Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

Cbsnews, they run out of news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Most retiree support I have seen is spent on numerous rehab ...(addictions / health / mental health) (at $20k to $100k per rehab treatment)

Several retired friends are raising their grandkids / sibling's kids... due to drugs / abandonment, incarceration... (paying for raising grandkids + providing dependent healthcare)

College?

It is really cheap (loans to students) and very effective to have kids pay-their-own-way'

If for some reason you desire... you can repay the deferred loans as a graduation gift. At least the student covered the need and SIGNED the note!(if borrowing).

By design... mine were on their own financially well before they attended college at age 16. I would have been a dismal failure as a parent had I not equipped them for that. (I was a caregiver for a parent by age 18), I wanted them to be capable, but hope they will never be required to disrupt their life (again) for me. Being a 'kid' was rough enough for them! (Homeschooling, volunteering, farming, living internationally...)

Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
What many don't realize is that if parents support their adult children, more than likely the children will end up financially supporting their elderly parents later on.
Hahahahaha!! Doubt it.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't understand why the federal student loan application REQUIRES the parent's financial info. If the applicant is an adult, how is this legal?
They're not an adult on the FAFSA until they are 24. And colleges and grad schools may still want parent info, even when an adult goes back to school! They want to know what the family's financial situation is, so that they can focus aid on people who come from very poor families, even if the students are way past the usual age for school.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:42 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
What many don't realize is that if parents support their adult children, more than likely the children will end up financially supporting their elderly parents later on.

To be honest, I haven't seen that happening. Among my circle of friends I've seen the kids show up to give physical support (help grandma move to her new place, for example), and to be present/talk to doctors when a parent is dying. Financial help or moving in with the kids, not really. Maybe that will change with time.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:41 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Most retiree support I have seen is spent on numerous rehab ...(addictions / health / mental health) (at $20k to $100k per rehab treatment)

Several retired friends are raising their grandkids / sibling's kids... due to drugs / abandonment, incarceration... (paying for raising grandkids + providing dependent healthcare)

College?

It is really cheap (loans to students) and very effective to have kids pay-their-own-way'

If for some reason you desire... you can repay the deferred loans as a graduation gift. At least the student covered the need and SIGNED the note!(if borrowing).

By design... mine were on their own financially well before they attended college at age 16. I would have been a dismal failure as a parent had I not equipped them for that. (I was a caregiver for a parent by age 18), I wanted them to be capable, but hope they will never be required to disrupt their life (again) for me. Being a 'kid' was rough enough for them! (Homeschooling, volunteering, farming, living internationally...)
As many have pointed out, financial aid to students is based on the parents’ financial profile. If your parents make a lot of money, the options available as a student are often more limited than if your parents make little money. While some states have plentiful scholarship/low cost options for all students, that is certainly not the case in all states.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:02 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would move, too.

I used to work with a woman who called her mom on the phone during the day, yelling at her about taking care of the kids, cleaning their rooms, even how to arrange the toys in their rooms. She would verbally abuse her poor mom who was selflessly watching the kids so her daughter could work and not have to pay for childcare.
I know quite a few people who do free daycare for the grandkids. One, on the Widows/Widowers Board I used to frequent, really needed a paying job but she knew if she quit doing the free daycare she'd never be allowed to see her grandkids again. Another drives 3 hours to take care of hers a couple of days a week. Daughter is a psychiatric nurse; I don't know what son-in-law does. I love mine dearly and I'm very active for my age, but those two little sweeties wear me out. They live 3 hours away and DDIL is a SAHM so that's not happening in my case.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:03 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Our youngest was not a student and it was a challenge to get him through school. We told him that he would need to find a full-time job when he graduated from HS. The school counselors advised us and him to apply to Tier 4 colleges. We knew he was not ready. He has been working full-time for nearly two years and living on his own. We gave him a car to get to work and he has been living in a studio condo we own and paying the bills to understand what it is like to live on his own. The cost to live in the condo is fairly low and near where he works allowing him to save a considerable amount of his earnings. He has invested a substantial portion in stocks as well as savings.

This has been a good experience for him and he is exploring opportunities where he works. They will pay for courses but also offer training opportunities some of which he has already taken advantage of.

At first he thought we were being unfair since he did not want to move out and most of his HS friends never worked a job while in HS or while they are in college. They spend most of their time playing video games and are given generous allowances for personal entertainment and expenses. However, our son just took his first vacation to Florida and is planning a trip out of the country in the near future. Although it has been a soft launch for him, he is not doing bad for young 20 year old and has gained a lot of social and personal experience and confidence as he plans his future path.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:50 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

College?

I've seen a ton of this myself.

One of my high school best friends had a drug addiction and mental health issues. He shot himself with ratshot and nearly destroyed his eye. His parents paid for an extremely expensive eye procedure at a teaching hospital which saved his vision.

He committed suicide a few months later.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:57 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
^^^^^^^ We don't know the pain others are feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement