Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The cloud is just a backup. I'm not worried about a hacker seeing my pictures.
The "Cloud"? To me, that means, "other people's computer". Don't really want my data residing on computers/external winchesters other than my own.

On photographs, when the time came to digitize old slides, and realizing what a monumental task it would be, I sorted through the whole library. It didn't take very long to discover that the most cherished slides were ones with people in them. People with which I have/had a personal connection. Beautiful slides of national parks, sailboats, strange architecture, a beat up old hubcap in the dirt, etc. just didn't mean that much to me anymore. They were tossed.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I do "know better" -- 40+ years in high-tech professions, and an MS in computer science. We all have to make personal decisions on how to balance convenience and security, and how best to implement safety strategies for the internet. Claiming that the cloud is categorically unsafe is your choice, but people who have made careers in high-tech fields including myself strongly disagree. I don't put personal identification in the cloud unless it's secure. And bad actors can steal your information or track you down if they want to, even if you're not logging into the internet at all.

Parents I know won't post pictures of children. You have a reason to not post pictures of your house, others don't. That's all fine. There's no such thing as 100% safety but the cloud has its place and can be used safely with a little common sense. If someone wants to be as safe as possible using the internet, don't use the internet. Even if you don't use cloud storage, companies like Amazon and Facebook are storing your cookie data and using it for tracking you around the internet - which you can't get away from even if you delete your browser cookies.
About not using the net:

Assuming I'm honest which on the Net, I'm not.

A and B.

A: Amazon and Facebook don't know me as Tamara.

B: I find the Net amazing because the confounding data I put out over 20 years ago is still out there, is still being used.

It's not pretty being a Spook, if ex........................... but someone has to do it.

I guess the long story short of that one is that just because one uses a system one way, don't think that is justification to use a system all the way.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:47 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have a question:

I have 3 computers - an old one and two newer ones. They all have pictures on them.

I used to use Picasa and loved it - of course it was phased out.

If I were to croak tomorrow (or today), no one would know of the years and years of photos I have stored on my computer. I do have an external drive which I have copied everything to, but I have no idea what to do with the photos - I couldn't possibly print all of them out, but they are all worthy of being printed out. What do people do these days with family photos?
Someone mentioned using Costco. I checked. Prints start at 17 cents each. Start.

1000 pics? $170.00 10000? Yikes!

I spent two winters scanning pictures, documents, etc to CDs. Sent them to over 20 family members. Of course I already had a legal size scanner, and plenty of time. Used CDs that I could print to and did a collage of pics for the front.

To my knowledge they are all sitting in the back of a drawer and haven't been looked at in years. Why bother?

Old 12-23-2017, 11:57 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Someone mentioned using Costco. I checked. Prints start at 17 cents each. Start.

I spent two winters scanning pictures, documents, etc to CDs. Sent them to over 20 family members. Of course I already had a legal size scanner, and plenty of time. Used CDs that I could print to and did a collage of pics for the front.

To my knowledge they are all sitting in the back of a drawer and haven't been looked at in years. Why bother?
yea - unless they are vintage black and white or of some rarely seen relative, pictures nowadays just sit there. I remember the days when we used to look through photo albums.

I cringe when I see a facebook post about people losing their phone and wah it had all their first kids baby pics on it. - So were they that important??

We are also very careful with what we post on the Internet. No pictures of us. None. My real name? No way. Using the cloud as storage? Not going to happen except in very limited ways. Like here. I have photos saved to CD. None show us, or our friends. Even on FB there are only pics of objects, and I just removed them all last week because I figure that anyone we know that would be interested have seen them. No reason to leave them there. They're still floating around somewhere since anything that you post on the Internet is there forever - I still get inquires for a business I shut down seven years ago half way across the country.

Let others post pictures of them, their siblings, their children (stupid). Me? I'll pass. What I look like is none of your business

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
When such things happen, it is not uncommon for the authorities to ask for people to provide their vacation photos. Given that there are also cold cases, such requests may come again years later.
My digital photography archive was instrumental in one episode a couple of years ago. I store my photos on two identical disc drives, (two backups, one 'off site'), sorted into folders by year, quarter, month, and date with a brief description of the venue as part of the folder name.

My beloved Japanese Chin "escaped" from the back yard one day while I was at work. Couldn't find him anywhere until a neighbor mentioned that he had been picked up by the pound. Went to fetch him and the pound would not let me have him because unknown to me, he was chipped and the chip was still in the old owner's name, (I got Pepe from a pet store rescue).

To establish ownership, I went back through my photo archive and printed out many photos of Pepe over the years to show the pound that indeed, Pepe was part of the family. Since files have the creation date as part of the EXIF data, it was easy to document my ownership over the years since he first came home with me. It took a day for management to approve my claim and I able to bring Pepe home and re-registered the chip in my name.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-23-2017, 12:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:

Many people save far more crap than they should. Probably 9k of those 10k pics are blurry lousy shots that should be deleted. I'm often guilty of being a digital hoarder myself. Lately I have been paring things down.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Many people save far more crap than they should. Probably 9k of those 10k pics are blurry lousy shots that should be deleted. I'm often guilty of being a digital hoarder myself. Lately I have been paring things down.
You and me both. I routinely go through photos and delete some. I have to be careful because ones I think we don't need may be ones my wife wants. Next step: Pick a day and sit down together for a "delete it!" party.

Hmmmm. Margaritas sound right for that party.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
I love all the information that's out there but that usually means manufacturers, etc. are that much lazier and you're lucky to even get a link to documentation. Sure, you can search and find stuff but sometimes if you don't ask the right question in exactly the right way you won't find what you need. And sometimes you don't even know the right question to ask so technology is wonderful when it's wonderful and terrible when it's not.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:51 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
You and me both. I routinely go through photos and delete some. I have to be careful because ones I think we don't need may be ones my wife wants. Next step: Pick a day and sit down together for a "delete it!" party.

Hmmmm. Margaritas sound right for that party.
I take underwater gopro video. Even being judicious, a typical vacay results in 100 videos for 30-50Gb. I used to keep everything. Now I make a quick pass and delete the crap, tag them with metadata, then later pull the best couple dozen clips and delete the originals. Margaritas go very well with this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement