Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Medical MJ comes in many, many varieties. Some are specifically bred to be higher in THC, and some are bred to be higher in the other cannabinoids and low in THC. THC is what gets you high and is mostly active in the brain, the other CBD's are what usually works to relieve pain, etc, and affects receptors in various parts of the body, making certain strains more helpful for certain symptoms. It comes in many forms including edibles. Most cancer sufferers that use it for appetite and pain relief use edibles such as lollipops, since smoking is usually not recommended for cancer. Many other edibles exist such as rice krispy treats, brownies, hard candies, etc. They are made with an extraction of the buds/leaves, so you aren't eating the leaves.

Here's some good information. https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis...nabis-medicine

As luvarkansas says in the post quoted above...its all just chemicals, which is all any other drug is. It's illegality as medicine in some states makes about as much sense as banning aspirin. Most drugs are synthetic versions of one or another plant-derived chemicals. I'm sure pharmaceutical companies would like to keep it so that we cant just grow our own medications in the back yard or basement.
I see that you are in Tennessee? Is it legally available there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 02:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
If people read (or listened closely to the commercials) about all the side effects and possible bad results from the pharmaceuticals they take, they probably wouldn't take them either.
Absolutely! I have had approved, prescribed meds do more harm than the illness they were treating including landing me in the hospital for nearly a week last year. The doctor who prescribed those will not admit it but the attending physician took me off them first thing when I was admitted so I knew something was up.

Funny thing, the prescribing doctor still wants to prescribe this med for me every time I see her. When it comes to doctors and their knowledge of the side effects of prescribed drugs, I have very little faith. Worth another

Regarding medical MJ, I used to live in a state where it was legal and it worked for many people. I would try it if it ever becomes legal in my new state. I'm kind of sorry I missed the opportunity when I had it.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:07 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Nope. Will not happen ever with me. I don't want to live with the horrible consequences for me personally. The way even a teensy bit of the mild stuff affected me 40 plus years ago was horrific .. extreme paranoia is not a fun thing to deal with.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Nope. Will not happen ever with me. I don't want to live with the horrible consequences for me personally. The way even a teensy bit of the mild stuff affected me 40 plus years ago was horrific .. extreme paranoia is not a fun thing to deal with.
Long time smokers I know did become paranoid. But that was after many years of smoking it. You must be very sensitive. That just proves that not every remedy is for every person.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:17 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
I am VERY relieved here in Seattle, although I am 54.5 years old. I have had 1000 belly surgeries and a crushed leg in a car accident and I have TERRIBLE anxiety . The CORRECT pot - not whatever your cousin brought over in a baggie in the 70's make a world of difference for me.

I was able to get COMPLETELY off of XANAX and Klonopin using that to help me and stay off . The pain and nausea are gone and I can sleep all night . The legal cared for varieties are very strong and It takes 3-4 drags a night and I feel so so much better . I could no longer drive when taking X or K anyway so I do the same with the Pot . Here in Wa I can't get a medical card anymore because alot of varieties , like mine, are now sold recreationaly . Maybe some can that had old ones but there is not much need anymore .

For me it helped with everything and got me off the hard drugs used to control my problems. I will never be 100% ok ( burst gall bladder -massive damage) but I feel so much better and not over medicated .

For some other posters mentioning it ,I had what was like bad acid trips with several kinds from the 70's- 90's and quit out of fear in 1992. People could say what it was they had, but really, people didn't know- it was just generic pot or some weird cross . For me I found out I was smoking mainly the Sativa types . I do not get that AT ALL with the Indica types, I am very sensitive and cannot even have a sativa hybrid. It MUST be a 100% Indica variety or I too will have bad paranoia/ anxiety attacks / racing heart/ fright .. ect .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 02-21-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 04:29 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I am VERY relieved here in Seattle, although I am 54.5 years old. I have had 1000 belly surgeries and a crushed leg in a car accident and I have TERRIBLE anxiety . The CORRECT pot - not whatever your cousin brought over in a baggie in the 70's make a world of difference for me.

I was able to get COMPLETELY off of XANAX and Klonopin using that to help me and stay off . The pain and nausea are gone and I can sleep all night . The legal cared for varieties are very strong and It takes 3-4 drags a night and I feel so so much better . I could no longer drive when taking X or K anyway so I do the same with the Pot . Here in Wa I can't get a medical card anymore because alot of varieties , like mine, are now sold recreationaly . Maybe some can that had old ones but there is not much need anymore .

For me it helped with everything and got me off the hard drugs used to control my problems. I will never be 100% ok ( burst gall bladder -massive damage) but I feel so much better and not over medicated .
This is a very common story that I've heard numerous times since Medical MJ became legal in Colorado.

Many big Pharma drugs have profound side effects. For many people, MJ works better. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

A lot of people are moving here to try a new solution for their serious medical problems.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I am in healthcare and have worked in states with MMJ laws. I have yet to see it help anyone.

Those who used various forms for pain, still refused therapy activities or exercise because of pain. Those who used it for nausea still complained of nausea to me. Those who used it for insomnia, still complained they "didn't sleep good" when they had something to do.

But not a one was willing to stop the MMJ and try anything else. Hmmmm. I also find it amusing that people who scream about genetically modified foodstuffs, often have no issue with genetically modified weed.
Well now you have if you read my previous post - and I was raised on a cow/calf operation in Texas ( someone mentioned you ranch in Wyoming) . I am now able to be hired to catch ride again since I am off the X and K . The X and K and other stuff were killing me , I could not make it through a class at a show anymore, I even fainted off a paid ride in the middle of the class( we're talking horses here ) and I needed the money . Now I stopped fainting and other fun gross stuff. 3-7 horses a day is enough exercise for me and there isn't much else you can do in the aftermath of a rough gallbladder surgery where it had burst affecting everything . More surgery and more meds .
I also sleep like a rock if I have it . It was actually Monsanto that engineered the first GM pot. No surprise there but I am not complaining , mine are from local growers .

@Vision - you know it! I wasn't gong to last much longer with all the meds I had to have .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 02-21-2017 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 05:04 PM

497 posts, read 484,857 times
I think one of the things a lot of people fail to realize is different strains have different effects. Some are just for pain, others for anxiety, some for sleep. They are not all the same. Strains are specifically crossed to add or remove certain properties. What works for one person may have no effect on another. Personally I don't like being overly "high", I have only used for pain, anxiety and sleep issues.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Thats why I like to check out leafly . Alot . You can easily research.

As you can see in my pic I LOVE the Seahawks-- LAWD I have loved them from the start even back in Texas. They have a new hybrid here called Legion of Boom that I so wish I could have but just cannot. Wont work& make me paranoid . I'll probably get a small pack to add to my Seahawk collection . They also last week I think came out with 12th Man Down , I have to see if I can use that one possibly .

Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Absolutely! I have had approved, prescribed meds do more harm than the illness they were treating including landing me in the hospital for nearly a week last year. The doctor who prescribed those will not admit it but the attending physician took me off them first thing when I was admitted so I knew something was up.

Funny thing, the prescribing doctor still wants to prescribe this med for me every time I see her. When it comes to doctors and their knowledge of the side effects of prescribed drugs, I have very little faith. Worth another

Regarding medical MJ, I used to live in a state where it was legal and it worked for many people. I would try it if it ever becomes legal in my new state. I'm kind of sorry I missed the opportunity when I had it.
I asked my son who lives on Clifton in Lakewood, and he says you probably wouldn't have a lot of trouble finding some there if you wanted to try it out.

And no, it's not his thing, he's into programming, single malt Scotch, craft beers, and gaming with his buddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement