Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 05:48 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,304,718 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned just pulling their hair back and calling it a day.

I cannot bring myself to do that. Maybe if I'm working in the yard or exercising, but out in public? No way. My hair is crazy. My friend used to call me cave woman! It needs to be controlled. I wouldn't feel comfort going out without fixing my hair. But I did let it go gray and cut it ultra short. But I still use hair product to make it look better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 05:54 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,667,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive. Yet I see women who do this who obviously do other things and spend money to make themselves look better, but then cut their hair mostly off. I didn't think hair was that big a maint. thing. Maybe the ladies can explain?
Mine isn't that short but I keep my hair short because I do exercises in the swimming pool three times a week and don't want to take all day to get out of the locker room after I shower. Also it is my opinion that anyone who has hair that shows in back of their neck when you are looking from the front looks at least 10 years older than one who has short hair. Short hair keeps attention away from a sagging neck.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:05 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,685,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The OP's thread title and initial post were 'loaded', they were not innocent questions. The OP didn't just talk about hair length, but said: 'women with men's haircuts I don't get it?' It's kind of like asking someone "when did you stop beating your wife" which requires a person who never beat their wife to assert a defense to the question; immediately creating an adversarial relationship between the person who poses the question and the one responding. Language communicates far more effectively than we consciously think that it does. "women with men's haircuts" requires a woman to answer in one of a few ways "*********, it's none of your business" or "I have short hair but I don't have a man's haircut" or "women can have short hair and still look feminine" And he got all of those responses..more than once. Can't you see how loaded the OP's thread title and subsequent post were?
My thought is, just the fact that this was focused upon by the OP, says a lot. The very idea that he had the need to bring it up in the first place with the assumption that his is an "everyday point of view" and expecting confirmation -- is what is interesting.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:20 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,086,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Are you me? This sounds just like me!

I wash my mid-back length hair every other day. I do it in the shower. From the time I roll out of bed to when I am walking downstairs to head to work is 15-20 minutes - in that time, I've showered, washed and conditioned hair, combed out my hair, gotten dressed, etc. I never dry my hair, and I never, ever straighten it or curl it or any of that stuff. Pull it back and off I go. I love it! The only thing I do differently is I do go to a salon about twice a year and get a couple of inches trimmed off and thinned out.

I'm so glad people can choose to wear their hair how THEY like it, and not how some others on the internet might prefer they wear it.
As someone who's hair length now exceeds her arm span (so it IS getting to be a lot of work to deal with), I concur that long hair is actually lower-maintenance if you just wash it, braid it, let it air-dry, don't color it, trim it yourself (don't have to very often or at all, really), etc. Up to a point, that is!

Old 11-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Someone mentioned just pulling their hair back and calling it a day.

I cannot bring myself to do that. Maybe if I'm working in the yard or exercising, but out in public? No way. My hair is crazy. My friend used to call me cave woman! It needs to be controlled. I wouldn't feel comfort going out without fixing my hair. But I did let it go gray and cut it ultra short. But I still use hair product to make it look better.
Why; who cares? Are you worried about running into people you know or do you do this for complete strangers? Women who believe they're unacceptable in their natural state make me sad!

Old 11-24-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why; who cares? Are you worried about running into people you know or do you do this for complete strangers? Women who believe they're unacceptable in their natural state make me sad!
Why yes I do! I want to look nice for all!!

Old 11-24-2015, 02:02 PM

Again, why; so they'll like you? Because they'll come at you with pitchforks and torches if you don't? I really struggle with this "need to please" that so many women still seem to feel re: their appearance...

Old 11-24-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Again, why; so they'll like you? Because they'll come at you with pitchforks and torches if you don't? I really struggle with this "need to please" that so many women still seem to feel re: their appearance...
Well you never know - they just might!!

Old 11-24-2015, 02:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,359,073 times
Quote:

exactly.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,998,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I want to mention that Riverbird's interpretation of the discussion is completely wrong when she says:

"I would bet that when women started wearing pants/slacks instead of skirts, many believed it was a definite sign of being lesbian."

No one (nor I) is saying that all or many women who have short hair are lesbians, and no one (nor I) are saying that short hair on women often equates to being gay.
All I was saying is that (unfortunately) there are people who still associate "proof of gender" with certain styles in hair and dress. I remember well when pants suits came into style for women and no one said "lesbian" but there were comments like "mannish" and "unfeminine" in nonmetro areas. That was eons ago and it passed quickly, TG. For some reason the choice of very short hair for women is a bit of a controversy (not in real life, just on this thread for some strange reason). It's just the oddest discussion, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement