Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 01:53 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times

Advertisements

I do believe that I'm more polite in most ways, less brash, I was never was pushy or demanding.

But while I'm polite I'm also less of a pushover than when I was younger. I don't equate quiet or acquiescence with politeness when it's plain that someone is trying to take advantage of my initial courtesy with the notion I won't push back when they start haranguing about something despite hints to change the subject/approach. I'm much more assertive & I will simply tell someone like that with very direct language what I think.

I dislike bullies & unlike in my youth I won't tolerate that kind of behavior. I have learned over the years that for some alpha individuals you need to be quite assertive & clearly state your case, though not insult them or get personal. I realize that this may be a regional thing & might be considered rude in some parts of the country where non-confrontation is considered politeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 06:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Well, I've become a great deal more considerate of poeope's feelings and sensitivities, so I guess tht makes me more polite. But I'm also abandoning and avoiding a lot of pre-literate "have a nice day" language, so I guess that makes me less polite.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:24 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
This is one very interesting thread. I see a couple posters here explaining how they are quite polite, and yet I've seen those same folks on other threads, slicing and dicing posters into bite-size pieces!

Old 12-12-2018, 05:45 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
This is one very interesting thread. I see a couple posters here explaining how they are quite polite, and yet I've seen those same folks on other threads, slicing and dicing posters into bite-size pieces!
I see your point. However, I am not discussing politics or religion or Supreme Court Justices with people I see on the street, at a store, or at church, etc. in this forum, I interact with people I seldom would know in “real life.” This is a place to discuss ideas.

Sadly, the political climate is now such that even friends and family do not discuss that because people are afraid opposing viewpoints will impair the relationship. I think that is a fair assessment.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
I have stayed the same I have always been polite, brought up to respect my elders. I open doors for others , always say thank you, and have a wonderful day to cashiers, people who help me. I would prefer to be polite and kid it makes me feel better too.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:14 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:

Maybe what they meant is that they're polite in real life but reveal their true selves in forums.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Maybe what they meant is that they're polite in real life but reveal their true selves in forums.
Maybe we reveal our anger on the Politics section of the forum. I am very concerned and unhappy about where our country is headed. It doesn’t work to discuss these feelings with fellow citizens. There is too much anger on both sides. That’s why the C-D is a good outlet.

Last edited by staywarm2; 12-12-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 12-12-2018, 12:14 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
I'm more polite I think. I always was polite, please, thank you, pardon me, but I was more outspoken about my beliefs when I was younger. Now I realize that others have as much right to their beliefs (no matter how stupid I might think those ideas to be) as I do, and so I often don't bother to try to debate it.

I was a little stunned by someone, a stranger in a meeting or class, who looked at me and pulled a face when I said "Pardon me?" because I needed something repeated. They said in a sarcastic and mocking tone "Pardon me??? What is this the 1800's?" or something like that. I was so annoyed I answered rudeness with rudeness, which I usually try to avoid. I said "If you like I can translate that for you". I mean what the heck?? He'd apparently never heard anyone say "pardon me"????

Being retired, I am more patient with those who are just oblivious, I have time to wait, but less patient with the willfully rude.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:46 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
I was talking about real life in my post. But I will admit, I do get a wee bit more grouchy if I feel I'm being insulted or disrespected here. That's because I have the time to think up a good response and I can edit if need be.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Maybe we reveal our anger on the Politics section of the forum. I am very concerned and unhappy about where our country is headed. It doesn’t work to discuss these feelings with fellow citizens. There is too much anger on both sides. That’s why the C-D is a good outlet.

I don't even waste my time in the Politics forum. I know I won't change any minds in there and no one will ever change mine. It would just be an exercise in futility and frustration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement