Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 01:59 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
More nonsense.

You do NOT have to update your OS. If your current device cannot run the new OS then don't update to the new OS.
I'm still running Windows 98 - what could possibly go wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 02:38 PM

51 posts, read 40,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just hearing about the apple issue with "slowing down" iphones. You can all have it, I don't need more frustrations with all this tech stuff. This is on radio with a lot of call in people with their experiences. I have enough issues with desktop and changing my vtech desk portable phones. Just installed a newer one. I know I'm in the major minority but I'm less stressed and connected ENOUGH.
First off, your biggest issue is buying an icrap in the first place. Android is WAYYY better in every way. That being said, while it is true that updates due slow down it's not due to some conspiracy theory Apple is doing it to get you to buy a new one:

Apple: Yes, we're slowing down older iPhones - Dec. 21, 2017

Quote:
The tech giant issued a rare statement of explanation on Thursday, saying that it has used software updates to limit the performance of older iPhones that may have battery issues that would cause them to turn off suddenly.

Tech analysts and angry customers have reported in recent days that operating system updates had caused older iPhones to slow considerably, with some suggesting that Apple could be using the tactic to encourage fans to buy new phones.

Apple insists the updates were made with a different goal in mind: It said the performance of lithium-ion batteries degrades over time, which can sometimes cause phones to suddenly shut down in order to protect their components.
Makes a lot more sense. But anyway, if you want a quality phone go Android!

Old 12-22-2017, 03:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I'm still running Windows 98 - what could possibly go wrong?
So long as you don't add new hardware and software. What is not reasonable is to think any hardware or software manufacturer offers you lifetime support and guaranteed compatibility with anything that that isnot current. When you start mixing old and new technology is when you will have big problems.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:42 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
And also so long as I don't use the Internet for ANYTHING, lest I get a raft of viruses.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
And also so long as I don't use the Internet for ANYTHING, lest I get a raft of viruses.
Actually, you're probably safer. Nobody is writing viruses for Windows 98. Anyone running W98 is not likely to have anything worth hacking into.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:54 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
I have a degree in IT and worked in the field way back when . . . (the degree was antiquated before the ink was dry on the diploma).

I realize that there are so many things I do not know today, that I would probably like to know if I was aware of them.

I was also thinking recently about luddites - people who have no use for technology, and seem to be afraid of it. I have an older brother like this. I try to convince him to get a laptop, but no, too scary!

He called asking me for info recently and I texted it to him. When we spoke on the phone, he said he didn't get the text - he got it - he just doesn't know he got it. THAT frustrates me - that some people are adverse to technology.

I am happy they are teaching kids how to code in school these days.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:58 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
I have a question:

I have 3 computers - an old one and two newer ones. They all have pictures on them.

I used to use Picasa and loved it - of course it was phased out.

If I were to croak tomorrow (or today), no one would know of the years and years of photos I have stored on my computer. I do have an external drive which I have copied everything to, but I have no idea what to do with the photos - I couldn't possibly print all of them out, but they are all worthy of being printed out. What do people do these days with family photos?

Old 12-22-2017, 08:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
When I'm gone I can't worry about that. Most of my family is gone and my daughter and her growing children I don't know how much they care about my past. I have photo albums and when I'm gone so are they. Everyone is scattered that are left and they all their own mounds of pictures as well.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:43 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Technology is like toilet paper. I only use what I need and keep it as basic as I desire.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have a question:

I have 3 computers - an old one and two newer ones. They all have pictures on them.

I used to use Picasa and loved it - of course it was phased out.

If I were to croak tomorrow (or today), no one would know of the years and years of photos I have stored on my computer. I do have an external drive which I have copied everything to, but I have no idea what to do with the photos - I couldn't possibly print all of them out, but they are all worthy of being printed out. What do people do these days with family photos?
Estimate the total size and get a usb flash drive. You can get a 128Gb flash drive for about $30. That will hold an enormous number of photos. Put them on that, label it, and keep it in a safe place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement