Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My podiatrist said my foot pain is caused by arthritis, plantar facitis, bursitis, and tendonitis. Woohoo, a quadfecta of itises.

He suggested wearing rubber clogs with good (not drugstore) arch supports. Surprisingly effective, I rarely hobble around in pain any more.

Shoes with a 1" or higher heel and very soft, cushy soles are also helpful.
Do you mean Crocs? Or what brand of 'rubber clogs'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Hellacious bunions here, thanks to too many years of high heels. You're not alone with the foot pain problem. I also have very thin soles - feels like the bones are coming right through - and fight corns and calluses constantly. I recently got some walking shoes with memory foam insoles . . . the best thing ever! I didn't take the whole memory foam hype seriously until I got these shoes. I even went back and got a second pair so I could rotate them. Might be worth a try.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Hellacious bunions here, thanks to too many years of high heels. You're not alone with the foot pain problem. I also have very thin soles - feels like the bones are coming right through - and fight corns and calluses constantly. I recently got some walking shoes with memory foam insoles . . . the best thing ever! I didn't take the whole memory foam hype seriously until I got these shoes. I even went back and got a second pair so I could rotate them. Might be worth a try.
I don't know what kind of shoes you got but I buy Skecher slip ons with memory foam and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:20 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I have to stretch my Achilles' tendon and fascia almost every morning to walk pain free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Orthotics. They really help. I don't leave home without mine.
Consistent movement, orthotics, the right shoes, it might take some trial and error but they work.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:06 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Do you mean Crocs? Or what brand of 'rubber clogs'?
any brand at all. I have at least 4 different kinds, they all work.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:17 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
My feet are killing me!!!!!!!!! 70 years old and I just dread walking. I think it is a combination of diabetic neuropathy and osteoarthritis. I am getting with my doctor asap to see what she can do. Anyone else with similar condition?
my feet always burn from diabetic neuropathy. it sucks!.

i am down to pre diabetic levels with no meds but the nerves never healed .

Old 08-12-2017, 02:25 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Yes Crocks will help dramatically.
I have a few pairs, both copy cat and name brand Crocks.
I enjoy them but can't wear them to work as there are only one kind with closed toes, and I must have closed toe shoes for work.

For work I wear orthodics I got for diabetics from my podiatrist.
I also have "flip flop " sandals with open toes and wear those all summer, it's the closest I can be to barefoot, which has always been my preference all my life, but isn't practical for all uses.
I have a high arch and with the formed to my feet orthopedic shoes I'm covered.
They make all kinds now, not just the big clunky ones of days of old. I have a black pair of athletic type shoes that pass easily for dress shoes without being actual dress shoes.
Because I'm also disabled I have medicare and Medicare will pay for one pair a year. I bought the sandals and regular sandals for $50 each. I have 3 insoles sets for the dressy athletic shoes and change every quarter ( the original one had worn out and I've gone through the second set, about to wear the third set. The last set will last me until my next pair paid for by medicare.

It's worth the trip to the podiatrist to get them!!!

My only foot problem is the high arch and not having support in shoes, hence the reason barefoot feels better to me. I always hated shoes as they never had enough arch support.
Now with diabetes I don't dare NOT have something...even if I have just the flip flops on.

Go see a podiatrist if you haven't.
Best thing I ever did.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 08-12-2017 at 02:49 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 05:44 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
After the age of 50 or you have to measure your feet every time you buy shoes. No one has the same size feet at 70 as they did at 45, though some think they do. I have gone up 1 full size. The other day my sister, a couple years older, mentioned she is 1 1/2 sizes larger.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:09 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
I'm in my 60s. Various, serious medical issues including diabetes and OA. The only comfortable shoes for me are Crocs. I buy them from the Croc's Online website to make sure I'm not buy knockoffs.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:17 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i have no problems running as i run 5 miles every other day to keep my diabetes in check with no meds .

but the tips of my toes can be so sensitive 24/7 .

they feel like the worst sunburn when a sheet hits you . i must keep my feet covered at night or they hurt .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement