Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:58 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times

Advertisements

I actually loved my jobs as a biologist. I got to travel the world spending months at a time doing field work in remote areas and generally having a blast seeing the world. I look back at my life and am extremely grateful I had those opportunities, because being immersed in so many different cultures taught me a lot about the world I live in beyond my own little world at home. But my last job was more sedentary, so even though I also enjoyed it, when I could afford to retire a little early, I did.

I don't miss working so much as I miss the people and the mental stimulation. Volunteering twice a week helps with the isolation of retirement, since I live alone. It's the perfect solution for me. I've developed new friendships through volunteering, and I have part of my week scheduled, but free time for hobbies, puttering around the house, etc. I can give short notice to the hospital and miss some volunteer shifts, as we all cover for each other when someone is going to be out. I think I have things arranged pretty well for this stage of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 05:04 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Nope. Not one bit. Miss the people and Officers but definitely not the job. I'm happy and content on being a civilian.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:04 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
I don't miss working at all ! I do miss being healthy enough to work.Retirement fund went sideways.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:12 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
I thought I would miss working, but nope, not even for a minute.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:11 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
I’m almost 64 and retired 2 years. I miss a lot of things about work, especially some of the people I spent countless hours with over a 45 year career. I do not miss certain things about my job, but I do miss the routine somewhat. I could go to work someplace tomorrow and be fine with it, or not. All in all, retirement is what you make of it, and I think I’ve done a poor job so far of making it enjoyable.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:44 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
I haven't missed work for a second.

I will renew my licence for 3 years only to protect myself in case of a major market crash. Haven't worked in 3 years and 3 more to be safe.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I've been retired for nearly 12 years now, being fortunate enough to be able to retire with a federal pension just short of turning 55.

I miss some of the challenges associated with large work projects, and things associated with team building, and seeing the growth and enhanced abilities in some folks as a result of their successes. I also miss some of the relationships I had built over the years, but like others have stated work relationships often end when work is over.

But overall the negatives were sufficient to make me glad to be retired.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I enjoyed working for many years. I did grow weary toward the end of my working life. Things just kept changing, and I grew weary of the changes.

I have never wished to go back to work. I am happy in my retirement, which I consider a great gift.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
About 20 years ago, I found my dream vocation. I wrote books about old houses and then turned it into a full-time gig. I traveled throughout the country lecturing and doing book talks and getting PAID MONEY!

I enjoyed my career and had a lot of fun and met so many delightful people.

Now, at age 59, I cringe when someone asks me to do a lecture, and I don't like "traveling for work."

My point is, even something delightful and fun can turn into drudgery after a couple decades. I'm grateful that I can work part time and make a few dollars here and there, but I don't have to slave away 60+ hours a week anymore.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
OP is only 22 and hasn't had the pleasure of being beat down after decades of soul-sucking jobs.

Fortunately, I haven't had this issue.
I don't really know if I'll miss working... there are pro and cons to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
About 20 years ago, I found my dream vocation. I wrote books about old houses and then turned it into a full-time gig. I traveled throughout the country lecturing and doing book talks and getting PAID MONEY!

I enjoyed my career and had a lot of fun and met so many delightful people.

Now, at age 59, I cringe when someone asks me to do a lecture, and I don't like "traveling for work."

My point is, even something delightful and fun can turn into drudgery after a couple decades. I'm grateful that I can work part time and make a few dollars here and there, but I don't have to slave away 60+ hours a week anymore.
That's the issue with turning a favorite hobby in to a job. It's no longer a hobby, it's a job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement