Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post

Many People don't get it that cannabis Is kept illegal because of bribery by many special interest groups who all fear legalization will adversely affect their industry. Best wishes, all.
And many people don't get that alcohol is kept legal even though it can be lethal because the alcohol industry is so powerful.

Since we have little influence on these anonymous forces in our lives I suggest that maybe we have yet one more choice than either using alcohol or smoking cannabis. How about learning new skills to reduce life stressors without the risk of ye olde foggy haze?

We retired folks have to keep our wits about us at all times with all the special interest groups out there scheming to influence us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 10:00 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

We retired folks have to keep our wits about us at all times with all the special interest groups out there scheming to influence us.

not to mention friends and family

Old 12-13-2017, 10:38 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
not to mention friends and family
It's a battle, I tell ya. . .

Old 12-13-2017, 01:29 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times
I stopped drinking in my 20's, because I was just bored with it. I have absolutely no inclination for alcohol. I don't dislike most kinds of the hard stuff, I just really have no interest in it, can take it or leave it, and only drank in my late teens and early 20s to be social.

I always say that if only I felt the same way about chocolate as I feel about alcohol I'd be almost vice free !

Old 12-13-2017, 01:31 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,061,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just in general, either in food, beer, wine or booze. It makes sense to be discerning and selective. As I said already, I never liked beer much, but if I ever have one again, it might be at a craft brewery. It certainly won’t be a Bud Light.

Yes, selective is the operative word for me. Not every night, but probably 3-5 nights a week. One or two standard drinks... certainly not enough to "get drunk". Sometimes my wife and I will open a bottle of Cabernet and drink it over two nights. Or I'll have a nice glass of IPA a Brown Ale; there's an incredible variety of good quality beer available today. I sleep much better if I stop with the alcohol a couple of hours before bedtime, and also drink water after the alcohol.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-13-2017 at 02:43 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 03:48 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,075 times
Gentle Heart, Happy to know you made a decision to do what is right for you; so difficult to see other folks/loved one make choices I do not think are acceptable. For myself, can only set an example, work on my own defects of character.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:54 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
And many people don't get that alcohol is kept legal even though it can be lethal because the alcohol industry is so powerful.

Baloney. Alcohol is kept legal because we live in a democracy and the majority of voters do NOT favor prohibition. Can it really be that you have forgotten that we tried prohibition in the United States approximately 100 years ago and it didn't work?

Yes, there is such a thing as abuse of alcohol and I deplore it. Making it illegal would not stop the abuse! Do you also want to ban kitchen knives because murders have been committed by using them?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:19 PM

436 posts, read 302,727 times
We've not drank for almost 30 years we've been together but started about 6 months ago.

It helps me sleep. But we only drink 1-2 drinks generally, a few times a week since it is difficult to exercise consuming any more. Really drags down the ride the following day

Otherwise it's sorta the opposite with us. We are late bloomers

Overall it is easier to have friends that do not drink at all. Again, that is overall. Just because there is so much alcohol abuse. When we are with others, we do not drink since there is so much to do here it wouldn't make any sense. We live in a beautiful recreational area. Surrounding us are snow-mobilers, hikers, cyclists, fishermen, etc...so we are usually involved in some mutual activity. If not, we are downtown eating breakfast together at the local restaurant (or dinner if it is the weekend). There is only one restaurant right downtown 1.5 miles away open at night, and only open on weekends. Otherwise when the weather is better, the tourist season begins so everything will be open everyday.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Slept great last night. Didn't have to get up in the middle of the night and I feel better this morning!

Old 12-14-2017, 09:59 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Just one more thing.

I drink only really good beer now. There are a number of small breweries making very good flavorful beer. Drink less but drink only quality brews.

No more cheap beer for me.
Same here. I don't drink as much as I did when I was young, but I drink better stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement