Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

ironically i just got a call from the company i do the training for . they bought out another 3 location company and asked if i could do 4 days of training a week through december .

i said okay . i really don't mind doing it .

i am sure my wife is already planning how we will spend the extra money lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 10:03 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ironically i just got a call from the company i do the training for . they bought out another 3 location company and asked if i could do 4 days of training a week through december .

Good for you, does it affect your SS?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:06 AM

no , im 66. i have no limit ....

Old 12-04-2018, 10:48 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The issue of "Bragging" always seems to surface here. I'm sure there are ways to offer advice without the need to tell people how well one has done for oneself, how much more one has than others, and also berate others for not having done well for themselves. Just seems like a repetitive matter in this forum.
Bragging is the opinion of the reader. If someone is giving advice it's nice to know how qualified they are.
For example on real estate rentals I see people posting how horrible it is. But many haven't actually done it or only had one rental and ran it poorly. Or worse just parroting what others will say.
I have mentioned that I retired because of of it, doubled my net worth in 3 years and own over 20 rentals. Some people will say I'm bragging. But really the purpose is to qualify the quality of my posts when I advocate owning rentals. I think imho that I would take my advice more seriously than someone who became an accidental landlord and did it wrong then said all rental real estate is bad.

The curios thing is rather than ask me how I did it and maybe apply it themselves, most will just argue with me that what I did is not possible. They would rather be right at the expense of learning something.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:01 PM

605 posts, read 335,812 times
Quote:

how many hours a day is it?

Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM

when i do the training it is 7am to 4pm so it is a full day but i get breaks . but it is easy work , i enjoy it and they pay me very well.

last year i did a month in the finger lake region in ny in a beautiful touristy town in july . they had me bring my wife and she had a blast all day in a world class spa which they gave her as a perk for letting me do this . every night was fine dining on the company credit card or with the owner . he would not even let her buy a bottle of water .... so i don't mind at all if we have nothing planned .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-04-2018 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 12:58 PM

by the way , if anyone was in the factory automation , or electrical supply or pump/ motor industry the company is usually hiring and if you can bring something worthwhile to the party they may have a place for you . it helps to have had a following or connections to bring in business . we have employees in their 80's .

they have offices in long island , brooklyn , manhattan , queens , ohio , 2 in new jersey , Connecticut , rhode island , syracuse ny , auburn ny , buffalo ny , rochchester ny . just d/m me . i can't vouch for anyone here of course but i can at least get you noticed .

it is all owned by one man and i started 24 years ago with him and we were about a 6-8 million dollar company , he is on track to do about 113 million a year now .

Old 12-04-2018, 01:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
by the way , if anyone was in the factory automation , or electrical supply or pump/ motor industry the company is usually hiring and if you can bring something worthwhile to the party they may have a place for you . it helps to have had a following or connections to bring in business . we have employees in their 80's.

Amazingly, Nuclear Power is another source of employment for the older set. You don't need to be a Nuclear expert, you just need to know something that nuclear power plants require. Many civil, mechanical, and electrical design engineers work past the standard retirement ages. One Mechanical engineer retiring this week who is age 71, another retired 2 or 3 years ago at age 80.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:13 PM

being in sales is nice . all you need to do is bring the business in and many companies will pay you nicely if you want to go back to work . . you don't even have to do anything , just insure they keep buying via your relationships you made over the years .

Old 12-05-2018, 05:53 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I think it's pretty cool of Walmart to offer such unnecessary jobs, and I'm sure those who really need it don't see it as grim. Beats homelessness or death by a mile. Besides, it's not like sitting around watching tv or fartin around the interwebs is any better way to spend time.
Greeters do more than greet. They round up and organize the carts, check returns in, keep the front area cleaned up, answer customer questions, and monitor potential loss going out the door. It is a job and both older and younger people do it and take pride in their role.

I have a friend in his seventies who loves it and is beloved at his store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement