Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I tried to download some professional journals while at my one night of work during this holiday period. At work, my internet access is free and quick and I wanted to take them home on a thumb drive to read.

NOPE! Got to read them on their site, using up precious download allowance at home (have to see about doing it during off hours).
That's a reflection of your journals not the cloud. Plenty of cloud/streaming services allow caching for offline use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 01:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
Swiping for several different apps is a thing you know. I seriously doubt any younger person views that as some kind of "issue". Just because you can't figure something very obvious out doesn't make it a "design flaw".
Wrong. I've been in the computer business for over 30 years. Saying that swiping is something you just know is arrogant at least. You seem to have forgotten what forum you're posting in.

Quote:
I seriously doubt any younger person views that as some kind of "issue".
You said it yourself.

And the person you responded to said nothing about a design flaw.

I'm guessing your either 20 years old or feel the need to put down others to make yourself feel better.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:56 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Why would a 20 year old be on the Retirement forum? (he asked, facetiously ...)

Old 12-25-2017, 06:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Why would a 20 year old be on the Retirement forum? (he asked, facetiously ...)
I'm far from 20 but not yet retired or subscribed to this forum. There's an area on the right hand side (on my screen) that shows a handful of "Active threads from around the forum". Sometimes a title will be interesting and I click on it, whether or not I'm interested in the forum overall.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm far from 20 but not yet retired or subscribed to this forum. There's an area on the right hand side (on my screen) that shows a handful of "Active threads from around the forum". Sometimes a title will be interesting and I click on it, whether or not I'm interested in the forum overall.
The reference was re este914, not you.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:20 PM

Frustration. Disgust. Tired of stupid computer manufacturers.

Over the last couple of years we've had to replace both our laptops. I bought a Dell, and she bought an HP. The Dell was a first as we have always bought HP/Compaq. Usually because we get the best deal for the features we want.

We decided to replace the SSD drive in each because the standard is pretty small. Got them ordered - they take the same drive - and I did the Dell first.

Getting into the Dell took the removal of one screw and a full size cover that slides into a number of slots at the opposite side of the screw. Lift it up a bit and slide forward. Done.

The HP required the removal of 14 screws of various sizes, then the case had to be pried off using a spudge because there are "clips all the way around it. Even after that was done I had to figure out what was holding it together and discovered there were two more clips in the center of the unit. Those came loose with some careful pulling. I then discovered that the hard drive (ours have two, an SSD for booting and a 1TB HD for data) doesn't have any screws holding it in place, just the pressure from the case I removed. I'm not sure if I approve or not, it's just unusual.

And after I got the new SSD cloned and installed the entire process was reversed.

At a guess HP is hoping that the average user will be afraid to open it because of the difficulty.

Spudges are plastic pry bars that don't damage the case when prying it open. Used for phones, tablets, HP computers, etc.

Spudges; I used the "round" type. Really makes getting these cases open a lot easier than without one.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:55 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times
Some may be interested in creating a login at the Tech-Enhanced Life, targeted at older adults and their families: product reviews, discussions, tools, and articles on various tech-related topics of interest. Free membership and free to look around on the site.

https://www.techenhancedlife.com

Here for example is a review of medical alert systems on the site:

https://www.techenhancedlife.com/ana...t-systems-help

Old 12-26-2017, 04:15 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
First off, your biggest issue is buying an icrap in the first place. Android is WAYYY better in every way. That being said, while it is true that updates due slow down it's not due to some conspiracy theory Apple is doing it to get you to buy a new one:

But anyway, if you want a quality phone go Android!
Been there, done that. I got tired of these "better" phones becoming obsolete before the 2 year contract is over. Went with an iPhone and have not turned back. There is little I miss that I had with Android. It was hard to adjust to the iPhone way of doing things, but once I got accustomed to it, I have had no trouble. I did learn the hard way, though, that it is a good idea to have your battery replaced after two years. If it fails it can expand and take out the display with it. Replacing the battery is the only advantage to Android phones (that let the user do it).

Old 12-26-2017, 07:03 PM

Have a lot of people to talk to about phones and I have come to the conclusion it doesn't matter. They all use what they are comfortable with. Some have switched Android to iPhone and vice-versa.

I think it's not the phone, it's what people like about the phone.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:13 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
I really don't use much of what is categorized as technology today. Then again, I have no interest in it. Especially if it costs money.

This laptop was a present. My daughter gave me her old flip phone, so I dropped ATT and use it instead, saved a good bit from that.

We live very much as my grandparents did, my daughter (who has the latest whatever gadgets made) say our lifestyle is one of where time forgot. Even the street we live on is more Mayberry like than anything else.

So essentially, we live a life of 50-75 years ago. By choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement