Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 03:41 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Sounds like she did something wrong with her application or didn't qualify.
No she didn't because I put in the amount twice. She did it again twice. We ended up using a plan not in coveredca. This is before the application stage. Just the part that you put in your income, age and select the plan. Not much can go wrong except it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
If by HC, you mean health care, AKA Affordable Care, I think it did help a lot of people. I guess I can see your point about people retiring in their 40s and 50s who have tons of money stashed away in accounts who take advantage of the system to get their healthcare subsidized, but what about those whose bodies wear out, or are victims of age discrimination or for whatever reason have to retire prior to age 65? I don't think it is for you or me to decide what their fate should be.
I'm sure it did help some people. But on average it was very expensive. I think wsj had an article it costs the government an average $29,000 per year under ACA.
Victims of age discrimination. We are all victims. My whole family everybody experienced some form of age discrimination, but we managed to carry on.
Note again, I don't dictate their fate, voters did. We live in a democracy.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
The thing is that a lot of entry level jobs do not provide health insurance. Many young people on their parent's policy are working! Staying on their parents' helps bridge the gap between school and a job with benefits. Also, it keeps them on an employer-provided insurance plan instead of getting taxpayer subsidies to buy individual insurance.
Plus those young people are technically healthy, it doesn't cost much on average to cover them.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:01 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
no sense in waiting. USA HC is not an option during ages 50 - 65, nor has it been since A(?)CA, and well before.

Deal with it by your own means.

1) keep working
2) move overseas
3) afford it (~$50k / yr at risk)
4) use medical tourism (as do 15m / yr, including MANY from national HC countries)
5) use a HC sharing network
6) be at risk (self insured)
7) Find a SO with HC insurance

Hopefully there will be more options in the future, but I am not PUTTING my life on hold WAITING to discover them.

YMMV
Actually ACA has and is being used by a large number of early retirees. Income drops subsidy kicks in, as long as you have some cash it works out. According to the online Calc if I'm 50 and say I have 30,000 in countable income the feds kick in $350 a month and a I pay $200 a month with a $3500 ded and 35 copay (about the same as most employers plans)

Old 03-10-2017, 04:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Actually ACA has and is being used by a large number of early retirees. Income drops subsidy kicks in, as long as you have some cash it works out. According to the online Calc if I'm 50 and say I have 30,000 in countable income the feds kick in $350 a month and a I pay $200 a month with a $3500 ded and 35 copay (about the same as most employers plans)
Yes, Affordable Care Act (ACA) or what is called Obamacare is, indeed, being used by many retirees between age 50 and 64.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-10-2017 at 04:38 PM..

Old 03-10-2017, 04:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
All I know is a 26 year old is NOT a child. I think that having "children" eligible under their parents health care until they are 26 is ridiculous. Time to grown up and go to school or get a job like the rest of us!
This because so many are in school and not in the workforce to get or pay for healthcare

Old 03-10-2017, 05:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I'm wondering if NewbieHere was writing fast and misspoke in her haste when she wrote "It's not right to retire before 65." Her previous comment was "But it's not a right to retire pre-Medicare age." And I agree with her previous comment. If you can qualify for disability, work a public or private sector job that allows you to retire before 65 and provides health insurance after retirement, save enough to pay for your own health insurance for a few years, or even manage to milk the ACA subsidies based on an artificially low income, then good for you. But it is not the responsibility of the taxpayer to fund your early retirement, we have enough people to subsidize as it is.
ESL I reckon.

Syntax gives that away.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Maybe you should spend some time to learn more about the new law. It's called advanceable tax credit, you get the tax credit ahead, even if you don't owe any tax, you get some money back. It could go into an HSA.
It's ridiculous because you want to complain instead of trying to understand the bill. Guess what under Obamacare, my kid was supposed to get subsidy and she got none, now that is real RIDICULOUS, not fake one.
The tax credit advance will not help someone who is unable to pay - it is simply an advance on what you think your tax credit will be. If you have no tax credit, you get no advance. If your tax credit is way less than the premium and you cannot afford the premium, then you are out of luck. The advance cannot do anything for that situation.

The tax credit advance was also available under ACA.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The tax credit advance will not help someone who is unable to pay - it is simply an advance on what you think your tax credit will be. If you have no tax credit, you get no advance. If your tax credit is way less than the premium and you cannot afford the premium, then you are out of luck. The advance cannot do anything for that situation.

The tax credit advance was also available under ACA.
Well it sucks isn't it, how do they pay now? It's an advance by age, not income unlike subsidy like Obamacare. ACA was subsidy not tax credit. Learn the difference. WSJ had an article specifically on this recently.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Well it sucks isn't it, how do they pay now? It's an advance by age, not income unlike subsidy like Obamacare. ACA was subsidy not tax credit. Learn the difference. WSJ had an article specifically on this recently.
I suggest you read this page from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...ium-tax-credit

Here is a quote from the IRS:
"The Basics. The premium tax credit is a refundable tax credit designed to help eligible individuals and families with low or moderate income afford health insurance purchased through the Health Insurance Marketplace, also known as the Exchange, beginning in 2014."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement