Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:41 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times

Advertisements

Not only NO but HELL NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 01:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Do you miss working?
Never have been a day without 'working' (farm kid)
Employment? I miss:
1) Direct Deposit
2) Paid Vacations
3) Free donuts and beer busts (and steaks)
4) Free (Nice) recreation sites around the world
5) Being paid to travel
6) Free high tech design software and access to $millions of machine tools and 3D printers (Since 1990's) to make personal projects
7) Innovation
8) Info Sharing (investments) from some very top-knotch coworkers (We met at lunch and traded ideas) we often had higher earnings in our 401k's than our annual wages

so... no, I haven't stopped 'working', and hope I never do! (or am unable)... Cows need fed, firewood needs cut, Neighbors need help...

(missing) Employment... yes and no
Never had an alarm clock so won't miss that.

I wish I could learn and perform several more careers!
Love to volunteer (and that usually involves 'working')

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Have any of you had a burning desire to go on an interview and answer some idiot's asinine questions, just for the hell of it? What about proofing cover letters and formatting your resume? Or do you miss bugging old references when you are looking for a job?
Never had to do this
What about the gossipers and unpleasant supervisors? Does anyone miss them? (I only found these on "Day Shift", so... I didn't waste my daylight hours... working day shift 'off-shift' workers have far more important things to do in life than W-O-R-K (secondary), thus there is not the intensity / dog-eat-dog' )

I'm just curious, because I know some people claim to love working. I just haven't figured out why.
Many LOVE to work, cuz they know nothing different / better (these are often caustic persons who could not establish a relationship / purpose outside of work.. but some LOVE to work! Great!)
Quote:
For the people who say they'll miss the people they work with, .. How can you miss someone that you don't trust? SAD for your working exposure. My Company had COMPLETE trust in ALL employees and treated us as such - No time clocks / flex hours / vast responsibilities (without oversight). Snakes did not survive in this environment.

...the people I share an office with who are just a step above strangers. Work friends became dear friends (tho we seldom socialized, we shared lots of interests, helped each other build homes / care for kids / build personal inventions, much hiking / hunting / and mostly technical volunteering (for crisis such as disaster relief), retired... I traveled this weekend and met with over 10 ex-coworkers in various settings, we had a great time together and absolutely no complaints / jokes / rumors / disdain for our other coworkers or employer

Old 01-17-2018, 01:38 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I can honestly say that I miss the work I did. It was interesting, challenging, and 'useful to society'. I had pleasant co-workers, supportive management, and was well compensated. (I worked at a NASA center controlling several instruments on earth orbiting environmental satellites, among other things. I also taught at the local community college in the evenings.)

What finally drove me to retire was the horrific commute, (I was not willing to live closer).
What drove me out was Government Regulation and Intervention. And so I agree that I miss the work that I did, too. I went from a useful position that helped people to a paper pusher and regulation manager. I ended up in endless meetings, and serving as the compliance officer in the meetings. It was nothing like the early years from 1971 to 2001.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:42 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Tons of community volunteer opportunities around.
You’ll find that they’ll only give you the jobs that the lowest of unskilled labor can do, even if your skills are actually higher than anyone else in the organization. After awhile you’ll feel “used†and you won;t even be able to say: “ But I get good money to be usedâ€, because you won’t.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
I don't mind being "used", up to a point that is. It's the time in my life when I need to start giving back to society. Best thing about volunteer work is that you can always quit without any personal negative ramifications.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
I am sick and in bed and don't have to worry about what is going on in the office with drawers full of work and a boss that wants me to come in sick. So no I don't miss work at all.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:03 PM

85 posts, read 79,789 times
Oh my goodness NO NO NO a resounding NO !

Old 01-17-2018, 02:22 PM

60 posts, read 41,735 times
I've missed it with every shot so far?

Old 01-17-2018, 03:47 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Be honest.
No I do not. I've been retired for almost a month (12/23) and so far I don't even think of my former office mates or duties. I sometimes feel like perhaps I should be more productive or something. I am selling my professional clothing on ebay so I have had some pin money coming in. Hopefully my fed pension will be coming in soon and so will Social Security.

I do not miss getting up at 0515 and rushing around to leave at 0630, to do meaningless, boring work.

I DO love sleeping in until 8 or 830 and being home and free to do as I please.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:49 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Not just no but Hell No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement