Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Folks, I got shingles a few months ago. Thankfully, I recognized it for what it was quickly, but only because I had seen my dad get it and recognized the symptoms myself. I got to the doctor as quickly as possible and we were able to nearly stop it in it's tracks. I had discomfort and was on meds for about a week or ten days but it was all gone in less than two weeks. I feel lucky.

Also, I got it on my trunk, not my head or face. I've heard that the head/face type is much more painful and difficult to get rid of. That being said, my dad got his on his head, got to the doc immediately and his was resolved quickly too. I think the key is getting the meds within three days of symptoms showing up. That's what my doctor said to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:16 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My family seems to be really susceptible to viral things like shingles, cold sores etc. But I never get bacterial infections from cuts etc. So I think it may be somewhat personal, your own immune system. How it handles stress etc.

More importantly if you never had chicken pox or have no exposure to anyone with shingles its pretty unlikely that you have any risk. However you can get chicken pox as an adult and you can apparently get checken pox from direct contact with someone in a shingles outbreak.

If you have never had chicken pox you might want to get vaccinated.
I know one person who went thru shingles. And I'm on this earth 79 yrs and have known plenty of people over my life.

My mother who passed at 91 had cold sores and once I got her taking Grape Seed Ex at age 85, that's how old she was when I found it for myself. Her cold sores were gone from there on.

Everyone would be 100% healthier taking grape seed ex, powerful antioxidant.

I'm taking it 22 yrs and did have chicken pox moons ago.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I certainly don't want it and I don't envy people that have had it. It's just my personal observation that I've never known anyone that has had shingles and I'm certain I've had chicken pox as a child. Most of my relatives have lived into their 80s and 90s and my grandmother to 103. No one has ever had shingles. I must be living in a shingle free bubble. I have no other explanation.

For most of you, do you know that 1 out of every 3 people in your lives has had shingles? It sounds like a severe epidemic.
A lot of fear mongering on these groups, Keep Your Immune System STRONG and I too only know one person in my life who had shingles...she deals with other health issues too that weaken her immune system. I have told her about grape seed ex but she can't take it due to colitis she deals with.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:46 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
So I assume this new vaccine is better than the Singles shot I got two years ago? Can you have it after previously having a shot?

Old 01-06-2018, 11:05 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
I don't really understand this shingles epidemic that seems to be happening. Personally, that I know of, I'm not aware of one person that I know of that has had shingles. Also, I don't know of even one relative of mine that has had it, ever. Not 40 years ago or last year. Should I still be concerned?
My mother got shingles in her eye soon after my father died. She was in an ALF and had to be quarantined for a couple of weeks because people who had never had chicken pox could get that from her. If you never had chicken pox, you won't get shingles.

Mom got treated promptly and recovered completely.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Mom got treated promptly and recovered completely.
I think getting treated promptly is the key to a quick recovery. If you take some sort of meds within 72 hours of symptoms starting, the meds are super effective from what I understand. After that window of opportunity, things can drag on for weeks or even months from what I hear.

I am a very strong person mentally, emotionally and physically. I eat a very healthy diet and take some vitamins and supplements. I am rarely sick. However, I had a lot of stress for awhile this past year - my dad died and my mom has dementia and suddenly I was her caregiver and basically the executor of my dad's estate and also had to sell property in two states - OMG, I was stressed to the max.

And that's when I came down with shingles. I do think that stress can precipitate an attack. My dad also got it a few months before he died - and he was also stressed to the max when it hit him.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:17 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
I never said it was data. I was simply stating my personal observations over the last 50 years. There's no need to get your panties in a bunch.
You reported your personal anecdotal observations and then questioned whether there really was a shingles epidemic with which you should be concerned because you personally didn't know anyone who had contracted it.

No, you never used the word "data," you simply drew a ridiculous conclusion based on your personal observations. I thought I was being relatively kind in my initial response, but I see I wasted my time.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Lysine, keep it in your body for this virus. Read info on it. Learn to deal better with stresses.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:48 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
Quote:
I don't really understand this shingles epidemic that seems to be happening. Personally, that I know of, I'm not aware of one person that I know of that has had shingles. Also, I don't know of even one relative of mine that has had it, ever. Not 40 years ago or last year. Should I still be concerned?
That's because most people don't go around blabbing about it like I just did. Be concerned, very concerned!

Old 01-06-2018, 01:52 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Some apps also are a major cause of smartphone batteries running down fast. They get into a mode that forces the phone to perform some data gathering task over and over.

I have a dumb pre-paid plan smartphone, meaning it is a $50 Samsung and I don't have a data plan for it. I use it mainly as a phone for voice or text communications. If I am in a place with WiFi, I can turn on WiFi and open a web browser page and use the internet or access email. I don't have hardly any active apps on this phone, so the apps don't keep cycling on and run down the battery.

Your smartphone will allow you to look at the power usage of each app so you can see which ones are burning up all the battery power. My dumb smartphone with all the apps shut off can go 4+ days without needed a re-charge, and my battery is just a few months old.
Great info, as I have the pre-paid Samsung smartphone. I need to figure out how to look at the power usage for each app I guess? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement