Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 02:24 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
10 years ago, after retirement, we thought condo life was for us; sold the 3 story family house of over 25 years, bought an oceanfront condo in FL and one in MA...we were Snowbirds
After 5 years we had enough of sharing walls, hallway noise, along with never ending fees and assessments...think twice before making that leap.
Understand your pain. We live in a condo about 5 blocks from the beach, every place is walkable which I love. But the noise from neighbors, all it takes is one bad one and now airBnB which even though is ban in building an d area is really impossible to control has brought a constant move in and out of people that don’t care about building nor rules they are there to party.

So we are looking now at retiring in a small but nice house, the place we are looking doesn’t allow yards since it’s a preserve so no grass to cut.

Yep condo living has its pluses and minuses, plus don’t get me started about the numbers that stopped paying HOA when economy hit the dumps forcing rest to pick up the tab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 03:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
We snowbird and have two single family homes. Both are ranch style and require minimal upkeep. Our main home in Alaska just needs to be mowed once a week in the summer, which takes less than an hour. In the winter we're there for about a month over the holidays, so I shovel or snowblow as needed, which takes very little time. Our winter home in Arizona has desert landscaping, so we have a gardener come a few times a year to take care of that. So over the course of a year, I average less than one hour a week for upkeep, which isn't a problem, since we're retired. Both homes are in nice neighborhoods, so no problems to deal with. When just one of us is left, either house is suitable for one person and the other one will just be sold.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:23 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Keep the NYC "attitude' under control, and feel free to roam about the country. There is nothing so aggravating or alienating than to hear "that's not how we do it up north".
Note to self: Avoid Tennessee & the arrogance/ignorance demonstrably there.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:33 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
We retired and upsized. Then doubled up: Deer Valley for ski season; Las Vegas for the rest of the year.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:41 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
"The Last of the Mohicans" was a book written in 1826 by James Fennimore Cooper. It was a classic that was required reading for high school students back in the day. IDK do students read books anymore? No, they probably just watch the movie.
As a product of the public education system in Los Angeles in the 1960s, I never learned readin', rightn' or 'rithmetic.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:46 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
"The Last of the Mohicans" was a book written in 1826 by James Fennimore Cooper. It was a classic that was required reading for high school students back in the day. IDK, do students read books anymore? No, they probably just watch the movie.
Well if m happy to tell you that they still read many novels in public schools. Don’t believe all the negative stuff you hear.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:08 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
We retired and upsized. Then doubled up: Deer Valley for ski season; Las Vegas for the rest of the year.
Old people aren’t supposed to do that. Didn’t you get the memo? Me neither. We’ll retire to 10 acres and a slightly larger home.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:15 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,790 times
Downsizing is like dieting. Such a PITA to go through, but when it's done you feel so great. Seriously, I knew it would be a smart thing to downsize but I really didn't realize how good it would feel to be free of so much of my old stuff.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
Is that why I still have to lose 15lbs, I have a large size home.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Is that why I still have to lose 15lbs, I have a large size home.
Only 8 more # to get back to HS weight (which should be nice, but I can't seem to reach my HS 'W-i-d-t-h' (Did we really have 20 - 22+ waists in HS?...))

I am going to start adding my 'downsizing' progress to my weight loss stats.

I will start with a pile of cement blocks!
books for the winter!

When I sell by bulldozer I will begin to feel really light!

DS will like that... I am always being instructed to 'practice' my bulldozer landscaping at the neighbors. I can make a pretty big mess very quickly.

Just been outside trying to prune my shrubs. OMG, they seem to have gotten BIG in 28 yrs in this 'new' house. I might need to buy a logging truck! I have 300' tall trees in my 'forest', but the ones I planted near home are 80+ ft tall. The Rhodies are having a BANG-up year. some are over 30' tall. Tulips over 3' tall.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...hodie-g10.html

In my 'retirement home'... I will garden as a 'volunteer' in local parks. Where all can 'enjoy' the fruits of my labor. such as a favorite ...
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks...ction=viewpark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement