Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 06:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times

Advertisements

^^^ this And sometimes when nothing works, they just say "ask one of your friends for help !!" LOL As if they would know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 06:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Which brings us to my pet peeve: the greatly accelerated upgrade cycle all the major tech companies have adopted. Do we really need a major new operating system update (as opposed to minor patches) every year? Or new "latest and greatest" phones/tablets every 6 months? I wouldn't care too much and would just keep using my older stuff until it breaks, but the manufacturers and software developers quickly stop supporting their older tech (especially the operating systems and apps), so eventually you're forced to upgrade just in order to keep using the same programs and apps you already have.
Utter nonsense. Windows 7 was released in 2009. Windows 10 is still considerd "new" by many and was released over 2 years ago. There will be no Windows 11. Your statement about "new operating system every year" is ridiculous.

iPhones are released every year but you don't have to upgrade. Apple is still supporting iphone 6, released in 2014. Earlier versions of iphones continue to work, they just don't get security patches and updates. As new technology becomes available, should manufacturers hold it back until the technophobes and retired are finally ready?

Old 12-21-2017, 07:02 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,885 times
Heard a news blip on the radio today about Iphones. Apple has acknowledged that it's programs lose speed as their phones age. Their reason is the batteries put out less power and slower programs - sorry apps - accommodates that.

I could be mad about that if I had one of those. Don't they have replacement batteries to get the speed back up?

Course, despite this news today, their stock is up. That's what the news item was really about.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:29 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Utter nonsense. Windows 7 was released in 2009. Windows 10 is still considerd "new" by many and was released over 2 years ago. There will be no Windows 11. Your statement about "new operating system every year" is ridiculous.
No, it's not - at least not in Appleland. Apple used to release an new Macintosh OS every two years and fully supported both the new OS and the previous version, which in practice meant you could go 3-4 years without having to update your OS. Now they release a new version every year, so you have to update your OS every two years for your system to be fully supported. And every major OS update risks breaking something (as I've learned the hard way over the years).

(And while there may never be a Windows 11, I'm certain Windows 10 will not be the last OS Microscoft ever produces. But because they have such a large presence in the corporate environment, which strongly resists major OS updates, they're forced by their customer base to be a lot slower both in releasing their major OS updates and in cutting off support for earlier versions.)

Quote:
iPhones are released every year but you don't have to upgrade. Apple is still supporting iphone 6, released in 2014. Earlier versions of iphones continue to work, they just don't get security patches and updates.
Which is rather critical, given what people use their smartphnes for these days. And Apple has gone to a policy of releasing a new version of iOS yearly, and only supporting the current and previous version. So if your phone is old enough that it can't run iOS 10.3 well, you're forced to upgrade it. (But given that smartphones in general aren't as robust as desktops and laptops, this isn't as annoying an issue; they tend to die well before they become thoroughly obsolete.)

Quote:
As new technology becomes available, should manufacturers hold it back until the technophobes and retired are finally ready?
What new technology? There is literally nothing I (or most people, for that mater) do with our current laptops and desktops that we weren't doing 8-10 years ago. And the improvements on smartphones and tablets, while a bit more noticeable, have also slowed down considerably. I have no plans to upgrade my iPhone 6s until it either dies or it can no longer run a supported version of iOS, because there are no compelling new features on the current crop of smartphones that would justify the upgrade.

Desktops, laptops, tablets , and smartphones are all fairly mature tech at this point.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Well, we're back with our new computer again. The tech guy said they installed the anti-virus program, after trying 4 days with problems. Ok. So we use it a couple hours, and a few minutes the next day and guess what, the anti-V uninstalled itself. Called the tech place and oh, they apologized, but what could they do, wanted us to take it all apart once again and bring it in. When I complained they gave us the remote people's phone number.

4 times we had to call them and they installed the program again and again... Finally the 4th time seems to be the ticket - so far. Crossing my fingers. Lost several hours to this nonsense this morning.

A big part of the problem is I'm busier than most people I know. If I need to get something done, I need to sit down and do it. There's not much time for trouble shooting and the long process of learning. I know at some time soon DH will come and say "send this off to so-and-so" and I haven't yet figured out how to do it.

After the holiday is over, it's on to tax season. After that's over I may have a little time to learn some of this.

Tonight, though, I'm a bit pleased. Looked at something on Google Maps, the street view, and it works so seamlessly with this W10. I was just limping around with the xp. Amazing.
What AV program is this?

Old 12-21-2017, 07:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
RE: your computer not reading the phone. Check your cable and make sure it is a data transfer cable for that device.

I was having the same problem and spent a while with customer service and felt like an idiot when the verdict was the cord. We have so many around, I didn't realize they were different even when they have the same type of connector. But we have a device like that for when we travel!
You know, I need to check that. I can't remember if ours came with a cable or not. Trying to find the one if it did is going to be a real challenge, though.

Thank you.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:04 PM

25,756 posts, read 12,840,301 times
When we go out to a restaurant, we talk to each other. Then, we look around and discover we are the only ones. Everyone else is looking at their smart phones, and/or pushing their buttons. They hardly ever look at each other, or talk.

So, technology (flip-phones) is working for us, but it seems to be pulling others apart. We wonder if they are happier now than they were before they all had smart phones. Sometimes, my wife, or I, says something the other one of us finds funny, and we laugh, or smile and nod. The button pushers seem to just stare at the tiny screens and push buttons mindlessly. They look like zombies to us.

My wife does like online banking, and watching Netflix on her ipad. I like my Macpro for reading news on the Internet, and email.

Our cars dont have any of the latest technology...not even GPS maps. That's okay with us.

When our gadgets stop working, it takes us a lot of time and frustration to get it working again.

I think young people should start businesses to help older people adapt to the new stuff.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:04 PM

51 posts, read 40,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Hey people, my wife bought this TV, not me. I would have been fine with a $500 TV. She did a lot of research and she wanted an $1800 TV for the Ultra HD. And the TV she got was a Sony so yes, I would expect us to be able to hear it without having to spend another $100+ on a soundbar. We even got the soundbar on sale. It was $200, so we "saved" $80. We got this one (apparently the price went up since then):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...?skuId=5714421
Sorry, but there's no way generic TV speakers can ever be near as good as a good sound system whether it be a good soundbar or 5.1/7.1 surround set up. Kind of naive to think it would just because you paid x.

Also I find it funny all the people complaining about how difficult newer tech is, especially Windows 10. Tech has never been any easier to figure out, it's all very simple and streamlined. I am glad I don't have to deal with old DOS systems.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:22 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
When we go out to a restaurant, we talk to each other. Then, we look around and discover we are the only ones. Everyone else is looking at their smart phones, and/or pushing their buttons. They hardly ever look at each other, or talk.

So, technology (flip-phones) is working for us, but it seems to be pulling others apart. We wonder if they are happier now than they were before they all had smart phones. Sometimes, my wife, or I, says something the other one of us finds funny, and we laugh, or smile and nod. The button pushers seem to just stare at the tiny screens and push buttons mindlessly. They look like zombies to us.
Sometimes my husband and I are those people.

It's not indicative of a poor marriage or anything, I we are generally reading the news and sharing stories.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-22-2017, 06:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Heard a news blip on the radio today about Iphones. Apple has acknowledged that it's programs lose speed as their phones age. Their reason is the batteries put out less power and slower programs - sorry apps - accommodates that.

I could be mad about that if I had one of those. Don't they have replacement batteries to get the speed back up?

Course, despite this news today, their stock is up. That's what the news item was really about.
Lose speed about doing what? Sending messages? Sending the voice?

But now that you mention it, can the batteries be replaced on an Iphone? Having only had one for a year, that question had not occurred to be yet. Is it not like a Razr where I have bought at least 2 batteries for it so far and just slipped them in.

Is it when the batteries start to slip in holding a charge, I have to get a new Iphone?

As an Oldie Von Moldie with new technology, that really would be the pits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement