Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 09:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Today's technology would probably be more useful if we had access to the internet.

Last week in developing . poor countries (No problem getting connections). USA = Big problem in my 3 locations (only 15 miles to population centers, but no internet / no cable / no DSL / no satellite dishes allowed in one of the locations)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 10:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have a question:

I have 3 computers - an old one and two newer ones. They all have pictures on them.

I used to use Picasa and loved it - of course it was phased out.

If I were to croak tomorrow (or today), no one would know of the years and years of photos I have stored on my computer. I do have an external drive which I have copied everything to, but I have no idea what to do with the photos - I couldn't possibly print all of them out, but they are all worthy of being printed out. What do people do these days with family photos?
Store them in the cloud.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:33 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Today's technology would probably be more useful if we had access to the internet.

Last week in developing . poor countries (No problem getting connections). USA = Big problem in my 3 locations (only 15 miles to population centers, but no internet / no cable / no DSL / no satellite dishes allowed in one of the locations)
My last HOA had a no satellite in plain view rule. Until I showed them that FCC regulation that prohibits such rules if there is no other location that will work. They got rid of that rule soon after I brought it to their attention. Bottom line...any entity that bans satellite dishes is in violation of federal law.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:12 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
Quote:
I have a question:

I have 3 computers - an old one and two newer ones. They all have pictures on them.

I used to use Picasa and loved it - of course it was phased out.

If I were to croak tomorrow (or today), no one would know of the years and years of photos I have stored on my computer. I do have an external drive which I have copied everything to, but I have no idea what to do with the photos - I couldn't possibly print all of them out, but they are all worthy of being printed out. What do people do these days with family photos?
My sisters have prints of my mother's childhood photographs! There's some serious family history there! Photos are worth saving for posterity.

If I had digital photographs that I wanted to last forever, I would go to Costco and print them out (seems to do a good enough job at a reasonable enough cost). I would also try to make the digital originals available to my descendants - just to cover all the bases.

I'm a techie nerd, and I do not trust that any digital media is going to last. I hope I'm wrong, because there's so much wealth of digital photos/history/folklore which now exists only on digital media.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:15 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
My sisters have prints of my mother's childhood photographs! There's some serious family history there! Photos are worth saving for posterity.

If I had digital photographs that I wanted to last forever, I would go to Costco and print them out (seems to do a good enough job at a reasonable enough cost). I would also try to make the digital originals available to my descendants - just to cover all the bases.

I'm a techie nerd, and I do not trust that any digital media is going to last. I hope I'm wrong, because there's so much wealth of digital photos/history/folklore which now exists only on digital media.
What do you mean you'd go to Costco and print them out?

I need exact instructions!

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:16 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Store them in the cloud.
I haven't put anything on the Cloud, but this is probably a great idea.

How exactly would I do that? (Is there a way to export everything rapido?)

Old 12-23-2017, 05:07 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
What do you mean you'd go to Costco and print them out?

I need exact instructions!.
No need to make a trip to Costco. Just go to their website and upload the pics from your computer to be printed. Then the next day you can go pickup.

https://www.costcophotocenter.com/Prints

Old 12-23-2017, 05:08 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Actually, you're probably safer. Nobody is writing viruses for Windows 98. Anyone running W98 is not likely to have anything worth hacking into.
So eventually XP users can hop back onto the Internet again?

Old 12-23-2017, 05:54 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
...... Photos are worth saving for posterity.

That may be true but many families have shoeboxes of old photos that end up in the garbage. Instead of keeping piles of bad photos, we have been selecting some of the best and making photo books. We make copies for our kids and sometimes other relatives. I think they will survive for at least a couple of generations.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:58 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
So eventually XP users can hop back onto the Internet again?
Probably not for long. Internet browsers such as Chrome require Windows 7 or later. More and more I see that I will need to upgrade my browser. I keep getting warnings that the internet content cannot be displayed with my old IE browser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement