Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 08:23 AM

88,596 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

No, I have not given up alcohol. I hope not to have to do so. I like wine, beer, and certain hard liquors. I do the like effects of alcohol. As a person tending toward feeling anxious for no reason at all, it helps me relax.

Fortunately, I can drink in moderation, or choose not to drink alcohol at all. Some people cannot, including some very near to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 08:25 AM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I enjoy my nightly mini bottle of Pinot Grigio (6 oz.). However I wake up anywhere between 2:30 and 4:30 in the morning several times a week.

So will hold off on my nightly drink until the weekend and see how it goes.
I am a biphasic sleeper. So I wake up every night at 3 AM; then I get up and read for an hour or two.

You may want to find some articles and see if the sleep pattern fits you. For years and years I thought I had insomnia.

On the other hand, if you are talking about waking up because of alcohol, with your heart pounding and mild sweating, you may want to consider the possibility that alcohol produces atrial fibrillation. It does in me, when I drink beer or wine, but not with higher quality scotch.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:58 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,050,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am a biphasic sleeper. So I wake up every night at 3 AM; then I get up and read for an hour or two.

You may want to find some articles and see if the sleep pattern fits you. For years and years I thought I had insomnia.

On the other hand, if you are talking about waking up because of alcohol, with your heart pounding and mild sweating, you may want to consider the possibility that alcohol produces atrial fibrillation. It does in me, when I drink beer or wine, but not with higher quality scotch.
No wine with dinner last night and slept well.

No, I don't wake up with any symptoms, rather the biphasic pattern you mentioned---read a while then back to sleep.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:37 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The late great Bob Newhart said "I'm half Irish and half German. That makes me a meticulous drunk."
That's a great quote. Anothet great quote was by Mark Twain about the reports of his death being greatly exaggerated. The reason I mention that is because Bob Newheart isn't dead. Unless you know something the rest of the world - - including Bob - - doesn't!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:26 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I'll list them here, and how dare you second guess my doctors, since I am sure most of you are NOT doctors.

21) oxygen machine, feeds into the CPAP, because my pulse ox drops to 77 while I sleep, even with the CPAP.

That's not too bad since I have 23 chronic medical conditions.
About us second guessing your doctors, my hunch is most of us on this thread are benevolent.

The pharmaceutical companies are no good, IMO. I know in the past they've paid off doctors in one way or another to prescribe their drugs.

It's probably a good idea to learn as much as possible about those medicines.

Once in a while, a second doctors opinion may be a good idea, even if you have to pay out of pocket for a visit/review.

After drinking in the boss's office after work a number of years ago, they hooked me up to an oxygen tank to aid the sobering process. I was also good friends with a fellow who liked the dentist's gas so much, he acquired his own tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Getting a SS check every month also helps. Perhaps that's why some people call it "Sociable Security".

If 67 is your year of birth, aren't you too young for social security?

Old 12-12-2017, 01:34 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Mike will never give up his bourbon. 1-2 (sometimed 3) a week

Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's a great quote. Anothet great quote was by Mark Twain about the reports of his death being greatly exaggerated. The reason I mention that is because Bob Newheart isn't dead. Unless you know something the rest of the world - - including Bob - - doesn't!
His character on Big Bang Theory, Professor Proton, is dead.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:41 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
interesting that you wake up at 3am. I AM NOT A DOCTOR.! Metabolizing alcohol delays metabolizing food. Your body treats alcohol like a toxin and your liver focuses on dealing with that first... for some people that can mean your insulin levels go up steeply while sleeping and results in your liver dumping sugars and fats into your bloodstream which can make you wide awake.

i have not looked into this in a few years, so my facts might be all over the place but if you are prediabetic it might be worth looking at...

just my opinion, might be completely wrong.
No diabetes, evilcart, but guess what? Wonky liver enzymes for no evident reason, other than perhaps my gallstones. All the more reason to abstain.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:56 PM

588 posts, read 463,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Rolling your eyes at the thought of someone actually enjoying the taste of beer, whisky, or wine? Seriously?? And what's with your admonition that people are only allowed one drink unless they're with someone? So if I'm home alone and I order a pizza to be delivered, I'm only allowed to drink one beer with it or I'm maladjusted?

GTFO
Since pizza is considered a vice by the food police then logically you should only eat pizza when sharing it with someone else. No eating that pizza alone or the food police are going to get you

Oh and guzzle that beer with the pizza man while he makes change. Technically you are not drinking while alone.

I wonder if you would have to wear an ankle bracelet and go to the very expensive pizza rehabs where you are only allowed 25 grams of carbos a day, with attending chart you must fill out and have your sponser attest to you maintaining. Remember....that pepperoni is considered a prepared carcinogen. All most as bad as smoking cigs.

That's an idea! Rehab for smoking! NAW! Big Pharma would never allow it. Too much money taken from all those patches and such...and then Big Tobacco...nope never going to happen. Of course, unless they all get together, Big Pharma, Big Tobacco, Big Booze.

Then let everyone out of the BBB to continue imbibing, then back to rehab.

Lord you just gotta love that business model. Create a need then fill it

Old 12-12-2017, 01:59 PM

588 posts, read 463,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Since pizza is considered a vice by the food police then logically you should only eat pizza when sharing it with someone else. No eating that pizza alone or the food police are going to get you

Oh and guzzle that beer with the pizza man while he makes change. Technically you are not drinking while alone.

I wonder if you would have to wear an ankle bracelet and go to the very expensive pizza rehabs where you are only allowed 25 grams of carbos a day, with attending chart you must fill out and have your sponser attest to you maintaining. Remember....that pepperoni is considered a prepared carcinogen. All most as bad as smoking cigs.

That's an idea! Rehab for smoking! NAW! Big Pharma would never allow it. Too much money taken from all those patches and such...and then Big Tobacco...nope never going to happen. Of course, unless they all get together, Big Pharma, Big Tobacco, Big Booze.

Then let everyone out of the BBB to continue imbibing, then back to rehab.

Lord you just gotta love that business model. Create a need then fill it
Good Lord,

I could be rich

Create a need and then fill it.

Any investors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement