Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Good. Someone will know how to make change.
The cash registers tells you how much change to give back. Have been for over 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Has it not occurred to you that some people enjoy meeting STRANGERS and putting a smile on their faces? That no matter how satisfying their “interpersonal relationships,” they consider more social interaction simply added enjoyment? The way you put it, a good personal social life is mutually exclusive with good workplace interactions. YIKES, I really appreciate that there are people who enjoy greeting other people, no matter how trivial the iteraction.
Um, sure. I love to socialize. But nobody has to work at a fast food restaurant to "get out and meet people." There are many other ways to do that.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:05 PM

515 posts, read 360,226 times
The thing that drives me to keep my current job and save every nickel is the local subway shop. They have an older woman working there, must be in her 70's. She is slow with the sandwiches, and has trouble with the cash register and coupons. The younger workers don't seem to have much patience with her, and I feel sorry for her. There is no way she would be doing it without needing the money. The thought of me having to do that for the money keeps me going and putting extra in my pension.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The cash registers tells you how much change to give back. Have been for over 20 years.

But they'll be able to "count it back." And I don't mean just count the change.

Anyone here who had a HS retail job in the '60s knows what I mean by "counting back" change.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 PM

Anybody with an average IQ can count back change. The only people I've seen struggle with it are recent immigrants who still don't grasp the currency system.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 AM

701 posts, read 694,196 times
I was on vacation and stopped at a fast food place. My bill was $16 and some change. There was something wrong with the register and it would not say how much change to give back. Noticing a confused look on the cashier's face, the manager came over and asked what was wrong. She said she did not know how much change to give back as the register did not tell her. This person was in high school.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:33 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
The thing that drives me to keep my current job and save every nickel is the local subway shop. They have an older woman working there, must be in her 70's. She is slow with the sandwiches, and has trouble with the cash register and coupons. The younger workers don't seem to have much patience with her, and I feel sorry for her. There is no way she would be doing it without needing the money. The thought of me having to do that for the money keeps me going and putting extra in my pension.

wow I wonder if it ever occurred to the younger workers if she is a widow whose mate died without life insurance ? or she has to work there to supplement her social security and to buy meds because medicare does not cover everything she needs to stay alive . Young people have no respect anymore and it sickens me it really does . It also sickens me that senior folks have to work fast food maybe because those are the only job opps open to them . I would not want to see my 70 plus year old mother working at one of these places and I would make darn sure she would never have too. Maybe she is also holding on to what little independence she has left . I wish her well and im glad she is doing what she is for her mental health as well .

Old 11-07-2018, 09:49 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
I was on vacation and stopped at a fast food place. My bill was $16 and some change. There was something wrong with the register and it would not say how much change to give back. Noticing a confused look on the cashier's face, the manager came over and asked what was wrong. She said she did not know how much change to give back as the register did not tell her. This person was in high school.
I found this in California at Whole Foods, the cashier didn’t know how to do 20% reduction, luckily she asked me outright and I told her. It’s better than pretend to make mistake doing her own calculation.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow I wonder if it ever occurred to the younger workers if she is a widow whose mate died without life insurance ? or she has to work there to supplement her social security and to buy meds because medicare does not cover everything she needs to stay alive . Young people have no respect anymore and it sickens me it really does ..
There are plenty of rude older people, too. Bashing young folks and being jealous of them won't help an older person with their life circumstances. Lots of people made poor financial decisions in their lifetime that led to working as a Wal Mart greeter in their 70s. It wasn't all health issues or medical bills. Even now I know people in their 50s without one dime saved for retirement. They seem to think someone will come along one day and rescue them.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:47 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone able to actually count back change in a loooong time. The register tells them how much I should get back and they tell me that amount. They don't know how to do the math to figure out if my bill is 15.75 and I give them a $20 bill, they should get 4.25 out of the drawer and say, "Your total was 15.75." Give me a quarter and say "16" and then count the one dollar bills into my hand as "17, 18, 19, 20." This concept is utterly lost on the recent generation.

When those registers go down or malfunction, they are totally lost, bless their hearts.

I think we should all start using cash again, write in cursive, and drive manual transmissions. We could cripple an entire generation!! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement