Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 02:09 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times

Advertisements

I almost got to meet Vicky3Vicky!

We only live about 45 min away from each other but she does not drive & the one weekend (2 weeks ago) when she was coming up here, I was out of town for my granddaughters baptizm.

Darn.

I * think* some people on the Colorado Springs forum may know who I am because I post alot there regarding education/schools/kids issues & several of them work in education with one for sure who has alot of knowledge about my local school district.

In that context, it won't be hard for someone to "connect the dots" so to speak; I have 11 kids & have been involved in that arena for the past 25 years & will be for at least another 6 until my youngest ages out. Then I do have a Grandson here who lives in D-11 & starts Kindergarden next year ... so they are stuck with me for a while.

I'm really socially isolated because my youngest son is disabled.

When I first started posting here I really just wanted to be "liked". I guess I wanted to be one of the "cool kids" so to speak.

I kept alot about the "real me" on mute, I think. Now; I'm much more honest. The real me is more interesting than the "socially acceptable" me anyway & I figure if somebody does not like me they can just put me on "ignore".

Or; they can make it known, which some do but thats ok now. The first time it happened I cried all weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 03:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Are there no or few retired persons where you live?
All of those are frequently discussed topics - and terminology - right here, every day, on this retirement forum. Most "people here" do - or at least seek to - understand them. That you are not familiar with and dismiss them attests to 1) your being a fish out of water here and 2) the need for an anonymous online forum (like this one) to discuss and receive informed responses from people who are going through or have gone through the same situation. In other words, not you or your uneducated and confused bar buddies.
I wanted to give you a rep but I have to wait. So consider this another rep from me.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:01 PM

516 posts, read 429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I think posters would share/reveal less over coffee or beer than they do here.
Thats exactly right. I would like to know the psychology behind humans having more courage behind a computer vs. in real life. I bet its similar to liquid courage.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:39 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Thats exactly right. I would like to know the psychology behind humans having more courage behind a computer vs. in real life. I bet its similar to liquid courage.
I think there's a lot of that. Once I watched a guy I liked to read totally demolish my respect for him one night. It was a disaster.

But something even more common was mentioned by another poster. A lot of us are quiet people in person. In real life I know I do a lot more listening than I do talking.

All my life I've been better able to express myself on paper than face-to-face. Sometimes my brain works faster than my common sense so I'm careful not to speak about controversial issues until I have my thoughts composed. Writing on a forum offers that opportunity.

It's a fact that the majority of folks who like to spend a lot of time on internet forums tend toward the introverted type of personality. That doesn't necessarily mean that we are reluctant to share our opinions.

The truth is people rarely ask me any questions in real life. They're too busy talking about themselves. So I like having a place to come where I can offer an opinion.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:30 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
My daughter-in-law and son actually ended up moving to the same town as her best "internet friend" 5 years ago..
( they co-moderated the same internet site )

When they did meet face to face they had a 30 minute " awkward visit".........(daughter-in-law's words ) and haven't visited or spoken to each other since.

An "internet friend" is entirely different than a real face to face friend in the real world.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
David A Stone, that's because how a person looks and behaves in real life and in face-to-face interaction can determine how you feel about them. How they look and behave can also indicate socio-economic status, social class, and also level of education. Sometimes it just takes getting a look at a person or a conversation to know that you would want nothing to do with them. And some people look deranged. Just go to PlentyofFish.com (POF.com) and take a look at some (or many) of the men, particularly in our age group. Very frightening! (I haven't looked at the women at POF.com)

Last edited by matisse12; 11-19-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-20-2016, 12:15 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
What? You're kidding right? Leave my bunker? Why I'd have to put on clean underware and brush my hair.

And you'd be disappointed.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:53 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,724,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

An "internet friend" can be entirely different than a real face to face friend in the real world, but not always.
Fixed that for you.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:32 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What? You're kidding right? Leave my bunker? Why I'd have to put on clean underware and brush my hair.

And you'd be disappointed.
What no gun, jamies? I confess I'm disappointed in you

Old 11-20-2016, 06:15 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
I like this forum to learn about retirement issues from the viewpoints of others. And sometimes the threads, or a few posts, are light-hearted and enjoyable.

A group of people on a forum related to work met up at a national convention a few years ago. We never could get comfortable with each other's real names, and kept reverting to our screen names. That was amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement