Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 06:50 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Even though I've never spoke Spanish in my entire life, since retirement, manana has become a common utterance whenever there's a chore to be done.
I agree 100%. The longer I have been retired, the more things I find that I want to do and the less time I have for chores. Fortunately I have found some ways of simplifying doing laundry and some other chores. Even so a lot of them just get postponed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 06:53 AM

535 posts, read 343,585 times
I am semi retired. I am a part-time English language teacher. I teach the English language and Citizenship. I am a wife to my husband, and support him in every way. I love to watch TV at night and exercise. I keep busy with my husband, son, daughter, and friends. I love to travel.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:17 AM

274 posts, read 326,897 times
OP. In many ways we are the same. I get where you are coming from. As a scientist, I will soon be telling people "I'm a retired scientist", because losing that label would cut to the bone. It's one of the few things I hate the thought of. But I'm having to retire earlier than planned for health reasons. Perhaps you just shouldn't retire? Keep working if you can! People where I work have gone on working full time well into their 70's.

We are rather socially quiet people also, so no to the big retirement community with event planner. But we do have hobbies. I'm not artistic either. No one would want my paintings! LOL. I like outdoor activities though, and will continue hiking/biking/kayaking new trails as long as possible. Moving to a new place will provide a whole new territory to explore. New towns to visit, new stores, new restaurants, new parks and waterways. This will keep us busy for quite a while. A new yard to garden. A new house (well an old house!) to remodel.

A new dog will be my company while DH keeps working. It's a pretty simple plan.

Best Wishes on Whatever you choose!

Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
OP. In many ways we are the same. I get where you are coming from. As a scientist, I will soon be telling people "I'm a retired scientist", because losing that label would cut to the bone. It's one of the few things I hate the thought of. But I'm having to retire earlier than planned for health reasons. Perhaps you just shouldn't retire? .......!
I suggest you reconsider your identity in retirement. I had a career in the sciences, but I have moved on. I am not a retired scientist. I travel, do photography, paint and have other interests that define my life...in the present and in the future.

You might also consider that what you do in the future is limitless. You were not born with a knowledge of science. You learned including learning to see the world as a scientist. You can learn to play music and/or compose, or to paint. Whatever you do in the future will be better than trying to live in the past.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:38 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times
I am me, and I don't need to wear a label

I enjoy crafts, I love reading books, I am trying to write a novel. I've joined a writing group, the town's Friends group and the library's Friends group. I'm an online cribbage tournament director. So I don't have a specific identity as I am many things to many people

Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
What is your retired person "identity"?

Broken

Old 03-02-2018, 12:30 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Old Fart

Old 03-02-2018, 12:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What is your retired person "identity"?

Broken

No Jim. Not broken. Smarter.

I've had painful lessons, too. So you get back on that horse and keep riding.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:00 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,959 times
I have been retired for fourteen years, and have found that , as time has gone on, I'm usually happiest when there are days when I don't have planned activities.

I taught courses in Life Long Learning classes for four years when I first retired, enjoyed it, but have no interest in continuing to do it. I do facilitate two monthly writing critique groups, which evolved out of those classes, and I find that these keep me writing and interested. I go to a book group usually once a month, as well as an informal lunch/discussion group monthly. There are lunches with friends, time with the Significant Other, and these seem to be enough. I was never a high energy person and have no need to have something constantly on the agenda. Anything more than two special activities a week makes me somewhat nervous. I read a lot, and write on a fairly regular basis, but these are activities I've always pursued. I have become more interested in genealogy, and do some research from time to time. I never chose to have children, and can't say I've ever missed that connection or the grandchild connection.

It's probably fair to say that I've become more of an introvert as I've aged although I'm not reclusive, and can function as an extrovert as needed. I don't assign any labels to myself; I generally do what I've always done- reading, writing, conversing, reflecting. I realize it would not be everyone's choice, but it seems to suit me.

Catsy

Old 03-02-2018, 01:13 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I know there are many types, such as "artistic explorer", "hobbyist", "hands-on grandparent", "still working", and many more, and I am curious about how you now identify yourself other than as just 'retired'.

I am now 64 and fast approaching my final stage of life (barring, I hope, a stay in an ALF!), and it occurs to me that I am not sure how well I am handling -- or will handle -- my retirement as far as my attitude, lifestyle, etc. I have had no real role models, and I am basically clueless as to how I should approach being in my 70's and 80's, assuming that I am in good health and have enough money.

When I was younger, I was too busy just living and trying to survive -- working, paying my bills, etc. -- that I just never stopped to really think about retirement except as some vague notion as far as living in a pretty spot with my husband with occasional dinners out or sightseeing trips. When I was a kid, I just thought I would end up as a kindly grandmother who provided cookies, babysitting and holiday dinners -- but that has not proven to be in my future. As my husband and I are both non-churchgoing introverts, I am envisioning basically living life as bored shut-ins, as we have no hobbies unless one considers cooking and reading "hobbies". Neither of us have ever been either the hobby or sports/physically-oriented type, as our jobs have been our focus for most of our lives.

So I guess I am asking is how did you find YOUR "retirement identify" and I am looking for advice as to how to find mind and not go crazy with boredom in the coming years!

Thanks!
No advice here but I amped up my bar life. Besides walking my dog everyday for 30 minutes, we bus it up to the local watering hole. Older men drinking, me with a double vodka and the owner allows me to bring in my Ripley? She and another dog are allowed because they are well behaved. Win win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement