Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:24 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

Rocky our cat was only a few months short of 23 years old, and just a few years younger my our children at the time. The Cats Only Vet said he was the oldest cat she ever had in her practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:26 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
OP here,

Got the call. Next week when i can get in to the drs office, I'll pick up our new black kitten. Male, nit yet fixed but dewormed and shots. From the animal rescue squad.

Cant wait.

His name is already Alexander the Great, or Alex or Hey You for short. My OH has named him.

May he bring us as much love and companionship as our belove little man did.

Ill let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the condolences...

Old 12-02-2018, 04:59 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well, the vet called and our little man is hone with his cat shaped urn.

I feel half better.he is home now.

The other half is the empty spot on the bed still.

Im about to take a nap and he wont be there....
:>(
Ah well, i can pet the urn and talk to him.

I usually handle death well, but this has really got me

I’m right there with you. It’s been an awful four months. My oldest (17) girl cat, Tally, died mid August. A few days later, my 16 year old buddy cat, Baby, died. A week later we noticed one of our old ferals missing.

Mid September my husband suffered a seizure while driving, totaled his truck, and ended my retirement. He’s fine, he’s not permitted to drive right now, and we own a janitorial business, so I had no other option.

At the end of September another feral went missing, and another got ill. Mid October we took him in to be put down.

Three weeks later, our perfectly healthy 13 year cat, stopped eating. The vet said her body temp was way low, and it was time to let her go. No masses, nothing she could detect, just that she was dying.

Six cats gone in four months.

By the way, my oldest cat was 22 when he left us.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:36 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’m right there with you. It’s been an awful four months. My oldest (17) girl cat, Tally, died mid August. A few days later, my 16 year old buddy cat, Baby, died. A week later we noticed one of our old ferals missing.

Mid September my husband suffered a seizure while driving, totaled his truck, and ended my retirement. He’s fine, he’s not permitted to drive right now, and we own a janitorial business, so I had no other option.

At the end of September another feral went missing, and another got ill. Mid October we took him in to be put down.

Three weeks later, our perfectly healthy 13 year cat, stopped eating. The vet said her body temp was way low, and it was time to let her go. No masses, nothing she could detect, just that she was dying.

Six cats gone in four months.

By the way, my oldest cat was 22 when he left us.

So sorry to hear what happened to your DH. I hope he's going to be okay.

Losing that many pets in such a short time...I can't imagine. I felt so bad about Dakota and she was only one pet. It's really surprising me to see so many posts about really elderly cats. Dakota is the oldest I've ever had and all the rest went younger for various reasons. Usually NOT from illness but other things like coyotes, cars, etc.. That was years ago and since then I have never had an outdoor cat.

I watch a lot of those cute animal videos online and it makes me want another cat NOW. lol

Old 12-03-2018, 04:55 PM

OP here,

Sorry also myself to hear of such losses.

Our new little boy joins us on Wednesday.

I hope he has a great personality and a long life like our dear departed little one. I miss him SO much. I pet his urn when i come home, before bed and when i feel him missing.

And here i said for 3 years that " when he goes, no more pets. All they do is die on you too early "

Phhhttt on that idea!

Old 12-04-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
So sorry to hear what happened to your DH. I hope he's going to be okay.

Losing that many pets in such a short time...I can't imagine. I felt so bad about Dakota and she was only one pet. It's really surprising me to see so many posts about really elderly cats. Dakota is the oldest I've ever had and all the rest went younger for various reasons. Usually NOT from illness but other things like coyotes, cars, etc.. That was years ago and since then I have never had an outdoor cat.

I watch a lot of those cute animal videos online and it makes me want another cat NOW. lol
According to the neurologist, seizures are often one and done, and they never know why you had it. December 14 will be three months, no problems. So, yay!

And the two oldest cats were my cuddly ones. The other cats aren’t very cuddly at all. Last night I watched a Facebook video of a dog snuggling with his owner. I pressed replay and showed it to Ferb, one of my cats sitting on the table. I told him as he watched, See, this is what I’m missing. I need a cuddle. Then he jumped over to me and laid down for a minute.

There’s hope yet!

Old 12-04-2018, 09:05 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Spouse is not eligible, right?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Spouse is not eligible, right?
Well, different kind of cuddly, there.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:59 PM

OP here,

He has arrived. He meowed all the way home, but once i set his carrier down in the living room, he started a loud purr.

He spent the next 3 hours getting pettums/ luvins and Huggins from me, and when my OH came home, same thing purring his loud purr the whole time.

We decided to take a nap to introduce him to tte ifea of bedtime snuggles. He stayed a little while bouncing between us. Tgen he was off the bed to explore.

Hes got 4 tiny bells on his collar so we know where his is.
When i got up, he was of course under the bed.

So far hes not interested in the litter box or food.

He'll come around to that.

So far, we love him!

Old 12-06-2018, 01:20 PM

17 posts, read 9,493 times
OP,

What I suggest is ONLY a suggestion, based on my 10 years of volunteering with a local cat rescue.
Kitties often get lost in a large house and are unable to find the kitty box at first. Sometimes you add that with the fact that their tiny bladders only hold if for so long... We always recommended that new kitty stays in a smaller room for the first couple of days to adjust and learn the smells of the room. This will help him/her find the box when they are free in your home.

I hope this does not become an issue for you, but something to consider if it does.

I truly wish you and OH all the happiness only a soft purr can bring. Congratulations on your new family member!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement