Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL! We needed some humor injected into this thread! I never understood the whole drinking-alone condemnation. There's not always another person there when you need 'em.

Me either. Or how wine is supposedly better/classier. I don't like to be around one friend when she drinks wine because it makes her loopy, while if she's having a cocktail or two, it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:58 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think the point on drinking alone means that you obviously aren't drinking as part of a social situation - you are drinking to DRINK. Sure you can say you're savoring that craft beer or whisky or vintage wine Okay, that gets you ONE drink.

But if you aren't drinking to socialize and are having several drinks, the question is WHY do you want to drink...to forget, to cope, to calm down...? There aren't a lot of positive reasons - especially if you're doing it many or most nights of the week. Because of your drinking or other maladjusted behavior?

It's not that drinking alone CAUSES bad things but there can be a pretty strong correlation with other negative things going on in your life and alcohol rarely helps work that stuff out.
Why does anyone need to drink to socialize?

You can ask the same questions of that. Many people relax with alcohol at home either with their spouse/roommate/friend or no one.

The friend I mentioned seemed to have a hang up about this. Inviting people over for a cocktail. Well, what difference does that make? If I pop over to have cocktails with her, what is the magical transformation that makes those cocktails acceptable rather than if she had them while winding down on the internet/watching her evening shows?

What would be the magical difference if her husband were home with her?

Old 01-07-2018, 06:36 PM

386 posts, read 327,411 times
I live in a retirement community. Heavy drinking seems to be the norm. Golfers drink. Pickleball players drink. Softball players drink. Card players drink. I have been around all these groups and they bring their own booze to the events and drink. Sloppy old men and women who have nothing better to do. Even the club bar is a hangout for the widows and lushes at night. One positive thing for a non-drinker is to go outside the community and visit coffee houses. Seems like many of the Canadians and Mid-west folks grew up doing nothing but drinking booze.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:06 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,655 times
I have the dumbest reason for stopping my one tiny bit of wine in the evening. I used to have that just before going to bed because I could get to sleep easier. I did a few bottles. Then I just got tired of having to go to the store, pay for it, and lug it home. So I just stopped. !snap! Just like that. And I haven't missed it. Anyone want to bring a bottle over, I'll have a couple sips!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
I live in a retirement community. Heavy drinking seems to be the norm. Golfers drink. Pickleball players drink. Softball players drink. Card players drink. I have been around all these groups and they bring their own booze to the events and drink. Sloppy old men and women who have nothing better to do. Even the club bar is a hangout for the widows and lushes at night. One positive thing for a non-drinker is to go outside the community and visit coffee houses. Seems like many of the Canadians and Mid-west folks grew up doing nothing but drinking booze.
My experience has been quite the opposite. I know of only one heavy drinker in my neighborhood, and he died. I'm also not aware of any lushes in any of the groups I associate with, other than one woman, and she's moved on. I didn't retire so I could get sloshed every day and that's probably how most people look at it.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:18 AM

1,155 posts, read 963,227 times
I think people make alcohol part of their lifestyle and don't question WHY they want to make such frequent use of such a heavy-duty drug. The NHS has revised its alcohol guidelines to state that "the risks of cancers associated with drinking alcohol were not fully understood in 1995. Taking these risks on board, we can no longer say that there is such a thing as a "safe" level of drinking. There is only a "low risk" level of drinking."

Their advice for those who feel that they must drink (WHY?) is to keep health risks from drinking alcohol to a low level by drinking no more than 14 units per week – 14 units is equivalent to a bottle and a half of wine or five pints of export-type lager (5% abv) over the course of a week – this applies to both men and women.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-die...advice-issued/

Old 01-12-2018, 02:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I stopped my two light beers every afternoon about a week ago, noticed that appetite is a little less overindulgent, wt staying down, but sleep issues still exist early morning awakening.
still holding strong no light beer - passed the beer isle twice in the last two days...tempted to pick up a case.....but NO!

My weight hit a low recently and I think stopping the two beers/night habit had something to do with it....

Old 01-12-2018, 04:19 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
If you enjoy your 2 daily lite beers....
I'm not sure how anybody could enjoy light beer. There are reasons people drink light or even non-alcoholic beer, but I can't imagine enjoyment being at the top of the list, lol.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm not sure how anybody could enjoy light beer. There are reasons people drink light or even non-alcoholic beer, but I can't imagine enjoyment being at the top of the list, lol.
I imagine if one is used to heavy liquor, it probably doesn't put much of a dent to one's brain.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:05 PM

890 posts, read 883,513 times
Drinking 2-3 glasses of red wine per day dramatically reduces Alzheimer's and other dementia, by over 70%. This study says 3-4 glasses, but the French must have a different size glass. Converting their units gives 2-3 US glasses of 5 oz per serving. So good protection is achieved by 2 glasses daily. Much better than 1 glass, per the study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15455646
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement