Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 06:27 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
No Jim. Not broken. Smarter.

I've had painful lessons, too. So you get back on that horse and keep riding.
Thanks for that good advice NYGal!

Lets all hope for a better tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 06:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
One final note: Don't tell yourself you have no artistic or musical talent. You don't have to shoot for the Guggenheim or Carnegie Hall. The question is: Would I enjoy trying something like that? Do it for yourself, not for anyone else's judgment. It sounds as if money and health is no impediment to you at this time – start trying some new things and see what sticks.
So true. I am thinking of joining the art group in my senior center and all I can do is color in the coloring books they supply but that’s fun. The people who are really talented artists can do the real art.

In my play readers group all are welcome. Beginners with no experience are encouraged to join. Other activities are the same. The idea is for everyone to be able to take a chance at any opportunity at anything they may want to take a chance. Places like these are great for finding something new to do.

As far as identity, I would think it’s much better to identify yourself as who you are rather than what you do.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:45 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What is your retired person "identity"?

Broken

We need to get you moved - this sounds like depression. You'll find another spot - keep looking.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:38 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Old Lady Vegan DIYer Gardener Reader Crafter Library-Lovin Thrifty Lady with Issues?

I just am what I am and it changes all the time. I get up and do what needs to be done - or not. I go to the library a lot, look for free or cheap things to do, walk my dog, garden, decorate my apartment, organize my apartment, cook, listen to NPR, watch the news, just signed up for a twitter account and I twitter my favorite politicians.

For instance today, dinked around on the internet, cooked, figured out which shelving unit I want to buy for my hobby room (aka bedroom in my 1 bedroom apartment that I don't sleep in, but will turn into a garden/hobby/craft/workbench space).

I made a pot of rice, am soaking garbanzo beans to make my own hummus from. Sliced up and froze some bread. Moved some plants around on my balcony because we're supposed to get a big rain storm. Did some reading. Walked my dog.

If you actually think about all of the things that you had to do in addition to working, you won't be left with nothing to do. You'll just have more time to do them all.

Oh yeah, and I called the library to ask about volunteering for their ESL conversational English club, so I can help people who want to improve their conversational English. I have a hard time finding the perfect volunteer situation for me, as I don't like group politics, but I keep reaching out to try different ones until/if/in case one finally sticks.

When my new shelves come, I'm going to buy a grow light and grow my own greens in my hobby room, as well as some flowers and maybe some herbs.

Anyway, you just first, do your household chores in a more leisurely manner, and then think of other projects you'd like to try. Surely, there must have been something in your mind that you always thought you'd like to try doing - if only you had the time.

And by the way, if all you end up doing is household chores and going for walks and reading, and you're happy - ain't nothin' wrong with that. I spend 99% of my time alone or with my dog, and 99% of the time I'm happy with that.
Sounds exactly right!

Old 03-02-2018, 11:46 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
I've been giving this a lot of thought lately as well. Pushing 66 hard, but not retired yet. However, I've been slowing down my appraisal business over the past year or so. Instead of promoting my business, I'm just taking orders from a few long time lender clients. I also get random referrals from brokers I've met over the years. Where I used to do 50-60 appraisals a month, now I maybe do 15 in a busy month. That amounts to less than 20 hours a week. With the new free time, I've been paying much more attention to diet & exercise. I also try to get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. I remember YEARS when I lived on 4-5. Other than that, I've been trying to reawaken interests that I never had the time for when working full time. I'm certainly not "there" yet, but I hope to be in the next 3 years. My license is up for renewal when I turn 69 and I've decided to pull the plug then. I'm happiest when I'm doing something, so I know I'll find some interesting things to do.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:41 PM

812 posts, read 795,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Old Lady Vegan DIYer Gardener Reader Crafter Library-Lovin Thrifty Lady with Issues?

Oh yeah, and I called the library to ask about volunteering for their ESL conversational English club, so I can help people who want to improve their conversational English. I have a hard time finding the perfect volunteer situation for me, as I don't like group politics, but I keep reaching out to try different ones until/if/in case one finally sticks.
This sounds like a good idea! In my experience, ESL students are very friendly, enthusiastic and fun to work with.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:18 PM

812 posts, read 795,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
First, I want to thank EVERYONE for "chiming" in, and providing so many great suggestions.

However, to answer your question, most of my interests are not active, but passive (history and politics, mostly).
If you like history, you could become a citizen archivist: https://www.archives.gov/citizen-archivist

Old 03-03-2018, 05:37 PM

712 posts, read 555,420 times
Hands on Grandma! I wouldn't trade my life for anything. My Grandson's truly light up my world. I am soaking up every moment while they are small. I am so blessed to be healthy enough to do this for my daughter. My oldest is in school but youngest is played with all the time. He is only 3 and knows his alphabet and can even type upper and lower case on my laptop, sends texts that crack everyone up (if I forget to delete who has texted me on my ipad they get replies, so far just laughter from my family) texts with an A followed by a picture of an apple and so forth. His intelligence is such fun.

Um so yup! My identity is being a, Grandma, Mom, wife, child of God owned by a little dachshund. I am also a low carber for 14 years and help with that on facebook

Old 03-03-2018, 07:36 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
I am not really "retired". More like spared from working in a role for money that I wanted out of years ago. So at 62 I took my SS money so I could gain the means to spend my time in other ways that don't include working for.anyone but myself, if that.
I always had lots of interests and am cultivating more everyday. I love to read, do a little writing, cook a little, walk and hike with my dogs, bicycle, ride a scooter on the back roads, blog and do photography, listen to music, play golf, watch old movies, and buy and sell items on Ebay and Craigslist.
I would like to take some photography classes, cooking classes, learn bass guitar, get back on acoustic guitar, do some car camping, join a hiking club, take some long bike trips, go to some music festivals, and just do some random road trips with my dogs and blog and do photo journals.
I am thinking of doing some part time gigs walking dogs, working with rescue groups, and doing some additional grooming classes and do that as a side at a local shop. I will always rescue dogs and cats and if I can get a few acres with a cabin or tiny house that would be awesome.
Stuff I do is not my identity. Never was. But if forced to label myself I would say "dog mom".

Old 03-04-2018, 05:43 AM

314 posts, read 238,531 times
Default ...living below my means...

A millionaire on holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement