Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 07:09 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Serious....do you have a girlfriend?

Just answer the question.
Right now, yes. This thread is from 2016. At the time, I didn't, but that played no part in my answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 07:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That’s interesting. I don’t see many over 60 overweight men in the area where I live, the Great Lakes Region. There seem to be a more overweight women. I would say everyone on the whole, though, is of pretty normal weight at least those I see in my senior apartment complex.
I found this one story about Medicare and Medicaid paying for weight loss surgery in one border county.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/u...-in-texas.html

Sorry for being off topic - back to irrelevant men!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:36 AM

588 posts, read 462,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I am going to have to be more observant! But right now I can say that the men around here generally don't go around looking like slobs. But, I would say 70% are overweight. Even the younger ones. I'll see wedding pics of youngish people and all the couples will be overweight. But then this is south texas and we are known for that. They even had a story in the NYTimes about it.
When young and living in Denver Co I was considered average weight at 5 ft 4 in and 120 pds.

Now, in Indiana I am considered average at 5 ft 4 in and 140 pds.

In Denver, now, at 140 I would be considered hefty.

So I am going back down to 130. Then everybody will be happy. Me too.

Still I get the once overs at the gym from the youngens. Why....so much of it is muscle. Yes, it was a tasteless opinion on my attractiveness at almost 63 dear OP.

Can you call me cougar!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:59 AM

588 posts, read 462,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That’s interesting. I don’t see many over 60 overweight men in the area where I live, the Great Lakes Region. There seem to be a more overweight women. I would say everyone on the whole, though, is of pretty normal weight at least those I see in my senior apartment complex.
Indiana, I am sorry to say has a lot of clinically obese people. Do not know why.

It also concerns me how many of them, even young, women are considered obese. I do not get it. I realize menopause can really put some weight on...which I am dealing with right now and 10 pds more than I feel comfortable wearing, but I am talking 50 to 70 pds.

I don't get it. A woman would have to eat a whole bunch of food to keep to that weight.

Then again....same goes for a man.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:56 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Indiana, I am sorry to say has a lot of clinically obese people. Do not know why.

It also concerns me how many of them, even young, women are considered obese. I do not get it. I realize menopause can really put some weight on...which I am dealing with right now and 10 pds more than I feel comfortable wearing, but I am talking 50 to 70 pds.

I don't get it. A woman would have to eat a whole bunch of food to keep to that weight.

Then again....same goes for a man.
It’s actually very easy to overeat in our supersized world. When we got married in 1983, our dishes had a 10 in Inch dinner plate and a 10 ounce capacity soup/cereal bowl. 30 years later I went looking for new dishes and discovered the soup/cereal bowl was now held 22 ounces.

If you don’t pay attention, you fill the bowl. If you pay attention, it feels like you aren’t eating anything.

Add to that? Portions at restaurants are two to three times the size you should eat. Add alcohol, and it’s easy to eat it all and not take half of it home. Some restaurants DO have half portions. But trust me, they aren’t half the price. But I love smaller portions in things. I’m not a leftover person.

And doing Janitorial at condo complexes, I can tell you, I’m very familiar with garbage. Out here, a lot of people order in, and not just pizza. Lots of fast food, lots of frozen foods, lots of takeout. Lots and lots of soda. High calorie not very good for you food.

A lot of younger people don’t know how to cook, or clean. And frankly, when you’re working 50+ hours a week with a two hour commute, something’s gotta give.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:34 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
When young and living in Denver Co I was considered average weight at 5 ft 4 in and 120 pds.

Now, in Indiana I am considered average at 5 ft 4 in and 140 pds.

In Denver, now, at 140 I would be considered hefty.

So I am going back down to 130. Then everybody will be happy. Me too.

Still I get the once overs at the gym from the youngens. Why....so much of it is muscle. Yes, it was a tasteless opinion on my attractiveness at almost 63 dear OP.

Can you call me cougar!
If you are 5'4" and muscular, 140 lbs may be a perfectly fine weight for you. Don't diet down to the point that your "front and rear" are flat, that's less attractive to the vast majority of men.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Don't diet down to the point that your "front and rear" are flat, that's less attractive to the vast majority of men.
Lol...! Shall we start listing the physical details and details of body parts of men which are supposed requirements for what it takes to be attractive to the vast majority of women, in order to fall within and strive for certain strict categories?

Last edited by matisse12; 04-25-2018 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Lol...! Shall we start listing the physical details and details of body parts of men which are supposed requirements for what it takes to be attractive to the vast majority of women, in order to fall within and strive for certain strict categories?
Well, we all know that most women would prefer a guy with a reasonably flat gut, in decent muscular shape. Which, I try to represent. I could lose 10 lbs but am not built like Jackie Gleason.

I'm just pointing out that a reasonably fit woman *can* make an effort to lose weight, and, assuming she starts from a reasonably fit starting point, actually become less attractive (certainly to me) as she becomes thinner.

I do think that if Jane Average out there could magically get to what she thinks of as an "ideal weight", Joe Average would consider her "skin and bones, not all that attractive".

Now if I could achieve my "ideal build" I think most women would consider me "musclebound" - but like Arnold, I would just consider that a compliment, and that they are not my type anyway.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I would love to have a healthy man in my life.

I want sex. Can I make it any plainer. Last three had such issues with it I just don't know what to do! These guys were so upset about their issues that I would watch TV instead of even treading down that path....I am so tired of this.

Then, they want food, booze, the game on, naps and more naps, and, of course, I am to do all the house work at my house and then go to his and he wants me to..... I don't even live there for god's sake.' Last guy actually said to me as I was carting into his home a full meal (which I paid for) to be cooked at his house...we have to fold the things in the dryer. WTF!

Lord! I don't want a child! I want a man!
Marcus Aurelius himself said:

"Be thou erect, or be made erect"

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Marcus_Aurelius - just short of halfway down the page.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:14 PM

413 posts, read 701,445 times
I think most of the stories we hear of old men being besieged by old women with casseroles were from an earlier generation. There are a number of reasons for this. Women my age have worked and cared for themselves and their homes and their cars for years and do not feel helpless without a man. We've retired from the workforce and would like to retire from housework as well. My mother's friends who retired to senior communities found that social life was couples-based, bridge afternoons and golf outings, tea dances, etc. all depended on being partnered. Widows soon felt left out. I don't think that is so true anymore, single older folks are involved in lots of social activities. I enjoy spending time with men, but I fear that many men of our generation cling to old ideas of marriage. I'd like to have an old style wife to care for me too, but I sure wouldn't want to be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement