Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:30 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times

Advertisements

Hubby talks about wanting to move from Arizona, back to the Chicago area, where we were born and raised. We would buy a condo. We have canvassed the particular area in person and checked the condos available on the Internet. Access to public transportation is an absolute MUST for us!! Because we would be on a tight budget, the transportation we would rely on most would be the bus and an occasional train, with some car trips until my husband stops driving. We have zeroed in a particular building just one block from a stop on a major bus route, with a stoplight at the intersection for safer crossing. It is also walking distance to a major grocery store and many shops and restaurants.

The home we live in now was also purchased with an eye toward convenient bus transport and we have 2 bus routes close by, as well as a local transportation bus that travels in a loop every hour, which you can ride for 25 cents. And we live in a walkable location now, which is intentional.

The statement an earlier poster made intrigued me. It was about having to use a smart phone application to hire/contact an Uber/Lyft ride? Is this true? They make $$ by not having telephone contact and dispatch service? If so, I guess that takes that transportation out of the option for us, as we dropped back to old-fashioned flip phone service! Or can you make a reservation on the Internet the way you do for Super Shuttle and then go stand outside and wait for them to come? How does it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 11:32 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
You can order a Lyft via computer too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-05-2017, 11:34 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's been good for her, more money, people to talk to, her own hours. She loves it. She was having trouble (not sure if it was self imposed) finding work so I suggested it and she has been driving ALL over for the last couple years.
My first Uber drive was with a retiree. He said he drove for both Lyft and Uber. He can turn on or off when he wants to work. What's a great way for seniors to earn some income.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:49 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Use Uber or Lyft.

It's easier and much more convenient than driving yourself.

You need the ride, not a car.

Sorry, but the above is simply not true. When you drive yourself, you can leave home whenever you want; there is no waiting and you can do it on a whim. Then at your destination you can also leave whenever you want; there is no waiting and you can do it on a whim.

Uber or Lyft may well be easier and more convenient than a taxi, and I concede that they are fairly easy and convenient. But the fact remains that driving yourself is more so.

One possible exception is if your destination has parking problems. With serious parking problems, driving yourself becomes less easy and less convenient. In my own case, I have very few destinations with parking problems. People who live in Manhattan or in San Francisco probably cannot say the same.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:14 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Re: The Seniors earning a living with Uber or Lyft, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they had certain standards concerning age/make/model of cars and they had to be pretty new [maybe 5 yrs old or less?]. With the cost of new, or newly new cars these days, that is a HUGE chuck of change out of savings/investments for a Senior, along with the extra liability insurance. Or maybe people finance them, as long as you can find a car loan lower than the interest rate you are receiving on investments.....

I guess we did not get "with the program"!! We buy well-loved older cars/non-flashy from [usually] an older person giving it up, and drive it as long as we can. I do not think we have owned more than 7 cars since we married. But, when we were younger, we did do the mini-van in every driveway thing, just like our neighbors....

Just having the obligation of a big car loan in older years is not for us....if it can be avoided, and sometimes it can't.....

Old 08-05-2017, 12:44 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My Mom already had the car, I think she has a Camry or something.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-05-2017, 12:49 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Having been stuck in Bay Area traffic for the last 20 years, can't wait to move where I never have to drive again if I don't want to!

Old 08-05-2017, 12:51 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Re: The Seniors earning a living with Uber or Lyft, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they had certain standards concerning age/make/model of cars and they had to be pretty new [maybe 5 yrs old or less?]. With the cost of new, or newly new cars these days, that is a HUGE chuck of change out of savings/investments for a Senior, along with the extra liability insurance. Or maybe people finance them, as long as you can find a car loan lower than the interest rate you are receiving on investments.....

I guess we did not get "with the program"!! We buy well-loved older cars/non-flashy from [usually] an older person giving it up, and drive it as long as we can. I do not think we have owned more than 7 cars since we married. But, when we were younger, we did do the mini-van in every driveway thing, just like our neighbors....

Just having the obligation of a big car loan in older years is not for us....if it can be avoided, and sometimes it can't.....
It was a very nice car, luxury SUV. I didn't order luxury or anything. I didn't know how.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Hubby talks about wanting to move from Arizona, back to the Chicago area, where we were born and raised. We would buy a condo. We have canvassed the particular area in person and checked the condos available on the Internet. Access to public transportation is an absolute MUST for us!! Because we would be on a tight budget, the transportation we would rely on most would be the bus and an occasional train, with some car trips until my husband stops driving. We have zeroed in a particular building just one block from a stop on a major bus route, with a stoplight at the intersection for safer crossing. It is also walking distance to a major grocery store and many shops and restaurants.

The home we live in now was also purchased with an eye toward convenient bus transport and we have 2 bus routes close by, as well as a local transportation bus that travels in a loop every hour, which you can ride for 25 cents. And we live in a walkable location now, which is intentional.

The statement an earlier poster made intrigued me. It was about having to use a smart phone application to hire/contact an Uber/Lyft ride? Is this true? They make $$ by not having telephone contact and dispatch service? If so, I guess that takes that transportation out of the option for us, as we dropped back to old-fashioned flip phone service! Or can you make a reservation on the Internet the way you do for Super Shuttle and then go stand outside and wait for them to come? How does it work?
Oh goodness, who would want to go back to the harsh weather elements and especially in their last parts of life. A good friend retired to Palm Desert and the summers are HORRID, but she deals with it. Other times of years weather is lovely.

I've never used Uber or Lyft YET, and don't have a smart phone, but am connected to a organization called 24 Hr HomeCare and they installed a life alert machine for me, also free from a senior group here in Santa Monica...but 24Hr Home Care will take care of uber/lyft arrangements. Maybe they are in other states too.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:31 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Here's what recently happened in my area:

At an assisted living facility a group of residents and staff were in front of the building doing aerobics. While this was going on, an 81 year old resident pulled her car into the facility's parking lot, got confused about which was the brake pedal and which was the accelerator pedal in her car, and plowed into the group doing aerobics.

Result?

Three (3) dead, including the 31 year old aerobics instructor, who had 2 little children.

Several more severely injured.

People just have to be honest with themselves about when their reactions are no longer fit for driving an automobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement