Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 10:02 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have a question:

I have 3 computers - an old one and two newer ones. They all have pictures on them.

I used to use Picasa and loved it - of course it was phased out.

If I were to croak tomorrow (or today), no one would know of the years and years of photos I have stored on my computer. I do have an external drive which I have copied everything to, but I have no idea what to do with the photos - I couldn't possibly print all of them out, but they are all worthy of being printed out. What do people do these days with family photos?
One, I think Picasa is still in use. I used that for organizing pics because it had facial recognition. But then Lightroom FINALLY got facial rec, all was right in the world All my pics are backups on an external drive, organized by year and event.

I have over 10K, if my husband and I pass, who is going to WANT them? So I have started going back and deleting a lot, don't need 7 pics of train engine in AK with my late husband and so forth.

you should condense and organize all pics to one external drive to make it easier, then pare them down and organize them. Let the kids or whoever know where they are located.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

I'm a techie nerd, and I do not trust that any digital media is going to last. I hope I'm wrong, because there's so much wealth of digital photos/history/folklore which now exists only on digital media.
I have back-ups of by back-ups.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sign up for a free Dropbox and/or OneDrive account. Each offers you 5Gb free storage. How much storage do you need for all of your photos? Google and Amazon also offer similar options.
I have 3 TB of pics and movies.

I am not comfortable using the Cloud as my only back-up.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
One, I think Picasa is still in use. I used that for organizing pics because it had facial recognition. But then Lightroom FINALLY got facial rec, all was right in the world All my pics are backups on an external drive, organized by year and event.

I have over 10K, if my husband and I pass, who is going to WANT them? So I have started going back and deleting a lot, don't need 7 pics of train engine in AK with my late husband and so forth.

you should condense and organize all pics to one external drive to make it easier, then pare them down and organize them. Let the kids or whoever know where they are located.
Maybe they will want those pictures for terrain recognition when they find out that your family had a lost buried treasure of gold doubloons on the land of the ancestors.

At the very least, with high speed computers and improved software, 10K of picture data won't be such a hardship for future generations, whatever they are of or whatever the reason, that they are now.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Depends on what is on the digital photo, doesn't it? After all, how many of us are photographing our "records" these days?

It is, of course, more than that. None of my manuscripts, be it fiction or academic, would find their place in the Cloud. While the author world may be dying, I certainly would want for no other to make money off my ideas, so I am not going to put it "out there" where I know nothing of its security. After all, how many news reports do we get of our names and ssn's being released?
Whatever floats your boat. How many news stories are there of people getting their houses robbed? You can be "armed to the teeth" but does you little good if caught sleeping, off guard, or away from home.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Maybe they will want those pictures for terrain recognition when they find out that your family had a lost buried treasure of gold doubloons on the land of the ancestors.

At the very least, with high speed computers and improved software, 10K of picture data won't be such a hardship for future generations, whatever they are of or whatever the reason, that they are now.
That's the number of pics - it's a few TB in size. That will do nothing but grow.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Whatever floats your boat. How many news stories are there of people getting their houses robbed? You can be "armed to the teeth" but does you little good if caught sleeping, off guard, or away from home.
Or in my sister's case (and quite few in CA) razed to the ground by fire with 5 minutes warning.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:04 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Is it?

I consider the Cloud the worst security notion I've seen since the Great Depression. Summing up the issue, one owns something but they don't have it in their hot little hand. So when it really comes down to it, how do they know they own anything?
The cloud is just a backup. I'm not worried about a hacker seeing my pictures.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:19 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's the number of pics - it's a few TB in size. That will do nothing but grow.
I thought so for 10K in size is nothing.

As it is, 10K in number is nothing as well, by the way I take pictures.

From that angle, one can really get into frustration with our technology because then there is a reason to keep pictures forever. Remember https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disapp...deleine_McCann ?

When such things happen, it is not uncommon for the authorities to ask for people to provide their vacation photos. Given that there are also cold cases, such requests may come again years later.

Now, of course, pictures of the family inside the house at Christmas? Not very likely....unless that painting on the wall behind Uncle Fudd was really a lost Van Gogh.

Pictures taken at festival, well, maybe.......

............maybe again.

I have commented before I use pictures off the Net to reflect my thoughts in my diaries such as of barrel racers or Dallas CB CLs when I talk about "cowgirl mentality". On one of the drives where past pics are stored, they number 14.2 G, 154,542 Files, 15,785 Folders ....... but I have not sorted, updated that drive for months (lots of daily files around with at least 9 pictures in them).

The thing is that reasons exist, time to time, to have such things. In the case of the diary pictures, it was at first that I did not understand satellite internet and data quotas. Now with the end of net neutrality, there is a reason justifying such a file again.

Our technology can be so great that time after time, we can find reasons, good reasons, to keep what we once took. In the early 90s I read, reviewed, a paper about lunar and martian sensor probes that used lasers and photographs and that with our improved technology then, we could "go back" to the landing by recreating it and achieve new information that we did not have before.

I guess we knew more of what to look for. We can now actually read those thousand words.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:33 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,947,134 times
Quote:
Depends on what is on the digital photo, doesn't it? After all, how many of us are photographing our "records" these days?... Let the young ones think that the Cloud is great........but I would think us older ones would at least take a minute to know better. ... But should it be?

Let's take the ranch house for example............and city-data.

Anyone reading city-data will know that I live alone, am a woman, and am armed to the teeth.

GEEE, WOULDN'T TAMARA'S HOUSE BE A GREAT PLACE TO KNOCK OVER?.
I do "know better" -- 40+ years in high-tech professions, and an MS in computer science. We all have to make personal decisions on how to balance convenience and security, and how best to implement safety strategies for the internet. Claiming that the cloud is categorically unsafe is your choice, but people who have made careers in high-tech fields including myself strongly disagree. I don't put personal identification in the cloud unless it's secure. And bad actors can steal your information or track you down if they want to, even if you're not logging into the internet at all.

Parents I know won't post pictures of children. You have a reason to not post pictures of your house, others don't. That's all fine. There's no such thing as 100% safety but the cloud has its place and can be used safely with a little common sense. If someone wants to be as safe as possible using the internet, don't use the internet. Even if you don't use cloud storage, companies like Amazon and Facebook are storing your cookie data and using it for tracking you around the internet - which you can't get away from even if you delete your browser cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement