Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 06:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Walmart has them for $500.

Yes $1800 is a lot of money and you didn't do research on it before you bought it ?
Hey people, my wife bought this TV, not me. I would have been fine with a $500 TV. She did a lot of research and she wanted an $1800 TV for the Ultra HD. And the TV she got was a Sony so yes, I would expect us to be able to hear it without having to spend another $100+ on a soundbar. We even got the soundbar on sale. It was $200, so we "saved" $80. We got this one (apparently the price went up since then):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...?skuId=5714421
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
If she did enough research then reviews and forum posts should have revealed that sound quality is poor and an additional sound bar is recommended. If nobody else is reporting that, perhaps your unit is defective and you are not getting the quality of sound that you are supposed to be getting?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:15 AM

908 posts, read 1,662,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Pat: You do sound stressed. Do any of your tasks need to be completed right away or can it wait? I find myself in your shoes quite often, disgusted with modern technology and ready to throw it all out the window. What helps me is to take time away from each effort and go at it another day. It sorta gels in my head over night and gets easier with a new day.

I hope it does get easier for you. I, too, am frustrated.
It's a huge time-sucker-stealer. in a very bad way. stuff going wrong or just pulling your focus in to it too much. as well as a money pit, making a few people into billionnaires while addicting us all. But i have to admit i see some communication value in the internet.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:36 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
You all are missing the positive aspects of technology that make our lives fuller and more interesting. Aspects like regularly changing our usernames and passwords for banking, Medicare, cable service, our communication devices, magazine subscriptions, etc., all of which involve conforming to protocols which are not revealed to us until we fail to follow them, in which case we are locked out for 24 hours before we can try and fail again to comply, thus losing access to our own accounts until we try to call the 800 number for customer assistance which requires us to shout “yes!” to robotic statements confirming that we are indeed who we claim to be, living where we live, with the same birthdate that we were born with, using the same telephone number which we are currently calling from, with, yes, the same last four digits of our social security number, in the zip code where we live — all so that we can be reminded that all of our needs can be addressed by logging into our online account...

I mean, without all of this marvelous technological efficiency, how would corporations manage to achieve grotesque profitability by eliminating as many actual human employees as possible while treating their customers as annoyances to be driven to the brink of madness by soulless diabolical data loops?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Hey people, my wife bought this TV, not me. I would have been fine with a $500 TV. She did a lot of research and she wanted an $1800 TV for the Ultra HD. And the TV she got was a Sony so yes, I would expect us to be able to hear it without having to spend another $100+ on a soundbar. We even got the soundbar on sale. It was $200, so we "saved" $80. We got this one (apparently the price went up since then):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...?skuId=5714421
We bought a Sony plasma tv back when they first came out. Maybe early 2000? It was 1700 on the shelf but we paid half due to some discount at the military exchange store. Still going strong. So I think you did okay.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
All that and then....the North Koreans hack us.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:18 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I bought a 50" TV that was open box meaning it had been returned, Saved $100 and it was absolutely new.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:18 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I've been over 6 hours since 6:15 am with ATT to restore service ATT disconnected at the Hospital...

Took several hours on Saturday to exhaust all options and meaning all.

The only only thing was until Monday for Service... was promised 100% it would be resolved Monday... here it is Tuesday.

The endless phone trees that lead to dead ends is one sure way to cause stress...

ATT said I need to establish an online account but this cannot be done as the validation number can only go the number not in service or by US Mail...

Remember when the Phone just worked and the Phone Company had round the clock service?

Tech sure has not helped.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:22 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The other way I keep from being frustrated is that there are only a few technologies that I buy the most recent versions of (the only one that comes to mind is Kindle ereaders)- usually I try to wait until something has been out at least a year.

Right now, for instance, I am looking at some of those remote image doorbells, so I can put one at the end of the long walkway by the gate and see who is coming up the walk. The reviews are a bit iffy, so I will wait a bit and see.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:26 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The other way I keep from being frustrated is that there are only a few technologies that I buy the most recent versions of (the only one that comes to mind is Kindle ereaders)- usually I try to wait until something has been out at least a year.

Right now, for instance, I am looking at some of those remote image doorbells, so I can put one at the end of the long walkway by the gate and see who is coming up the walk. The reviews are a bit iffy, so I will wait a bit and see.

I agree on waiting with new tech, both so the bugs can be worked out and so the price comes down.

I used to have a "no upgrade" rule unless what I already had broke (people made fun of me for not having a flat screen ), but that went by the wayside as DH likes new tech.

Jokes on him, he retired early and he will have to learn a new word "budget."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement