my hair back into a pony tail to get it off my neck when it was hot and I was housecleaning, it really was too short for a pony tail and I had hair sticking out on the sides, and the back. My then about 6 year old daughter looked at me critically, and said, "mom, you look like the world's oldest little girl". Guess sometimes you're not immune from those appraisals even when you aren't out in public.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, I remember years ago when I pulled my hair back into a pony tail to get it off my neck when it was hot and I was housecleaning, it really was too short for a pony tail and I had hair sticking out on the sides, and the back. My then about 6 year old daughter looked at me critically, and said, "mom, you look like the world's oldest little girl". Guess sometimes you're not immune from those appraisals even when you aren't out in public.
Actually, I look best with my hair pulled back. A bulk of hair framing my face doesn't really flatter as it does on others. There are many older women, I think of dancers, who have their hair sleekly pulled back and they look feminine and chic. Again, it's about the individual.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Opinions can be inaccurate or wrong if they are based on inaccurate information or lack of full information. Some opinions, however, are based on individual taste or individual aesthetics or political ideology.

As for the meanings and/or symbolism and ideas in a book, if you did not delve deeply enough into the meanings of a book and took just a surface approach, or you expressed ideas about the book poorly, then your mark would be lower.

I'm sitting here, scratching my head..... how in the world did I live to be 73?

I really detest people who always have to chime in with the "facts"...... an opinion is an opinion and if I wanted someone to correct me, I would have asked, thank you very much. Don't forget, differences in location can have a little something to do with it, too.

Old but true saying..... get over yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement