Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:16 AM

749 posts, read 581,006 times

Advertisements

Those of you past 65: does thinking about this topic interest you? Do you dwell on it or is too sad or pessimistic? Even if you are in decent good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 08:27 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
I think anyone with a sense of foresight thinks about (but doesn't obsess on) this; those who don't pay a heavier price later in life.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:30 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I'm aware but don't dwell on it.

.....in a straight, numbered line, stand on your age, say 65, and look back how many years you've had. Now look the other way to what's ahead...

Brings home the fact that your life is not that far from being over.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:33 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Those of you past 65: does thinking about this topic interest you? Do you dwell on it or is too sad or pessimistic? Even if you are in decent good health.

I wouldn't call it sad or pessimistic, but once you get past the basic goal of getting your ducks in a row, it does seem pointless. Why waste time dwelling on something when you have no way of knowing? You could get hit by a truck an hour from now. Or, you could live to be 100. Even when it comes to have my ducks in a row, I wouldn't say I spend more time thinking about it now than I did when I was younger. I've always done things like make a will, etc.

So I guess my answer is I have just enough time left to find ways to enjoy myself every day.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 05-25-2019 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-25-2019, 08:45 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I try to enjoy my time here, not to worry about things I can’t control. But the flip side is if everybody lives until 100 then we would have a different problem, I mean globally.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:02 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
I'm 67 &, using actuarial odds, figure on somewhere roughly around 84-85, not to predict my future but for general planning purposes when I get too passive & unmotivated in the present to do something I should just get up & do. I plan for my finances to last a bit beyond that but have decided that strictly adhering to the "4% rule" right now in the beginning while I am as healthy & energetic as I will ever be isn't wise. In 10-15 years I will be less interested in travel & toys... or dead... & my spending will be accordingly less.

Predicting is iffy though, if we previously knew for certain we would all be enjoying robot butlers & flying cars or monorails by now. No male in my direct bloodline has ever lived past 75yo but my mother will turn 93 in 5 months & her sisters are similarly long lived.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:11 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I don't think about how much time I have left, but I do sometimes wonder what is going to be the thing that kills me. Currently I'm very healthy, no sign of illness that I'm aware of, but everyone dies of something.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:24 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I don't think about how much time I have left, but I do sometimes wonder what is going to be the thing that kills me. Currently I'm very healthy, no sign of illness that I'm aware of, but everyone dies of something.
Right now I’m healthy but the next shoe to drop is my worry, which one.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,395,120 times
While I am not past 65 but "only" 59, my boyfriend died suddenly at 59 (heart attack, very healthy and athletic prior to that), plus my best friend from childhood died from breast cancer at 56 - two people closest to me besides my immediate family ... on the other hand, one of my grandfathers lived til 99 (almost 100) and was healthy up until 6 weeks prior to death. So, my "remaining life" expectations are bracketed between the age of 59 and 100... actually, I have started thinking about the length of my remaining time CONSTANTLY a few months ago, as I approached the fatal (for my late partner) 59th birthday... the best use of the remaining time took the place of saving for retirement as the chief concern for the future (simultaneously, the financial issues almost completely disappeared from my thoughts - budgeting for the next 40 years is pretty much done). So, I am scheduling everything with the assumption that I will live either 40 more minutes, or 40 more years. I constantly try to "feel good NOW", this moment, because every second of not feeling somewhere between simply content and fabulously thrilled seems like a horrific waste. My main question right now is how to prevent "overplanning" of trips and other enjoyable experiences, to leave enough space for happy surprises. That's it, basically.....

Old 05-25-2019, 09:55 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Nope, not really.

My "gene pool" is such that living until my 80's or 90's is a thing.....but I don't dwell on that because anything can happen.

I just make certain I do what I want to do - and now that I am retired (as of last October) we are doing just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement